Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Soup Recipe

Some had asked for the soup recipe I pictured in the previous post. I got the recipe from the Relish Magazine that is in the Sunday paper. Here it is.

Angel Harvest Vegetable and Potato Soup Recipe

Perfect for cold, dreary nights or as a nourishing antidote to rich holiday foods.

Ingredients:
4 cups cubed potatoes (do not peel)
1½ cups coarsely chopped carrots
1 cup coarsely chopped celery
½ cup string beans
1 green, red or yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 cup sweet peas
1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 (10-ounce) bag spinach
6 cups water
¼ cup butter
1½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1½ teaspoons dried sage
1 tablespoon dried basil
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley

Instructions
1. Place vegetables in a Dutch oven. Add water; bring to a boil. Add butter, salt, pepper and herbs. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Serves 10.

Recipe by Helen verDuin Palit, Relish Helping Hands, "Touched by an Angel," December 2007. Nutritional Information
Per (1 1⁄2-cup serving): 130 calories, 5g fat, 4g prot., 19g carbs., 4g fiber, 105mg sodium.

17 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

I am going to try this soup this weekend. Thanks!

6:39 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

This sounds real good.

I have saved it to try!Thanks,


Junie

7:06 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Well it's suppose to snow again this weekend. That will be a great time to try this soup. Thanks.
Ralph

9:01 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh My Lordy, that sounds good and very healthy, too! I may just have to try this one Rachel!

9:49 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Do you deliver?

10:35 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

It beats my can of Campbell's Vegetable Soup and probably much healthier too.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Karen H. said...

Good Afternoon Rachel,
"THANK YOU" for posting the recipe for your soup. I'm going to give it a try. I won't have time this weekend, but hopefully I can next week. It sure did look good in the picture you posted the other day. I bet it would be good also if you had a cold. Take care my friend and have a great afternoon. May God Bless You and Yours.

Hugs,
Karen H.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your soup sounds good Rachel! Thanks!
If I made it there would also be a few pieces of chicken or left-over roast.
When I batched (Mrs. Jim remedied that) I would saute sliced hot dogs in butter along with chopped onions and a few peppers and celery. Those would go good in with your soup.

We don't have a Dutch oven. I know the inventor of the soup was Dutch (Helen verDuin Palit) but perhaps the oven could be an Amana (American).
..

2:44 PM  
Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

What time is dinner?

8:36 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

There is snow on the ground this morning. It is a perfect day for your soup. If all the ingredients are not available, regular potato soup will have to do. Thank you for the inspiration.

4:51 AM  
Blogger savvycityfarmer said...

I should hunker down and just do this...
I guess I'd rather eat the egg rolls and junk food from Costco on Sunday for the playoffs.

I can almost smell the aroma.


take a peek at my new "grandpuppy"

5:12 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Too many carbs for my diet, maybe if I took out the potatoes......I think I will make some good ole' Chicken soup tomorrow......

9:55 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Recipes? You follow recipes?
I'm with Nora. I'll take a quart of that to go.

4:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish the people I cook for in this house would eat soup. I think soup is go great. I think I'll take the recipe anyways.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ohhh thank you so very much for sharing this recipe. I can't wait to put the oot on. We are big soup eaters in the winter months.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

There's a restaurant here that has the BEST creamy tomato soup I've ever tasted. I could swim in that soup!!
We've had some cold weather lately, and I've been in a soup mood for the past few days. It just tastes so good and warms you up from the inside out.
Happy Weekend, Rachel!!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

It's rainy and cold here. I've saved this recipe for us to try! Looks really yummy.
xo

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter