Thursday, March 22, 2007

Busy as a Bee!!

Yesterday was super busy for me. Rare I have those days. Remember Miss White Lilly? That's her in the picture. Anyway, she just came here and took up, so naturally I feed her and love her. Since she's female I didn't want any more baby kittens running around so I had her spayed. I had called around to try and find the cheapest place to get her spayed at. Around here they insist that the pets must have all their shots, etc., before they will do it. Well, she is an outside cat and since she came here as a stray I just wanted to have her spayed and not all the other stuff. I called around and found a place in an adjoining county (22 miles from us) that does it much cheaper. The only thing they require, which is a state law, is a rabies shot. My neighbor had a tomcat she wanted to take too, so she was going to take them yesterday morning and then I would go and pick them up yesterday afternoon. I got her spayed, a rabie shot, and ears cleaned out for $83. I saved about $100 dollars by having it done there instead of here. I was charged $10 extra because she was pregnant. My neighbor had her tomcat neutered, ears cleaned out, rabies shot, and she got a bottle of ear mite medication and her charge was in the $50's. Her cat had ear mites whereas Miss White Lilly did not, but they checked and cleaned her ears anyway, because I wasn't sure. My neighbor has an appointment to take 2 more over in early April. She liked those cheap prices!
Miss White Lilly is doing fine. She spent the night in our bathroom and used the litter box fine. Today she wanted to go out and I let her and she is doing just fine and eating well. Tonight I probably will bring her back inside. She has 5 little stitches in her belly.

Last night my husband's brother's MIL passed away. She has been really sick and we have been expecting this. I went out today and bought 2 pies, ice cream, cool whip, boxes of cookies (for the kids), and then I got one of those big chicken dinners from KFC with mashed potatoes, biscuits, gravy, potato salad, cole slaw, and macaroni and cheese, and took that over. Another neighbor had brought a cold plate with sandwich stuff and bread. I figured the church people wouldn't start bringing stuff until tomorrow and I didn't want her to have to worry about cooking anything tonight. Poor lady has taken care of her mother at home for about 5 months now and is worn out already. Now the funeral will not be until Monday. That's because she will be buried in a military cemetery and they won't do it on the weekend.
The lake is getting even lower below us. They have finally moved everything from below us. Yesterday evening I watched them while they moved some of the docks and about 3 of them were touching ground. They had to really work to get them unstuck and moving and it took awhile. They use a small motorboat to push them along with and they had it wide open and still the dock wasn't budging. So they would pull it backwards and try some more. Finally, one by one, they got them moved. I don't know what they are going to do about electricity and water to those houseboats. I guess they have generators for electric but they are used to this easy life of having it all supplied for them.

18 Comments:

Blogger TJ said...

My son paid $75 for Clarence to be neutered, that included his shots! Clarence did great!
You are a great friend to help out with the food that way...I feel sorry for that worn out lady...too many people get stuck with all the work and wear themselves out! Bless her heart!!!

5:04 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Rachel,
I had a cat that was pregnant when I got her fixed. And the only other cat she'd been around was her brother. I don't know why I was so mortified.

KFC, pies and cookies are the perfect comfort food.

I hope that are getting to take care of yourself--you sure do a lot for other people.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Miss White Lilly looks beautiful and happy.
Your chicken dinner sounds yummy. It's after 9PM and I haven't had supper yet. Guess I better see to it before I eat the whole refrigerator!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Rachel. You have a nice mother instinct, taking in that stray and getting her life in order again. Thank you.
I'm sorry about MIL. But like my dad, it really is better for all. God will care of things for all his children.
..

10:46 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
Sorry to here about your husband's brother's MIL. That was a nice thing you did with the KFC and pies and ice cream.
Ralph

7:06 AM  
Blogger david santos said...

Hello!
very weel done Rachel. thank you
have a good weekend

8:27 AM  
Blogger Miki said...

Rachel, sorry to hear of the loss in your Brother in law's family. You are a great sister in law to do all that you did for them. I get it that your sister in law is exhausted, glad that you were there to help out. She will appreciate that touch of kindness too! Also glad that you did the cat, and pleased that you got a great price!

12:21 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh My Dear Rachel..Kiss White Lily isw just BEAUTIFUL! And so sweet looking, too..It's in her eyes--this genleness...(I think Sweetie would be "In Love"!)
You have such a big generous heart Rachel...It is very moving.
So very sorry about your loss...And there you are----so very very generous with your care.
I find that very moving, my dear.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is so funny... I just used the same title for my post.
(giggle)

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we have a couple of stays that hang out here. I believe the female is already fixed.... the male not sure. All I know is some cat keeps spraying on my door.!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

That was really nice of you, these poor cats when they are not spayed they have kittens all 5 min. What I can't understand that there is no medical service for stray cats where spaying doesn't cost anything. I mean it's in the interest of the whole community not to have too many cats around. Here in Belgium the price is also around 100 $ sometimes less, it depends where you live. I had to pay 110 € for Kim to get her shaved because she was full of knots (and we brush her) so with shaving, teeth cleaning and shots it came up to this amount. Fortunately it doesn't happen very often !
If you like I have some funny pictures of them on my cat blog !

4:40 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

You are my type of person...taking in a stray animal and making sure it's taken care of:-) She's a beautiful cat and I'm sure will repay you tenfold with her love and affection!!

When someone loses a loved one, I always like to bring them food too...as you said, the last thing the family wants to do is worry about cooking.

Have a wonderful weekend my friend!! xoxo

6:16 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Miss White Lilly is a beauty! Glad she came through the surgery with no problems. Always sad to lose a family member. Taking them some comfort food is such a caring thing to do...
:)

9:38 AM  
Blogger Tracey said...

Sorry to hear about your BIL's MIL; sounds like you're taking good care of the SIL (sheesh, internet shorthand!)

Miss Lilly White sounds like she's found herself a good home with you. My parents came home from vacation one year to find a cat on their door step. They knew he belonged to the neighbors, but the cat didn't want to go back, so everyone agreed he was now my folks' cat. A year after he died, another cat showed up. Guess cat's know a good thing, eh?

3:24 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

Your flowers in the previous post are gorgeous. I really like that first one. The color and shape are fantastic. The tele sounds awful I am very glad I don't watch it when I read stuff like that.
Miss White Lilly is beautiful. It is nice of you to take her in. I hope she makes a speedy recovery. They have a place here that does free shots, spay and neuter for animals like Miss Lilly. Some vets got together and do a free clinic thing once every few months. We have the same roaming wild domestic pet thing going on here and they do it to cut down on the outside pet population. It would be really bad if a disease swept in because it would wipe them all out. I think it is wonderful that they do that.
I am sorry for the loss of your husbands brothers MIL. That was nice of you to put that food together I am sure it was appreciated.
I hope my isp server thing will keep working.
Huggles and Love,
Raggedy

5:00 PM  
Blogger EV said...

Oh, Rachel, I'm sorry about your loss. That lake business is sad isn't it .... and frustrating. Have a good weekend!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Sorry to hear of the death in the family. I'm sure your kindness was very much appreciated.

The kitty cat is a pretty one. I'm glad you got her all taken care of.
She probably doesn't like chocolate truffles.
Save those for YOURSELF!!!! :)

10:10 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Miss White Lily is a beautiful cat and I'd like to know where you went to get her taken care of cheaply. My DIL has a cat & dog she needs to fix, but can't afford all those shots.
I hope the vet is in this direction.

Sorry to hear about your husband's brother's MIL...You are such a dear caring person to think of other's needs. Bless you Rachel.
xoxoxo

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter