Sunday, November 06, 2005

Tornados

I went to church this morning and heard someone saying there had been a tornado overnight that touched down in northern KY and jumped the river and went into southern IN where several people were killed. I always hate to hear about tornados. In 1974 (April 3, I'll never forget that date!) our home was destroyed by a tornado. I was not home and my parents, my oldest brother and his son, all got into the cellar and were okay. It was so amazing to me that things it takes years to build can be wiped off the map in a few seconds. Ever since then I've always paid close attention to the weather when those cold fronts are moving through. If we are expecting severe storms in our area I will sit up and keep a watch on the radar, usually on the computer.

They are saying now that 16 were killed but there may be more. My heart goes out to those folks.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ralph said...

Living in Colorado we have few and less severe tornados that other place. But in 1991 one hit Limon and I was sent out there to assess the damage. What I say was unbelievable - a metal shed balanced on a powerline, trees ripped out of the ground and porches destroyed yet the flower pot right in the center was untouched.
I am sure this is all nothing compared to a major tornados but lifes were affected, fortunately no one was seriously hurt.
You will always remember 1974.
Ralph

1:20 PM  
Blogger Pawpaw said...

Yeah, tornados seem to be random events of unspeakable destruction. Hopefully in a few years we'll get the breakthroughs to accurately predict them.

I've been through two. That's enough.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Wow Rachel, we've been working all day and haven't had a tv or radio on. Hadn't heard a thing. Sorry to hear about this. Glad you're safe and our prayers go out to those who got hit.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

I will never forget the one time I ever heard a tornado. Fortunely, everything was fine. But it is the scariest sound...

1:49 PM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

At least with hurricanes we have some advanced warning! WE get smaller tornados in Florida, but we have no basements around here... the water table is to close to the surface.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter