Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Early Thanksgiving Dinner

Last evening I was ever present watching the radar on here to see how the storms were doing. With tornados all over the place and the radar showing the lines of storms from the north US to the southern states, I thought it wise to pay close attention! Thankfully they weakened by the time they got here. We had lots of wind and anything not nailed down got tossed around good! We had lots of lightening. I heard that a church in the northern part of the county was struck by lightening and burned down overnight. So I went out this morning, to MUCH colder weather, and picked up the small limbs that it scattered over some of the lawn. It was 75 yesterday and 48 today. Big change! But it's that time of the year, so not really a surprise. I'm just thankful we didn't get the bad weather that some got.

Today our Sunday School class had our monthly dinner. We had it at one lady's house and she prepared the whole meal. She fixed us a Thanksgiving dinner. I must say it was delicious. She had plenty of food and she is a good cook! I felt like going and climbing in bed and taking a nap after stuffing myself shamelessly!! But after some coffee I managed to stay awake! I got my husband's cousin to come and stay with him while I was gone. It is nice to get out and not have to worry about him here at home alone. Then I don't feel rushed and I can relax and chat and drink coffee and visit without having to eat and run, so to speak! Sure makes it better for me.

I finally got my garage door fixed. The guys came out and I don't know what they did but I saw they had a hammer and after much beating on something, it certainly comes up now with no problem whatsoever. Glad to get that taken care of.

Hard to believe that this year is winding down and will be over before we know it. Time passes so fast. Earlier this week I saw a house with their Christmas lights all on! I feel like they are rushing things, but if they like them then that's their business. My neighbor always decorates his yard big time. He doesn't start on it this early though. I do love looking at the Christmas lights. There is another house about a mile from here that has the prettiest decorations. I mean everything has lights on it. It is the kind of place where you have to stop and just look to take it all in. It is in a subdivision and off the main drag, so stopping to stare and ohhh and ahhh is an okay thing to do! I could not begin to even guess how many lights it takes for all that. About a gazillion I'd say!

6 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I'm glad your garage door is finally working again.
That yummy meal sounds good to me. I'm trying to be good about my calories until Thanksgiving day. I will splurge BIG time then.
I love the holiday lights and cheer. I do think that it gets rushed and people don't take time to even really acknowledge Thanksgiving much. Walmart started playing Christmas music the day after Halloween. I guess it will be holiday mania from now until the New Year.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel --

Boy, you guys have had some bad weather. My parents are visiting down around Tornado Alley for the first time ever (we live in Calgary, Alberta) and they've apparently picked a pretty bad time to go.

And speaking of early Christmas decorations, I noticed a couple of days ago that a house behind us has their tree up already, glowing and sparkling in front of the window. Yeah, I'm thinkin' it's just a tad bit early. We don't do any decorating at all until the first week of December at the earliest and come January 2nd, I'm ready to take it all down.

I love to look at lights, too -- especially those gazillion light houses. :)

6:17 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Yo Rachel. Good deal on the garage door. I'm glad they didn't have to put on a new one.
The meal sounds good but I think I'll wait for a week from tomorrow.
I'm glad you could get away and relax. I know you can relax at home but I'm sure it's nice to just do something different.
See you later.

6:45 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It does feel early for the Christmas lights, doesn't it? Here in L.A. Each year there are more and more homes that have lights and displays and the like....I like it very much because it is so very festive and I think people are so much friendlier because of 'the season', you know?...
I'm so happy for you Rachel that the Garage Door is finally fixed!!! Wheew! I know you are happy, too! Glad also that you did NOT have the worst of that storm...

8:21 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Yummy food! Our weather also drastically changed in temp. I'm here from Cliff's blog. Do you now his family?

10:42 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Green eyed lady; No I don't know Cliff's family. Just met him on here!

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter