Friday, January 09, 2009

TIS TAT and TOTHER

No real blogging news from here, thus my title which means this, that, and other. At least to me it did!


We have had rain with more on the way....100% chance tomorrow. Now that's a darn good chance that it definitely will rain. Then it'll turn colder of course. It's nice being outside in the winter with short sleeves on. The other night I was outside on the porch at 1:30 in the morning. It was pretty cold and I just had on my pajamas (short sleeved) and barefoot. I was thinking at the time that if my mother were alive she'd say, "You'll catch your death out there barefoot!"

You might wonder what I'm doing on the porch at such a time of the night but I normally sit up late and if I hear a noise outside I'll go look out the front door. Usually it's the cats or raccoons. This time it was raccoons. I got some bread for them and naturally while I was out there I had to pick up the kittens and hold them for a few minutes.


I was trying to spell a word a couple of days ago and it just wouldn't come to me and that reminded me of when I was working at my last job. I worked in a doctor's office and I did all the transcription, which does get boring. I really got sick of sitting there typing all day with earphones in my ears typing about people's sickness and problems. Most things were pretty repetitious but sometimes he'd come off with a word that I could not make out. Then I'd have the office manager listen to see if she knew what he was saying. One day neither one of us could figure it out. I let him have a listen and he couldn't figure out what he was saying either!! So much for that. But...getting back to my point....there were lots of those big words you had to type like epididymitis, epididymo-orchitis, orchiectomy, nephrectomy, cystoscopy, etc. (I worked for a Urologist). Those were not usually the words I had trouble with, but he would come up with words that I had never heard of before. The computer also had a great spelling help and it would pop some words it thought you were trying to type into a little box and you could just click it and it popped right in there! Ain't technology amazing!! When it came to spelling a word, if you asked me, I might have trouble spelling it. However, let my fingers get on the keyboard and it would just come to me. It's like my fingers know how to spell but my brain doesn't. I know that might not make any sense to anyone, but it certainly seemed that way. I know my brain is telling my fingers where to type but it seems like my fingers are doing all the thinking and the work! It still seems that way as I'm typing this. The fingers just know where to go without me really thinking about it!! Now have I thoroughly confused everyone, or maybe you know exactly what I mean!


My sister in law sent me an e-mail saying that her niece's eye had fallen out at school and the teacher stepped on it and cracked it. The little girl has a wooden eye and it does occasionally pop out. The teacher immediately called the mother who rushed over with a spare eye and put it in. Apparently the eye socket is not supposed to be left empty for no longer than absolutely necessary. The eye was only chipped a little and can be easily repaired. I'll bet that teacher felt awful, even though it was no fault of hers. I'd say she will be glad when the school year is over and that child moves on to the next grade!


The Goody's in our town is closing. I like that store. Hate to see it closing. The economy is taking a toll all over it seems. I saw where some Macy's were also closing, but we do not have one of those here. I do hope it gets better before it gets worse. Money that is invested makes you ill when you get the statements and you see how those figures have dropped faster than rain falling..or so it seems. Just down right depressing it is.

Gas has crept back up to $1.89. The cheapest I got it this past year was $1.34, which was with the 10 cent Kroger discount. I liked the cheaper gas better!

It's late and my bed is calling my name. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!

20 Comments:

Blogger Cheyenne said...

Gas around here is $1.59-$1.63 average, although it is higher at some places.

We are expecting a somewhat major snowstorm to hit us all day Saturday. Supposed to get 3-6" but if it's anything like the last storms we won't get much. They tend to veer out of our path at the last minute.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Goody's in our closest big town is closing too. As I understand it, the entire chain of stores is going under.

Things are looking dire as far as our economy, that's for sure. Poor Jason is earnestly trying to find a job doing anything to bring in some money, even flipping burgers, and there's just nothing out there.

I used to be a really good speller but I have to work at it now. I'm still pretty good at it, but as you say, I think it's more my fingers knowing what to type than me actually remembering how to spell most things. It's a good thing my fingers remember 'cause I can't remember squat these days!

It's supposed to start raining here any time and rain all night then cool off. Starting Monday we're supposed to get a shot of Arctic air and have several days later in the week where we don't even get out of the 20's for highs and down in the single digits for lows.

As I told my hubby, it IS January and it's supposed to be cold, not the nearly 60F we had here today.

Have a great weekend, Rachel. :o)

Much love,

Diane

10:55 PM  
Blogger Farmgirl Cyn said...

Rachel...Yoour post made me laugh out loud! I am a really good speller (I think it comes from being a voracious reader since childhood), but there are some words I just can't spell unless I try to write it down. When I see it on paper, I know whether or not it is right. Maybe it's like that for you and the keyboard?
Sorry, but the story of the little girl's eye popping out made me laugh. That poor teacher!
As for your mama saying you'd catch a cold...isn't that what all mama's raisin' kids in the 50's and 60's would say??? Now I tell my kids you can only catch a cold from a germ...but...you CAN lower your resistance to germs by being foolish in bad weather.
Hope you have a blessed weekend!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Marla said...

We had some snow yesterday. Now I have to go out and scoop! We don't have Goody's or Macy's here, but I did hear that on the news. I can remember when I was a nurse, we would always be trying to read the orders that they scribbled in the charts. Now that is a huge challenge and sometimes we had to call their offices for an answer. Wouldn't want to give a medication to someone that he didn't order.!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

I got stuck on a word the other day and it drove me nuts. It was a simple word like "here" or "that" and I could not for the life of me figure it out. Finally had to ask someone - she just laughed and said it happens to her all the time.
1:30 on the porch in PJ? Not here.
Ralph

8:47 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

When you said her eye fell out....I was so shocked! LOL! I know it is NOT funny, but I was relieved to read that it is a wooden eye....! I had no idea that they made 'false' eyes out of Wood!

I think I might have echo'ed your Mama with you out there is short sleeves and no shoes...LOL!

Sometimes I feel like my fingers do the thinking, too..Though not lately...Both my fingers and my brain seem to be a touch slower than usual when it comes to spelling. But truthfully I was NEVER a good speller, so, why would I be now?

100% chance of rain....Yes, indeed...I would say that one could count on it happening....!
WE need rain here so badly....!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend Rachel....It is quiet here and that is fine by me.
Hug those little kittens for me when you get a chance, my dear!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Hi Rachel! It was supposed to be nasty here today, but they were wrong. Again. It was cloudy most of the morning and then the sun came out. Was a beautiful sight to see. It is starting to cloud back up though.

Those kittens must be getting big. I am sure that they love having your company as much as you enjoy theirs.

Gas prices are on the rise here too. They started going up New Years day. Didn't surprise me though. The paper said that it will probably be up to $2.00 by spring. Well the way they keep raising the price, it will be $3.00 by spring.

Well enjoy your weekend Rachel. Lisa

11:50 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Guess what? I actually understood what you meant about your brain and your fingers! lol It's the same with me, sometimes I'm trying to think of how to spell a word but if I'm typing, it comes naturally.

Oh dear, I can well imagine how that teacher felt when she stepped on the little girl's eye! I remember when I worked at the local bowling center, the owner had a glass eye and sometimes he would leave it on the counter and say, I'm watching the place while I go make lunch! Ugh! lol

We're finally getting some sun today but it's quite frigid, it was -9F when I got up this morning! Still tons of snow on the ground as well.

Everyone seems to be getting affected by the economy...it's sad that it's come to this, so many well known store chains having to close down. Makes you wonder where it will all end. Gas here just went up to $3.28 a gallon. It was $2.76 last week! xoxo

1:09 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

Have a fantastic weekend! I had to laugh at the eye popping out. I bet that teacher is still thinking about that. LOL

2:59 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

It has rained here all day and like you said supposed to get much colder this week and snow. I am so ready for spring and pretty weather. I am just not a winter person. I think all the Goody's stores are closing. I liked Goody's, too. I know what you mean about your fingers knowing what to do. I have worn parts of the letters off my computer keyboard. My "E" looks like an "L". Drives people crazy that try to use it.

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I walk pass my kitties I can't help but give them a rubbing whether they like it or not (they like it.) I marvel that I can dial my husbands work number without thinking but if someone asks for it, I don't remember it, I have to dial it. Technology is great but I would hate to think my typing skills that I have honed over the past 40 years (my dad was a typing teacher)can be useless when the voice recognition gets more reliable. It's getting pretty good already.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Please don't include the word 'orchiectomy' in a post again.
I'm okay now.
I thought the eye deal was the beginning of a joke. Sorry about that. It's no laughing matter.
Glad the PJ weather is good. You can sit on our porch in your pajama's if they're well insulated.
You'll find your name in my last post. Don't worry, it's a good thing.

5:03 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Rachel, gas here got down to $ 1.17 for a couple of days, but that didn't last long....It hovered around $ 1.35 per gallon and right now it is back up to $ 1.56 a gallon.

I would have been horrified if I had stepped on that child's wooden eye. I am so glad that her mother had a spare eye.

The weather here as been in the 70's most of the time...A front pushed through yesterday and it got down to 39 degrees last night...Right now, TF is sleeping on the couch with a nice fire in the fireplace....We have gas logs.

Be careful about going outside in your bare feet, you might step on something.....and.....catch you death of cold....lol.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

Hi Rachel...long time ..no see! Our Goody's is closing too. I hardly ever shopped there but I hate to see them leave. I suspect that before long, Walmart will be the ONLY place to shop.
And I am a bad speller. Always when I don't know how to spell a word, I try to look it up in the dic (UHOh, I don't know how to spell it.) you know what I mean! How do you look up a word if you don't know how to spell it?

5:18 PM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

I think it's only a matter of time before gas heads back to its formerly lofty levels - and stays there. And I think the "new normal" is a sad procession of store and business closings. It saddens my heart to see this happen...each one is the center of so many people's lives.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You've got some mighty smart fingers!

That eye popping out story reminded me of when I was about eighteen years old and working at Montgomery Ward in the lingerie dept. I got this lady settled into her dressing room with some bras to try on, and then I headed into the stall next to hers to gather some items left in there. I saw this thing fall onto the floor right between our two stalls, and I realized it was a fake boob. I nearly collapsed. I didn't know if I should pick it up or not, so I didn't and I let her get it herself which was probably the right thing to do.
;-)

Even the local raccoons love Rachel!!!
Come to Rachel's and get fed REAL good.

I'm in southern CA and it has been in the mid 80s for the past few days. Very very nice. I know the cool weather will come back, but I've really enjoyed this warm spell.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay first let me tell you that if I was sitting on the front porch here in Michigan in January I would have frozen... tonight is going to be below zero F.

Heard about the curcuit city?? they are closing and 30,000 people are loosing their jobs. Both my kids can't find a job it's been 6 months.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

We had a real nice day yesterday (Saturday). I even walked a mile outside. The whole of the week was really brutal, though. Ugh!

4:55 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I smile that you begin with a caution that you do not have much interesting to blog about and then go on to write some interesting and charming things.

I had an aunt with a glass eye which was always a curiosity to me.
I am surprised to learn they can also be made of wood.

It is always startling when people's body parts start dropping off. I had an aunt that laughed and spit out her false teeth into the middle of the room. She just put them back in and no one in the room even mentioned it as the party continued without missing a beat.

10:15 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Oh Rachel - I love you! All of your stories are great. I've turned in to a terrible typer also.
I have a vision (pardon the pun) of the eye bouncing across the playground. I'll bet she's the coolest kid in school!

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter