Saturday, February 21, 2009

Good Saturday Morning!

Good morning! It's very bright and sunny right now and a bit windy. I think that's going to change though, as we are supposed to get rain that may turn to snow tonight, with about an inch of snow expected. We may not get anything. I'll wait and see!

This week has been busy. You might wonder why since it doesn't seem that I have gotten very much accomplished. I am still taking the cake decorating classes. There is an art class that's coming up and I'd love to take that...but I wonder if I should? I also teach our Sunday School class, so there is another obligation (but I do enjoy it very much!!). Taking care of my husband is a full time thing, so I don't want to get too swamped or take on more than I can handle! The art class is in watercolor. I would prefer oils but then anything is a start. No, I can't draw or paint...but I've always thought it would be fun! I'll have to study on that one and then decide whether to do it or not.

When I started teaching Sunday School I was very nervous and I still feel like I am totally inadequate. I am the youngest in my class so it is like the blind teaching the ones who have 20/20 vision. They all know far more about the Bible than I do. However, the best part is that when you teach you have to study harder and I really like that part of it. I get so much more out of the lesson myself by teaching than I do by just being in the class. That is a huge blessing for me!

A friend from church had her parents die this week and they died within hours of each other. They have both been very sick for some time and so it was expected. She died one evening and then he died in the wee hours of the morning. I think that is rare for people to die so close to each other, unless they are in an accident or something. They had their funerals together yesterday.

Last Friday morning Skittles got hit by a car. At least there was lots of hair out by the road and he wouldn't come out of his bed. I pulled him out and he was growling and then limping badly in both back legs. I took him to the vet. Nothing was broken and I'm so happy about that. He had a scrape on his back leg. She gave him a pain shot and gave me some pain medicine to give to him at home for the next couple of days. The best we could figure out is that he was just barely nudged by a car, in which case he must have used one of his nine lives!! The vet also told me that he was a male that had been neutered. (Yes, I know Cliff and Ralph that you all do NOT like that word. Sorry.) Some of you may recall, but Skittles is a stray that wandered in here and I have no idea where he came from. He is a beautiful cat, but to be neutered he was someone's pet at some time. He is getting around fine now but still seems to favor his hips some. I say he is very lucky and hopefully he'll stay away from the road now.

I went to the doctor this week. Just for a routine visit so he could legally continue to prescribe my medication! I hadn't been there in a good while. I do take medication and inhaler for asthma. He looked in my ears and decided my ears needed cleaning out. I wasn't having any hearing problems. The junk she got out of my right ear! EEEWWWWWW!! It was pretty gross. Then she dug in there and pulled out some stuff that looked like wet skin and she said that was what it looked like too...dried wet skin. Okay. This might be more than you all wanted to know!

My cholesterol came back high at 241. I need to start eating more oatmeal and more rabbit food I guess. I need to lay off the sweet stuff. I don't have a sweet tooth. I have sweet teeth! I'm trying to do better. No shrimp for me!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend, a wonderful week, and a wonderful year!

16 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Hi Rachel, I am sorry about your friends and that is very unusual that they went so close together. Glad, too, that Skittles is going to be o.k. My son is an artist and I am not artistic at all but he says you can learn to be an artist. Hope you have a good weekend.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Hi Rachel,
So glad Skittles came through that accident OK.
That was unusual for the husband and wife to pass so close to each other.
Now they'll be together forever.
xo

9:17 AM  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

Sorry about Skittles. I have a missing cat. His name is Houdini. I guess I gave him the right name because he has escaped. He showed up in my yard two days after I ran over my Puddy Cat. My son always said it was Puddy Cat coming back in another life. The first night we had him, I put him in a cage outside and he escaped. That's where his name came from. I miss him!

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do have a full schedule but it is good to take time for some things just for you, like the art class. You'd enjoy it. That's wonderful you teach a Sunday School class. Poor Skittles, but also lucky Skittles that he didn't get hurt badly.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

So glad that your cat is ok! I have high cholestrol also. It was 290 but came back down to 200. I haven't been taking medicine and I haven't been to the doctor in over a year. I need to do that one of these times. It is probably good for you to do things outside of your home so that you get a break from your hubby.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

Rachel,

Dad commented today that 6 weeks was the longest they've ever been apart since they've been married. I hope my parents go like your friend's did. I can't imagine either one being a widow/widower.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Hi Rachel. It was good to see a new post from you. I've been wondering about you. I don't have much room to talk. The last several weeks I've only posted my Sunday Dinner post, so 2 posts in 2 weeks.

I'm glad Skittles is okay. Usually when a cat tangles with a car the cat loses!

My sympathies on the loss of your friends.

I have plenty of other health problems, but thank goodness my cholesterol has always been well below 200 so that's one thing I don't have to worry about or take meds for.

Have a great Sunday, Rachel. :o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

9:15 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

Glad to read that Skittles is going to be ok. He is one lucky cat indeed.
My parents passed on within 2-1/2 months of one another. We barely had time to grieve for one, then the other one went too.
High cholesterol is not good. I have been on a statin for awhile and I watch the fats that I eat (count calories too). It's not the sweets, rather it is the saturated fats you eat.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Your week does sound like it was busy. I'm so glad Skittles is okay. Have Jamie Dawn give him a good talking to! Jamie Dawn is good at nagging.
That couple dying so close together reminds me of that movie The Notebook.
Oatmeal is good, so I hope you'll start eating it regularly to help lower your cholesterol. I want you to be healthy!
Keep on teaching that Sunday School class. It's good for you and good for them. I'm sure they love having you as their teacher, and they enjoy joining in on discussions. You don't have to be a Biblical scholar to teach lessons. Look at Rev. JD! She's missing a few screws, but she still hammers away at Blog Church.
:-)
I'm going to bed now to dream of chocolate truffles.
Nighty night!

10:58 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Why no shrimp? I have always thought shrimp was good for cholesterol?

I hope to go within hours of Ron when the time comes because I don't know how I would exist without him.

Our poor Slim was outside two years ago in the awful ice storm and a tree branch or something heavy crashed on top of her. Thankfully she didn't have anything broken but she limped around for days and it made her very skittish. (Is that a word?)

I believe anyone who has ever taught Sunday School has done so for themselves more than for the class. I enjoyed preparing the lessons and coming across so much inspiring information as I prepared. I'm willing to bet the class loves you as a teacher.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Miki said...

Rachel, my my, you have been busy! Sorry about your friend's loss, I have never heard of two people passing together. Sad, but now they can rest peacefully with each other. Sorry about your kitty. Glad though that he came thu ok. I hope you do well with your SUnday school teachings.... I know you will be fine, you know more than you are giving yourself credit for! You are a strong woman, and you embrace everything given to you in life with open arms! SO proud to call you friend!

7:57 AM  
Blogger possum said...

Glad your Skittles is doing better. Maybe he will stay off the road now. My guys run across the street everyday and I hold my breath. Guess the mice are fatter over there!
I was an art teacher for 38 years. Anyone who can write legibly can learn to draw. Water color is a bit harder! But it can be fun!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

So special of them to die close together and have their funerals together...I think it's wonderful in a way.

Good luck with all your activities and the3 painting too!

So gald skittles is okay

Hope your cholesterol comes down!

Love, Jess

5:30 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Rachel, I am sure the classes you are taking are good for you. With all of your responsibilities, you need some time to yourself and the classes are a way of doing that...

Being the teacher is always a good way to learn, because you do need to study more to give a good lesson. It is a lot of work but good for you.

So sorry to hear about the deaths of your friends. I have heard that when one spouse dies, the other usually goes pretty quick afterward. I sometimes wonder if that is a blessing for the couple. If they had both been ill for a long time, then it is probably a blessing in this case...I know it is hard on the family though.

Skittles is lucky that he had some lives left and that he didn't have any broken bones. Here's hoping he heals quickly and doesn't walk with a limp.

I just realized that you didn't have a church sign this week. I don't think you had time to take a picture of one..... lol. Have a good week Rachel.

3:52 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

You have been busy!
Your ear comment reminded me of some of Jerry's nose stories. I have small ear canals, so the doctor has to do her thing on me too.
I'm glad Skittles is okay, I believe in the nine lives theory for cats.
I'm glad teaching Sunday School is so fulfilling, and I'm sure you're a wonderful teacher. Selfishly (in the hope of getting a cupcake someday) I want you to keep up with the cake decorating. I'm glad that you're getting some nice balance in your life. I know that you're a good caretaker for your husband and I'm glad to know that you have a chance to get out of the house too.

5:35 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Poor Skittles...Reading that he got hit by a car took my breath away...I'm so glad he is okay and not hurt so bad that things were broken...I know you are glad too, Rachel.
Do take that Art Class---I bet you will enjoy it tremendously...!

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter