Monday, December 05, 2005

My Brother and the Buzzard

When I was a kid we lived on a farm. I recall one time that my brother took a shot at a buzzard flying over. He actually didn’t think he would hit it, since he was just aimlessly shooting, but he did and killed it. It fell down on top of our roof! Well, buzzards are nasty animals and eat road kill and any dead thing they can find. We had a cistern and the rainwater ran off the roof, into the gutters, and into the cistern.

My Dad made my brother get on the roof and remove the buzzard and unhook the gutter drains and then wash the roof! My brother was so mad! It was his fault but somehow he blamed the buzzard.

My brothers are all great guys! That same brother and some years later, they decided to clean out the cistern. I remember after they pumped all the water out and he was down in there. I yelled down and asked him what was down there. He said, “There’s chicken bones, dirt, and I don’t know what all. And there’s about to be puke!” Poor guy! He managed to get it cleaned out without upchucking after all!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that must have been a nasty job to clean out that cistern! I wonder how the chicken bones got in there?

12:32 PM  
Blogger David said...

Thanks for stopping by to pay me a visit. There is a cistern on our family farm that the wife and her sister use to clean out. I could never do that but did relate to your story.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I don't know how all us farm folks stayed alive, I'd say we're well innoculated. Good to know, I'm sure, that you'd been drinking the water from there. Or were you??
Btw, you're right, those buzzards are nasty.

2:07 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

This post is so colorful Rachel...I love the whole buzzard story...Your poor dear brother having to clean out all that c---!
(lol) Not funny to him, I'm sure!

8:32 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Margaret, I'd say with kids around over the years (people lived there before us with little kids) they probably tossed them in there.

Thanks for stopping by David!

Yes Cliff, we were drinking the water then!

Naomi, the funniest part was when he said there was about to be puke down there too!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

He must have been shocked when he hit that buzzard. When my son first shot a bird, he cried and cried. Then, he got to where he shot birds and rabbits and didn't shed a tear.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

Cute story Rachel, glad that you shared it with us! Happy that you have good memories of your brothers. Thank you for stopping by my blog.....will write more as the inspiration, as Cliff calls it, hits me!

3:28 AM  
Blogger EV said...

"... blamed the buzzard." hehehehehe
Like it was the buzzard's idea. ;)

5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter