Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Visitor From England

I had a great visit with my friend Cathy from England. She got to stay 2 extra nights due to that snowstorm that many folks had. Her flight was cancelled on Sunday the 9th and rescheduled for Tuesday the 11th. I've just had an e-mail letting me know she made it home safely. She flew from Lexington, KY to Newark, and then from there to Manchester, England. She said the flight was delayed at Newark and they ran into wind sheer when trying to land in Manchester. The pilot had to go back up above the clouds and then managed to land safely. She said some people were crying and some were actually sick. She said she put her hands over her ears and closed her eyes tight!

We hit it off perfectly. Cathy was easy to get along with and we had many good laughs. Everyone that met her loved her. We did many things but we were limited to what we could do due to my having to take care of my husband. He did very well and did not complain when we left him alone for longer than normal periods. As with everyone else he loved Cathy too!!


Everywhere we went no one could believe that she has a son that is almost 17 years old and that she is in her 40's! She certainly doesn't look it. Everyone guessed she was 18 or in her early 20's.







We did quite a bit of eating out. I have to say that I did not do much cooking. She got to eat gravy and biscuits for the first time ever! She liked them. In the picture of me you can see the biscuits and the bowl of gravy. That was at a Bob Evan's Restaurant.






We went to the spa for facials and manicures. Neither one of us had ever had one of those and it could become habit forming! The facial included the back as well. They had several different facials to choose from and that one included the back. I sure did enjoy that. They rubbed these different creams on you and then put really hot towels on. It all felt great. After the back was done then we flipped over for the facial. If you have never had one then I highly recommend it. Even for you men!! You would love it!! Below is Cathy standing in front of the Woodhouse Spa. After the facials we got the manicures. Our nails never looked nicer! It was certainly a treat for both of us!






















Here we were in our robes waiting in the 'quiet room' while sipping raspberry tea. They also gave us these neat sandals to wear and they felt great!






















We went to my nephew's house for supper on Friday. His wife had cooked all southern food. She had chicken and dumplings, cheese grits, collard greens, pinto beans, cornbread, pickled okra, fried green tomatoes, and fried potatoes. I think I mentioned everything. Then for dessert she had Derby pie, pecan pie, and cherry cobbler ala mode. We were well stuffed when we left there. They really loved Cathy and my great niece was thrilled to have her visit!! Cathy gave her some money from England and answered all her many questions about different things over there.


As we were leaving my nephew's house they were saying that the rain would change to snow. He walked outside before we left to see what the weather was doing. His deck was frozen solid with ice. He helped Cathy off the porch and I sort of slid behind them hanging onto their coattails. Cathy got tickled and we laughed so hard that I almost peed my pants.


The weather when she was here included a bit of everything. We had some sun, a pretty hefty thunderstorm that mostly was wind and rain, and then about 3 inches of snow on top of some ice. The snow didn't last very long since it warmed up fairly soon.


She was due to fly home on Sunday and I drove her to the airport only to be told that the flight was cancelled. So she got to come back home with me for another 2 nights! On Monday it was pretty nice but mostly cloudy. I took her to Cumberland Falls and we stopped at a couple of gift shops and some craft stores on the way home. The Falls was really roaring since the river was up from all the rain and the snowmelt.

It was really a nice, nice, nice visit!! I think she enjoyed her visit and she might come back again sometime. I certainly hope so!!






20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is just wonderful that you had such a great time. I've never been to a spa, had a facial nor a manicure. My husband asked if I'd like to be treated with a day at a spa for a gift and I declined. But maybe I should reconsider as it sounds so wonderful. You guys looks so cute in the pictures!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Just reading your account of Cathy's visit it's plain to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with her.
Isn't it wonderful when you 'click' with someone that way?
You made me hungry for biscuits and gravy. LOL

9:18 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

What a terrific time you both had!!!
I'm sure Cathy LOVED that dinner your nephew's wife fixed. YUMMY to the max!!!!
Being pampered at a spa is pure heaven. I bet you felt very relaxed when you left. Next time, you'll have to get a fully body massage too. You will feel like a wet noodle afterwards.
You both look like you were having fun. You are both cute as can be!
I'm glad she got home safe and sound. That wind sheer episode must have been SCARY!!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

Glad the two of you had such a good time. So when are you going to visit her in England?

9:42 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

You certainly had a very nice time together ! I love it too when a friend comes to visit me and we can do so many things together !

9:48 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Isn't it nice to have friends from someplace else, not near where you live! It sounds like you two had a real good time. I hope you brought your husband a doggy bag home. Mrs. Jim does that sometimes for me.
[And yes, I've had manicures when they were free at the college, they are wonderful.]
Our Rice Owl basketball team played in Memphis this afternoon, they lost. Their plane from Houston was grounded so they had to take the bus.
Now you settle down and eat light to get ready for your next visitors.
..

9:55 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

Wow! You girls sure did a lot in a short time! Sounds like you had a ball! Don't you just love meeting blog friends and neighbors!

9:55 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh How WONDERFUL Rachel. I thought about you and your visitor and I just knew you would have a GREAT Time! And how WONDERFUL that you both got an Extra Two Days because of the weather....!
The Spa Day sounded quite special. Nothing like pampering yourself.....I have always though it was inportant, whatever that night mean to each individual....For me it would be A Massage!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
It sounds like the two of you had quite the time. The extra two nights wa just an added bonus.
I'll pass on the facial.
Ralph

5:53 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

It sounds like the two of you had a wonderful time together. Sunshine, rain, sleet, snow and wind? Wow......I'm glad she made it back safe and that you were able to have so much fun......

9:43 PM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Sounds you both had such a wonderful time! It's so nice to have friends, isn't? Love all photos!

Did you know "Sky Watch Friday"? If you have the time, come to see my son's photos on my current post. You must to join the group, too!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

You did a great job of telling of this visit. You two had a blast. I can see it in your faces. Good on you.

6:14 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Hey Rachel...I'm still up, and you have probably just gotten up...(I'm off to bed right after thisthough...)

That house has a FANTASTIC view. It is High up and I think it has an unobstructed view of at least part of the city and ALL of the West side including The Pacific Ocean.....I am anxious to see the house on the inside when they get to that point...! Stay Tned....lol!

2:25 AM  
Blogger Scarlet said...

It's great when you laugh so hard you nearly pee your pants, isn't it?? :)

Sounds like you had A GREAT TIME with your friend. The spa exprience sounds fantastic. I've had nothing more than a 15-min. facial once, but I see now, I've been missing out! I must go for the nails, too!

Have a wonderful weekend, Rachel, and thanks for the scoop (and the pics!).

4:32 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

The "pee your pants" line told the whole story. That is truly a symptom of a great time. I'm just glad she wasn't a serial killer. My imagination tends to be a bit overactive. Thank you for the detailed story of Cathy's visit. Will she be writing her version of the visit on her blog and do we know her blog link? Glad you're back Rachel.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

It sounds like you gals had a great time together. Did you introduce her to blogging?

7:34 AM  
Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hello Rachel! I am glad that you and your friend had a good time and that she was able to spending a couple more days with you. I am also glad that you treated yourself to the spa. You deserve it. The dinners looked yummy. Have a good day. Lisa

8:29 AM  
Blogger Kendra Lynn said...

Sounds like a perfectly lovely time. I wish I had time for a facial and manicure!

Glad you had such a good time.

Kendra

8:10 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

How fun to meet a fellow blogger from so far away!!
Sounds like such a fun time (for both of you!)
I've never been to a spa, but it sure sounds relaxing and indulgent.
Glad everything went so well for you!!
xo

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Rachel,
How fun! This post sets me smiling for you (and Cathy), but especially for you to enjoy girlfriend time! I'm glad you treated yourself to the spa visit and that Cathy could stay 2 extra days, too. Good friends make the world go around!

Hugs to you,
Gel

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter