Saturday, November 26, 2005

Post Thanksgiving Weekend

I had a great Thanksgiving! I went to my nephew's. He lives about 12 miles from here. My two nephews and their families were there and my brother and his wife. We had a great time visiting and there was soooo much food. My nephew's wife is such a good cook. I know she had been so busy with all that food she had prepared. Then afterwards trying to find room in the fridge for everything! I think we pretty much decided that next year we'd just go out and eat and it'd be simpler for everyone! I was told not to bring any food, but I did take a cake over. My sister-in-law had brought 2-3 dishes plus she brought the ham.

After we ate then we all visited for awhile and then later we had coffee and dessert. There was plenty to choose from. My sister-in-law had made a whiskey cake, which I had never tried, and it was good. I had made a Double Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake, but even though it was good, it was too much chocolate for me. Then they had a pumpkin roll (which is always good), pumpkin pie (I didn't have any due to too much other stuff), a brownie cheesecake, and fudge (both chocolate and peanut butter). I'm not much on peanut butter fudge but I love chocolate fudge! Yummy stuff! So, all in all it's a good thing I wore pants that were about a size too big with an elastic waistband! I went prepared!

Yesterday was the big shopping day, but I don't get out in all that mess of people. You won't find me at the store at 4 a.m. waiting for it to open at 5 a.m. I'd have to want something awfully bad in order to do that! I know some people look forward to it and get up early and go for it with gusto! At 5 a.m. I'm sleeping soundly. I see no need to interrupt it for a few bargains with danger of being trampled in the process!

Today I raked leaves. I'm not fond of raking leaves. I was hoping the wind would blow them all back in the neighbor's yard but it didn't work out that way. I considered waiting longer but I figured if it hadn't happened by now that it wasn't going to happen. So I got out the rake and the leaf blower. I used the blower until they got too thick to blow. Then I had to rake. It was in the 60's today, so I was sweating! I also fell twice. Leaves are very slippery and easy to slide on, even when they aren't wet, and especially on a slope. It didn't help my bad knees any. I expect they'll be sore tomorrow. Sorer than usual that is.

I figure a good soak in a warm tub of water is in order tonight. That should soothe this old aching body. I wish I had a hot tub. Does anyone reading this have a hot tub? I wonder if they are hard to maintain or expensive to heat, etc. Just curious. It sounds like a luxury that I would enjoy having.

My nephew told me that he is planning on buying a houseboat. I said, "Oh boy!" In that case I better try to get my schoolgirl figure back before summer gets here!

10 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh Rachel, it sounds like a wondeful Thanksgiving! When you said the cake you made was too rich for you...I'd be happy to take it off your hands at any moment!!! And you could include a little chocolate fudge in that package, too! (lol)

I don't have a hot tub, but everyone I know who does have one absolutely loves it! I think, from what I hear, they do take a certain amont of maintainence, but I haven't met anyone yet who is unhappy with the trade-off....sounds like it might be VERY good for your knees, too!

Missed you here in Blogland!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thank you Naomi!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Your Thanksgiving meal sounds good.
I've finished the raking thing. We have snow now so it's just shovelling time until Spring.
I've often thought of getting a hot tub but with the cold weather I'm afraid I'd get out and my wet hand would freeze to the door and I'd be stuck on my deck all winter,ha,ha..

5:25 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Wow Rachel, what a day. Our tastes must be very similar. The mini reunion sounded like a very nice way to spend the day.
We're fortunate that we have no neighbors and all of our trees are only a couple of years old. Even when we were surrounded by the big cottonwoods we would just let the leaves blow away. Take care girl.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Sounds like a great time - lot of deserts and that is always good. But, watch those knees.
Ralph

11:59 AM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

Sounds like a lovely holiday; glad you had a good time. Homemade fudge is my big weakness, too! I would LOVE to have a hot tub; if the store takes off that's my second addition to the house. Right after getting a kitchen!

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh great, now I want a hot tub too....

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you fell! How are your knees doing?
My sister and her husband have an outdoor hot tub in their new house that they haven't moved into yet. They live in Santa Cruz, CA, which is where my husband and I will be for Xmas this year. I wish we'd be able to use the hot tub while we're there, but I don't think so. *sad face*

10:22 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Double Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake is a Paula Deen recipe, and I've made it three times. It is very chocolately and sweet. There are other kinds of butter cake recipes too. I love them!
Raking leaves is a good workout.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

I'd love to have a hot tub, but I'm afraid the cost of heating it would be too much. Plus I would never get anything done and if I ever did get out of it I would be all wrinkly...EWWWW

Nice Thanksgiving post.

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter