Sunday, November 13, 2005

Northern or Southern?

You can go to this site http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest.html and take a test to find out if you are more Yankee or more Rebel.

I was 91% Dixie!

I still find that I say a lot of those southern words that we spoke when I was growing up. Mostly we just thought of them as Hillbilly words though! We used to call a paper bag a "poke." "Grab us a poke or two and we'll go pick some mustard greens." Then there were things that you bought at the store which were called, "brought on." "Did you make that yourself Nelly?" "Oh, no it's brought on." If someone asked you how far it was to someone's house, it might be "a right smart piece," or "it's not fur at all, just a skip and a hop from here." When you went to the doctor and he asked how long you had been having the pain, you said, "Oh, it's been hurtin fur a right smart while Doc!"

I know one lady that says, "Pon my honor!" I think it must have started out as "Upon my honor." "Pon my honor children! If you all don't weed this garden the weeds is goina take over!" This wonderful lady is in a nursing home now and she stills says, "Pon my honor, they can't cook in here fit fur nothin!"

"Bless his or her heart," is another one that is used a lot. It seems an insult is softened somewhat by using "Bless their heart." Like, "Bless her heart, she is so bucktoothed that she could eat a ear of corn through a picket fence!" Or, "Bless his heart, if his brain was cotton it wouldn't be enough to make a Kotex for an ant!"

Well y'all, I'll mosey on off here fur today I reckin. Got the grits on the stove.............

8 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Love all the very special southern-hillbilly(?) sayings....Very flavorful! I may have to begin using some of them...Hope you are having a terrific Sunday, Rachel...

3:18 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Have you been to this site?
http://todaysdeepsouth.blogspot.com/

A lot of Southern Stuff--and people--I'm sure you'll enjoy.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks Paul! I'll check it out!

6:29 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Okay Rachel, I'm 50% Yankee, according to the test. This was pure entertainment reading your blog. Hope you had a good weekend. C

6:56 PM  
Blogger EV said...

I was really curious to do the test. I was born and raised in Chicago, but have been in Texas for over twenty years now - and love it!

Almost everything I answered came up Great Lakes. The scoring tabulated out to 33% yankee.

Thanx it was fun!

5:29 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I just did the test and I came out 50%...which is pretty bizarre because I grew up in New York, 17 miles from Manhatten...It had to have been the "Gone With The Wind" influence! (lol)

7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got 72% Dixie. Maybe that's why I'm having trouble adjusting to Indiana again. I've turned into one of the Dukes of Hazard!

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting! I am 35% Yankee. I've noticed that I used to say things one way, but now I say things differently. I used to call all soft drinks "pop" (I think that's an Iowa thing--that's where I grew up), but now I say soda (now I live in Chicago). Hmmm...

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter