Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Wind Doth Blow

Yesterday was windy. Very windy. We lost electricity for about 6 hours. I am totally unprepared for such events. No electric. No telephone. No computer. I lit candles but the flashlights worked best for me. We did not have any damage to our property, thankfully. The picture below is from our local paper and this is the roof from a building just a little over a mile from us. There was some other roof damage reported around the county and trees down. I'm just so thankful we didn't get the tornado's like OK got. They were hit hard.





YOU KNOW YOU ARE LIVING IN 2009 when....

1. You accidentally enter your pin on the microwave.

2. You haven't played solitaire with real cards in years.

3. You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of 3.

4. You e-mail the person who works at the desk next to you.

5. Your reason for not staying in touch with friends and family is that they don't have e-mail addresses.

6. You pull up in your own driveway and use your cell phone to see if anyone is home to help you carry in the groceries.

7. Every commercial on television has a web site at the bottom of the screen.

8. Leaving the house without your cell phone, which you didn't have the first 20 or 30 (or 60) years of your life, is now a cause for panic and you turn around to go and get it.

10. You get up in the morning and go on line before getting your coffee.

11. You start tilting your head sideways to smile. : )

12. You're reading this and nodding and laughing.
13. You are too busy to notice there was no #9 on this list.

14. You actually scrolled back up to check that there wasn't a #9 on this list.

AND NOW U R LAUGHING at yourself.

13 Comments:

Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Weren't those winds something? I thought we were going to be blown away. Thankfully you & Phil are fine and that your electricity was only out for a short time. We only had a flicker which was a quick reminder of what could be and thankfully we never lost power.

Loved the joke...we all need a good laugh right now.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are getting terrible winds, too. But the warmer weather the couple days before got rid of almost all of our snow and ice but it is now snowing again. Love the list.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Okay, you got me on #8, 10, 12, 13 and 14.
Glad you had no serious damage.
Ralph

6:05 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Hi Rachel, I saw that picture on the news. I am so glad it was not bad for you. We had very high winds and I was so glad I got that tree with the top broke out taken down or it would have fallen on my house during these winds. I think Kentucky deserves a break. Loved the things about 2009. So true.

6:10 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Glad you had no damage Rachel....It sure is hard when you have no power....! I hope you had HEAT! And I guess it's lucky it was only out 6 hours....But Still....It is no phone at all!

That list is GREAT! And so true, too, isn't it?
And NOW, you cannot get any Customer service from The Phone Company, etc....UNLESS you go on line! What people do who DON'T have computers...I do not know!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

That is some real wind damage...I'm glad that you didn't get any tornado's either....

Loved the list...I went back inside for my cell phone this morning..It was on the charger and I was heading out for the store...Twenty years ago, I wouldn't have even given it a thought. lol.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

The wind certainly did some damage to that roof. Thank the Lord your home wasn't harmed.
We don't usually get really bad winds here, but I remember one storm back in 1962 that blew out a huge picture window that my little ones had been playing under just seconds before. Thank God they weren't hurt.

I sure got a good laugh at the list!
Thanks for sharing it.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Yep, that was all me Rachel. I'm sure glad you escaped any damage. That wind sounded terrible.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got me on number 9.
My daughter text me from her bedroom and I'm sitting downstairs on the couch.
If I leave my phone accidentally I don't mind but it's my husband and daughter that have a fit.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Great list...I loved it. We also got the winds...but waht hasn't Arkansas got lately? LOL

Hope all is well with you and your hubby.

Love, jess

PS So glad to be back!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

I wouldn't like to be without Power that long. Loved your list.

9:16 PM  
Blogger 4evergapeach said...

Thanks for the laugh! That list was great. My children now call me from their bedroom from their cell phones. The epitomy of lazy!

Like you we had some high winds but I only lost power for about an hour. That was terrible what happened in OK. We should count our blessing!

6:56 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Ha, ha, tee, hee, snort!

Windy days make me grumpy.
I'm glad you did not have any property damage.
If I ever enter my pin on the microwave, then I will just voluntarily commit myself to a long term care facility.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter