Sunday, February 05, 2006

This and That

We got some snow last night. It's all gone now. It was so pretty falling. We don't seem to get snow much anymore. When I was a kid I remember we got some deep snows. I can remember wading through the big drifts! Our neighbor's lane used to really drift bad and she couldn't get out if we had a big snow. I recall once we had gone to the store and she wanted some things. I took that box of food to her and her lane had drifts up to my neck. It was very cold and the box I could just slide along the top of the crusted snow for the most part. That was a lot of fun going through all that snow back then. I don't know that it would be now.

Last Thursday evening I went to see Mark Lowry, who was here in town with his "God is Crazy About You" tour. Myself and some others from my church went. It was very enjoyable. He is a great singer and he's so funny!! Here is one of his jokes;

The pastor asked young Paul what his favorite Bible story was.
"I guess the one about Noah and the Ark, where they floated around on the water for 40 days and 40 nights," replied Paul.
"That was a good story," agreed the pastor. "And, with all that water, I bet they had a good time fishing, don't you think?"
Paul thought for a moment, then replied, "I don't think so... they only had two worms."

He used to be part of the Gaither's Vocal Band and is probably best known for his song, "Mary Did You Know?"

It was a treat to get to go and I got to see a lot of people I hadn't seen in a long time. That was an added bonus!

Each day I put food in the bird feeders. The cat thinks that is a definite plus! She likes to climb up and try to ambush the birds. You can see the one feeder but there is another one out of view on the limb she is standing on. I tell her not to do that but she doesn't listen. As far as I know she hasn't caught any yet. They fly up to the top of the tree and fuss!

21 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOVE your Cat! I guess it is just the nature of the animal, that Hunting instinct! Cats and anything smaller than that, that isn't a cat, but moves! (lol)

I am not familar with the gentleman you went to see, but that was a cute joke, Rachel...

I always love to come and visit you, my dear.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Great shot of the cat!

I hope there's no more snow. It's time for spring.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

I'm glad you had an enjoyable time. That's a funny joke.

I love watching birds (and drawing them.) Our kids even gave "pet" names to the birds that regularly came onto our deck or patio. We loved having birdfeeders and the peach and joy from caring for the birds and watching them play. Unfortunatley, but the darn coons ate much much than the squirrels. The racoons ate all the birdfeed (or bread) we put out everyday. They figured out the squirrel proof feeder, as well as all the tricks that are supposed to keep them away. So, we feed them on the fly at the time. :) I sure miss when we'd hope to see a certain kind of bird. I'm glad you don't have a racoon problem. (We live in the woods and I used to think they were so cute.) Your cat is precious!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Mark Lowry is so funny! We have a couple of his CD's. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing him.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Great post Rachel. You should have tuned into the halftime show. They had a 70 year old Mick Jagger showing off his bird legs, bare midriff, and skinny arms. They had trouble with the sound. I wasn't expecting much and was disappointed.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

I think Mick Jagger is around 63, not 70. I would hope by that age he would call it quits.
Anyway, my cats haven't bothered the birds at the feeder...yet.

9:15 PM  
Blogger EV said...

Two worms! Geez.

12:33 AM  
Blogger David said...

Good joke. And yes that is a good shot of the cat. We put our bird feeder well away from where the cat can get to it.

Wish I could see snow again.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

I guess the cat ate your canary.
Your story reminds me when Mrs. Jim invited a retired preacher (a member of the class I was teaching) to visit her class.
At question time one of the second graders asked Rev. Taylor if he had ever been stoned.
Guess that is one of the hazards of the trade.
..

7:14 AM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

that was a cute joke!

Your cat is an optimist :-)

10:09 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

LOL. Good joke.
Your cat is very sneaky but it needs a disguise, ha,ha..

4:50 AM  
Blogger Rurality said...

We were supposed to get snow yesterday but ended up with a bunch of rain instead. :(

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel,
I need a cat like that. He looks like he would be a good mouser.

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel, that photo of the cat above the feeder is HILARIOUS. The look on her face is like, "What? Am I doing something I shouldn't?"
LOL!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
Great joke and photo. Glad you got to go.
Ralph

6:07 PM  
Blogger 4evergapeach said...

Was the snow really deeper or you were just shorter so it seemed that way? LOL

Evening with Mark Lowry sounds like fun. I would enjoy going with my kids to see something like that. Teens have so little 'good' entertainment availeable to them these days.

Well, I'm glad the birds have an alternate feeder they can use. Guard kitty doesn't look like he's going anywhere soon. :)

7:12 PM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

I love to watch the birds at my feeders, and so do the cats! I've never caught them up the tree, though....

1:58 PM  
Blogger Seeker said...

There's something fun about getting snowed in... if you don't have anywhere to go, that is. Then, there's the camaraderie of the whole neighborhood out there, helping each other shovel and clear the paths...

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel. Mark Lowry is pretty good--I've heard a couple of his songs. I remember when we used to get more snow and COLD weather, but I honestly don't miss it. I would rather have mild temps and rain. I keep hearing that we are in for a cold blast, but God is good and is holding it at bay. I hope it never gets here. Have a great weekend!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Thanks for stopping by! I've enjoyed reading your blog...especially the pictures of Kentucky!! Thank you for the well wishes for my family and myself! Hugs! :)

1:30 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Oh, I like that song...someone sang it in church around Christmas time.

I like your picture, too.

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter