Saturday, January 28, 2006

Kentucky Horses and Barns









Calumet Farm owned and bred two triple-crown winners, Whirlaway and Citation. Pictured here during a workout is Citation. It also owned and bred eight Kentucky Derby winners, bred an additional Kentucky Derby winner, and owned and bred seven Preakness Stakes winners. Eleven of Calumet Farm’s horses were admitted into the National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame, and eight of its horses won Horse of the Year titles. There is also a cemetery on the grounds of Calumet Farm, complete with headstones and statues where many of these equine champions are buried.

Citation became the 8th Triple Crown winner in 1948 and it would be 25 years until Secretariat became the 9th. He was the first equine millionaire in 1951 with 45 starts, 32 wins, 10 seconds, 2 thirds, and $1,085,760 in earnings. He did real good for a horse back that many years ago!!

If you land at the airport in Lexington and on your drive to Lexington you will see Calumet Farms on the left. This is one of their beautiful red/green/and white barns, and also their trophy room.
















The rest of the pictures below are just various barns from around KY. Some are fancy and as you can see the inside of the one below is definitely one of the thoroughbred farms! It looks like you could eat off the floor!! Not like the barns on the farm I grew up on!!




















15 Comments:

Blogger Cheyenne said...

Boy, did you bring up some wonderful memories for me. When I graduated my dream was to move to the South and work on a horse farm. I never made it. I think my parents had something to do with it. Secretariat is my all-time favorite horse. A real beauty.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Whistle Britches said...

kentucky is one of the places I would like to visit. aj and I almost made it over the border to kentucky last year when we visited relatives in morristown tennesee. I'm supposed to have ties in kentucky as our last name used to be spelled bowling. I think they live in the side of a hill to this day. somebody took out the "w" in a family fight or something so the story goes.....

9:46 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Those are nice pictures of the farm. Is it open to the public?
..

10:20 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Rachel -- Thanks for the birthday card for my dad. He has quite a few now and it makes his room look very nice.
Mrs. Jim and I liked your card. Dad always had a dog so we think this was a good one for him.
..

11:28 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

Rachel,
great pictures, great looking places. I would love to see the "horse" country someday, but am afraid of them, so it would be an interesting tour, but no riding or touching fo rme!

4:19 AM  
Blogger David said...

Loved the visit with you this Sunday morning. Never had the chance to tour Kentucky. I know I missed something good.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Some of those barns look nicer than my house.
Ralph

4:03 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I love all the pics!
I think those horses are better taken care of than most people.
I can't get over how clean that barn is!

8:38 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Marilyn and I toured much of the horse country of Kentuck a couple of years ago. We especially enjoyed Claiborne Farms near Paris Ky. We saw the gravesites of many great horses including Bold Ruler and Secretariat. I really enjoyed your post. I was just glad we didn't come home with another horse.

10:05 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Great photigraphs Rachel..I love that as you went along each barn got a little less fancy, almost to the next to last one that --poor thing--is so dilapidated!

Calumet's Fistory is pretty damn awesome! Lord, to have had sooo very many Champions...Amazing!!

Kentucky looks so very beautiful...It would be nice to visit Calumet..and that trophy room is prett fabulous, isn't it?

Thanks for all this wonderful rich information about Calumet and their Champion History.

12:24 AM  
Blogger 4evergapeach said...

I loved the pic's! I so miss the south! I have a friend who lives around the corner with horses who used to live in KY. One of her horses is a Clydesdale. Beautiful creature! None are race horses though.

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool photos!

8:04 AM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Great photos Rachel! Thank you for sharing these beautiful barns with us!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

Beautiful! I used to follow horse racing pretty closely, not so much anymore. But I still love the beauty of the farms and horses!

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say as the rest: beautiful photos!

And the one on the top, with the jockey in the suit, it's an interesting detail you only get from old photos.

4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter