Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I'VE SEEN ICE AND I'VE SEEN RAIN

I'm sure most of you have heard about the ice storm moving across many states and causing havoc. We lucked out here so far. We live in the southern part of KY and the bad stuff went just north of us. Last night we got sleet but not too much. I did see a few limbs that had broken off around town today, but nothing major. I'm sure last night the roads here were terrible for anyone out there on them. It warmed up today and changed to rain and it's been raining all day long. Our phone and internet was out today and then came back on late this afternoon. They are saying we will get rain and then it'll change to snow tomorrow and we might get 2 inches.

I'm thankful that it wasn't worse here but I feel bad for those that got hit hard and that covers a big territory. Those ice storms are awful with the trees breaking and falling and you can't walk or drive on ice. Just a total mess. Then the electricity being off for days sometimes. We do have a fireplace with an insert but the blowers wouldn't work with no electricity so I guess it'd heat some in the living room, but I really don't know how it'd do. I did bring some wood and kindling up just in case!

Tonight I made cupcakes for AWANA tomorrow night at church. If we get the snow then they might call AWANA off. I'll try to get my cupcakes delivered to the church early tomorrow before any snow falls, but I'll have to wait and see.

Hope everyone is having a good week and keeping safe and warm. I'm thinking about all my blogger friends that are getting hit hard with this ice storm and hoping you are all okay.

17 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Rachel, bake those cookies while you still have electricity. Then if the roads are bad you can just eat them all, or all you might ever want.

We are like you, our ice storms and snow will be north of here. The really cold weather too. Dallas should be nasty in the night and morning.
..

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Up here in Erie, PA we are getting snow from the same storm system. I hate the snow but we are used to it. We've been in the deep freeze for a really long time this winter. I hope everyone is safe out on the roads. I'm with Jim on baking your cookies ahead.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Scarlet said...

Lucky you not to get the worst of these storms. When I read the title to your post I thought, now there's a James Taylor song I never heard of! ;)

Stay warm in your toasty kitchen (where it's safe) baking cookies.

You probably don't want to know this but it's sunny and 70 degrees here in Miami this morning. :)

5:05 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

We've got it Rachel but not as bad as we expected. The ice came first by the ton, now snow has covered the ice yielding a false sense of security because we can't see the black ice. However it is warming now and the trees have not broken (knock on wood) like they did the past two years. My poor children who have to get out and go to work are experiencing the worst driving conditions ever. I worry until I know they are in their places safely. Glad to know you are okay. Often you and I have the same weather.

5:15 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Hi Rachel,
Glad to hear you were spared the worst of this storm. It sounds really bad for some.
Stay warm!
xo

8:09 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

The ice went south of us, thank the good Lord.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

That storm is going to bring colder weather and keep the temperatures down for Super Bowl Sunday. The weather should be perfect for the game.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI.
We got a few inches today.
I saw a great church sign...

To cold to change sign
Message is in side

Do you Facebook??

7:02 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

We missed all the fun. They got up to a foot of snow in Southern Ontario We got a dusting of snow with warmer temperatures of -10C.

The ice storms are the worst. People should just stay home.

8:16 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

THese extremes in weather are really disconcerting and troublesome, aren't they? Reading tobight that a MILLION People had no electricity...It is scary!
You take good care Rachel, and stay warm, if you can, my dear.

4:37 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

We got the snow, but not the ice - thank goodness.
I hope you got to eat some cupcakes - the best kind of cake!

8:03 AM  
Blogger eyes_only4him said...

I would rather get 20 feet of snow than ice!...

we have been lucky so far this year other than tempts hovering at 30 below, we have not had much snow or ice..and what we have had is still here cause it has not got above freezing in months.

Glad it missed u, because that would have been no fun at all.

8:40 AM  
Blogger 4evergapeach said...

So good to hear that you misssed the worst of it. I am on the other side of it and we got snow. I hate driving in this stuff! Scares me to death. It's pretty if I could stay inside with a fire going, but I have to work to pay the high heating bill. It's a no win situation. Take care and be safe!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Arkansas and Kentucky really got hit hard with the ice storm. I'm glad Keith and I were in CA and not in AR!!
I'm glad to hear you are okay and didn't get hit too hard.
Take care.
I'm craving a cupcake.
:-)

6:43 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Glad you got thru the worst of it. We got the usual warnings, everyone ran to the store, cleaned the shelves, and then... rain. This morning the frost is so heavy it really does look like snow - but the sun is up so it will soon burn off. Now they are warning us about the next big snow.
Actually, it did snow just a few miles from my place, but not much, and it was gone the next day.

5:08 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

The ice was way south of here.
Bake the cookies but you shouldn't be out and about in weahter like you're having so box them up and I think you still have my address. Put "Personal: for Cliff's eye's only" on the package because Marilyn won't let me have them if she finds out.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Marla said...

I am glad that we didn't get ice, we did get some snow though.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter