Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Today's Rant


With all the leaves off the trees now, this is the view of the houseboats below. I wished I could say that I owned that blue and white one down there, but I can't. Well, I could say it but I'd be lying! Actually I'd like to own any of them! They never take these boats out though. I have seen a couple take them out but rarely. They just come to visit the boats on the water and stay in them. One right below us they have some big time partying on during the summer! Last year they (2 guys) got into an argument over who had drunk somebody else's beer all up. I heard some awfully foul language. The foul language came from only one guy. The other guy answered more softly so I couldn't hear him. The women came out and got them quieted down. I was getting ready to call the water patrol on them with language like that! If they get that loud we can hear it if we're outside. Laughing and having a good time is one thing but I don't want to listen to words that no one should have to hear. That's distrubing my peace!

Last Saturday I raked leaves. I also used the blower some too. I put a gazillion over the hill. Then on Sunday my allergies were acting up something fierce. I didn't even feel like going to church.

Monday the wind blew so hard all day and then that evening we got storms and hard rain. It blew about half the leaves back up the hill and over the fence, but luckily they kept right on blowing over across the road and into the neighbor's yard and then on and on. With that wind it's no telling how far some of them went! I went down to feed the stray cats that day and I stopped to pick up another neighbor's chairs that had blown all over her driveway from her patio. One was at the edge of the road. They are those green hard plastic kind (we have some but they're white). I stacked them up and put them behind her house. Then about a mile on down I found another trash can in the road. I got it and took it down and put it on the carport. I would want someone to get my trash cans instead of leaving them in the road (if they could safely do so), so I always do it for others if I can.

Coming back from feeding the cats I saw a truck parked by the road. That particular stretch of road is a drop off cliff to a creek on one side (that feeds into the lake) and a fence with a cornfield on the other side, so it's isolated and people tend to toss their junk off there at times. These people had a sofa in the bed of the truck and he was slinging the cushions over the hill as I was approaching them. I slowed down but I was afraid to stop and tell them what I thought. They know they aren't supposed to dump stuff. It's been cleaned up several times before and they can fine you and make you clean it up if they know you did it. I did not have my digital camera with me or I would have taken a picture, but then would I? Or would I have been too scared to? There was a man and a woman. I think it was a woman, the person kind of hunkered down on the other side of the truck because they knew they were doing wrong! I could only see them looking back in my rearview mirror. I was torn between wanting to stop and get their license number but then I thought they might follow me and learn where I lived and get revenge somehow. Some people are crazy and I was alone. I thought it best to drive on. Gosh, I need to keep my digital camera with me! Of course now the sofa is turned upside down right there by the road. It makes me very angry too!

They used to have the Goodwill buildings around at the Grocery store parking lots and you could drop off stuff in them. One thing people did that made me mad was to drop off their old worn out things that they wanted rid of (like the people with the sofa), and they were worthless stuff that the Goodwill folks had to dispose of. One day I saw some guys sitting out an old couch and chair and it was raining! I wanted to stop and tell them off too, but I was afraid to. The drop off boxes aren't big enough to put furniture in. They did have a space with a door that you could have put a small chest of drawers or lamps, bookshelf, just small things. They got rid of those buildings and only have them now in front of the Goodwill stores. I heard on the news that they removed them because people were seen stealing things from them! Geesh. I don't understand people at all. I guess they never read the commandment, "Thou shall not steal."

That reminds me of a story! I used to work at a large University Hospital. This one guy I worked with he was very funny and I considered him a friend. They were doing some construction there and one day while we were going to lunch there was a little paper bag of nails sitting in a window. He stopped and looked in it and he said, "Oh I could use a few nails this size." So he got about 6 and put in his pocket. I said, "Joe, thou shall not steal!" He said, "Good grief, I take a few little nails and Rachel is quoting the commandments to me!" It was funny the way he said it! He kept the nails too.

11 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Rachel, glad to see you didn't blow any leaves over Cliff again.
The dumpers really make me angry also. Wouldn't you love to had the sheriff roll up right then. Thanks for following our little four man blog today. You're a winner. I love your blog.

8:15 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I love reading your posts Rachel.I know I've said this before, but I need to say it again..you paint such a clear picture of everything that I create all the places you write about, in my head....I love when you go feed the stray cats...and the people with the couch...HELP!!! And I can see them and the place, and everything...like you, I woild be abit frightened that whomever might come after me...I do not understand people, at all...that old expression 'The World is going to hell in a handbasket...' It sure feels lkie it when you realize so maby people don't thinl any of 'the rules' apply to THEM!!!

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel,
We get lots of dumped stuff out here in the country. There was a washing machine thrown into the creek. Vinyl luggage with a rip in it, etc. Usually they do it when the corn is up, which limits the visibility. Jerks!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

BTW Rachel, I've read a few of your comments and I wanted to say you're welcome anytime to sit where "the light in the kitchen is on", or we'll build a fire and stand out in cold and visit. You need to see Nebraska.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Whistle Britches said...

That guy that stole the nails probably ended up stealing bigger and bigger things and now is in nail jail. I'm sure he'll remember your voice softly quoting the ten commandments and always wish he had listened. Thanks for dropping by my blog.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Naomi, thanks so much! I'll keep trying to write things in a way that you can visualize it!

Cliff, thanks for the invite! If I'm ever in Kansas I'll try to look you up (but I'd warn you in advance!). When I think of Kansas I naturally think of Dorothy and Toto.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Nebraska Rachel, Nebraska.
When I think of Kansas I think of basketball.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Sorry Cliff. NEBRASKA, Right! I told you I sprained my brain! LOL

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That really burns me. I can't believe how people can be so thoughtless and callous--those dumpers should be dumped. Over the edge of a huge cliff with lots of rocks at the bottom! I'm glad you considered your safety though and didn't stop and confront them. Hopefully karma will come around and bite them in the a$$ some day.

I liked your story of the friend who took the nails. Hee!

5:35 PM  
Blogger StringMan said...

Hi Rachel ... you certainly do live in a beautiful part of the world. Here in the Northeast, raking leaves has left me with the sorest muscles I've felt in years. Next will be the snow! Ugh. Thanks for stopping by and suggesting a song. Your blog is great.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I would be mad too. Dumping junk like that or leaving it along side the road just makes someone else have to clean it up.
As for stealing from charities. That is the lowest!
I posted quite awhile back about how I witnessed a lady stealing a bunch of jewelry at a flea market. She took handfuls of it and shoved it in her purse.
I was dumbfounded! I did tell the owners of the booth, but the lady had scrambled outside and got away. I would love to have made a citizen's arrest, but I know I would be too scared to do that.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter