Friday, December 16, 2005

Sharing my opinion!

When I was a kid there was a pond down below our house and we sometimes fished in it. I recall one day I went down there to fish and I caught a tiny little fish and it had hooked it right through the eye. Well, I couldn’t get that hook out without the eye wanting to come out too. It was so sad and I sat there and just cried and cried. You know, now I can’t remember what I did to get it off. Seems like I kept at it and finally managed to get it out without the eye coming out but the little fish was good as dead by then. That’s one reason I never cared much for fishing I guess. I was always, as my Mom called it, “good hearted.” She said even when I was little I never wanted to see anything being mistreated or hurt.

Maybe I was what some might call “delicate” or “soft hearted” or “weak?” (or wimp??) I never did like to see anything that consisted of any violence or anything being hurt. Even now I don’t like to watch TV or movies that contain violence. I like comedies and movies where it all works out nice for everyone. I remember watching Tarzan (some of you may recall that show), and they never really showed you anything, but the natives would capture someone and they would bend over two trees and tie him to each tree and then cut the rope and let the trees fly up. They didn’t show anything but the trees flying up and all you heard was the scream but you knew what was happening. That used to bother me to no end. I would lay awake at night and think about that. I would think how horrible that would be to do somebody like that! Then on westerns, which were so popular back then, they might have a hanging. Oh they never showed anything but you heard the sound of the trapdoor opening and then they’d show the legs hanging there. That bothered me too! I know you’re thinking, “Gosh this was one weird child!” But I couldn’t help it. I can’t imagine how traumatized I would be being a child now and the stuff they have on TV and the movies!

I never had children but I always said if I had that the only thing I would let them watch would be “Andy Griffith” and “Leave it to Beaver!” I mean, I know if things like that bothered me back then that there must be other kids like that who are bothered by such shows today. I’ve seen people let their little tiny children watch stuff like “The Chainsaw Massacre” and “Friday the 13th”, and such shows as that!

Am I the only one who ever felt this way? I know it’s just TV and it’s not real, but still I don’t like to watch it, and I honestly don’t think kids should watch that stuff. Just my opinion.

16 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

No, you're not the only one. I couldn't fish because I couldn't stand the idea of the hook in the worm. It DOES hurt the worm. That's why it wiggles so.

My Mama called it being "good hearted" too. That brought back memories.

I've never seen any of the Friday the 13th movies. I did go see Pulp Fiction and honestly, I just about fainted. I hate violence.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

There is way to much sex and violence on tv today. I just hope kids don't get used to it.
I know I haven't..

5:23 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

No Rachel..you are not the only one who felt/feels this way...(I truly understand what you feel in every way and I think it is that soft hearted caring person, that you are, that I feel close to..and I'm comfortable with, in every way...Iv'e never seen "Friday The 13th" or any of those violent bloody type movies...THEY hold no interest for me in any way..And I am repelled by the violence of them....and, by the horrible horrific violence in movies and television...That story of you fishing, brought me to tears...(Frankly, I'venever understood fishing or hunting or any of the "killing" things like that...)
What you have written is important and profound and BEAUTIFULLY expressed, Rachel. Thank You...thank you very much.

Incidentally, the Post I've been working on that I told uou about, with the pictures? It's FINALLY up! Take a look-see...

5:42 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Rachel--This is revealing and made me think. I'm a guy but I sort of fit the non-violent sort.
I don't like to watch war movies and haven't watched the movies mentioned. My type TV program is the Beverly Hillbillies.
I have gone fishing two times in my life. Maybe I will take it up in retirement though. I don't hunt.
I'm glad you guys are "good hearted," that probably doesn't fit me very good.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

You are not the only one, but I'm not as bad as you are...I hate it when I see a dead dog or cat on the street. I suppose there mom didn't teach them how to look both ways. I loved watching Tarzan when I was a kid. Johnny Wisemiller was my hero. Yes there is too much sex and violence in televion and movies today. I could do without it completely.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel. I am the same way. I can't stand violence or knowing that something is getting hurt. I usually only watch romances and comedies, too. I know they are safe. Have a great weekend!

7:52 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

I went fishing with my Dad once when I was little, and it was the first and last time.

When there is something on TV I don't like, I just look away or close my eyes.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I think I can be on the "sensitive" side too...you aren't the only one, that's for sure.

9:23 PM  
Blogger BarbaraMG said...

You are certainly not the only one. I think God gives certain people very sensitive hearts. Many times in my life I asked God why he chose to let me feel so deeply but I have ever been given an answer. Now I am thnkful for it because it is a gift. I would never want to walk around the world without feeling such a deep compassion for humanity. I WANT to be touched when I see someone in pain. I WANT my heart to ache when I see a prostitute or a homeless person. I WANT my soul to feel sad for the many lonely people I run into each day. I want GOD to use this gift He has given me. I am not talented musically or artistically. I don't sing, dance nor am I a leader. I never did well in school or made any athletic teams. But God has given me a gift (that I don't take any credit for) and I hope in the end it will be used for His glory. (OK end of sermon.)

12:20 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
It's not just you. Books did it to me. There were a lot of books I started but never finished because of all the violence. TV just makes it worse.
Ralph

11:43 AM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

We had a 'movie club' one winter with three people, and I hid my eyes, along with a friend, at the scary/violent parts! As a child, I think the things that happened 'off camera' were more frightening than what they showed; I had a vivid imagination.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Kids today see way too much violence and way too many sexually related things. I was very strict about what my kids watched.
I am not as sensitive as you are though.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I am numb to violence having seen all the animal violence on a pig farm. Nothing even phases me after that.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

You're not alone, Rachel.
I do have kids, am openminded about reading, etc, but when it comes to graphic images and sounds that could give them nightmares, I put my foot down.

That includes the "Titanic" movie that was out a few years ago. As an artist, the nude painting was not a problem. It was the horror so realistically depicted that I did not want my pre-teens to see! Their friends were inviting them over right and left to watch the move, but I said "no" and my kids understood.

They are exposed to enough violence by regularly reading the paper and being aware, since they were little. Again, I did not let them watch the news. They could read the paper, but the TV news chooses the most depressing and violent events to show, whereas the paper has events of all types.

My kids are not grown yet, but they are very aware, worldly, and hardly underexposed. I don't regret for one minute, preventing SOME nightmares, since kids of all ages, have nightmares no matter what...

8:27 PM  
Blogger Whistle Britches said...

Okay, don't tell anybody but once when I was 12 I shot a Robin in my back yard and watched the BB go into it's chest and I was very upset and never aimed that bb gun at another bird again.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I am very particular about what my kids watch and what I watch for that matter. Some people think I'm too picky but you know, there are other things more important than watching t.v. My kids only see PBS and even then, it's limited.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter