Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Tireless Energy

Yesterday I kept my great niece since there was no school due to the snow. She is 8. Her Mom had to drop her off at 5:15 a.m. Normally I am a late sleeper, so 5:15 was like the middle of the night to me. Her Mom said she would probably lie on the sofa and go back to sleep. Wrong!! She is used to getting up early and was ready to go strong.

If I only had one teaspoon of that child’s energy I could really get some things done. She never stops! She played with our dog. She has him jumping through a hoop over and over and over. Poor guy! She gives him a little bite of a treat when he does it. I taught him to do that and I have him do it sometimes like 5-6 times and then that's it. I put the hoop away and he gets his treat. Not so with her. She makes him work for every bite. He has to jump through the hoop or beg.

She went around and around in circles and then would fall down and rest about half a minute and right back up and at it again.

She played with the cat, "Little Bit." I got her a long piece of string and she tied it to her back belt loop and she ran around the 2 chairs in the living room with the cat chasing the string at full speed. My area rugs got pushed further and further up the side of the wall with each circle. She giggled all the while! They did this for ages. The cat was panting like a dog and finally had to rest!

At noon I took her with me to feed the stray cats, which she loved doing. Then we went to Wendy's and I got us food. She loves their chicken nuggets with sweet and sour sauce. We drove around through one neighborhood and saw a whole bunch of different snowmen, and we both enjoyed that.

It was far too cold to be outside. I’m so glad I have the dog and cat to entertain her, otherwise I’m sure she’d be bored to death. When her Mom came to pick her up she didn’t want to leave.

Last night myself, the dog, and the cat all slept well! I'm hoping my great niece did too. She should have! I have never seen such tireless energy. I told her Mom that her child should be on the track team for sure!! I do love to hear her giggle. The laughter of a child is such a good sound.

Happy Valentine’s Day to everyone!!

18 Comments:

Blogger Seeker said...

Where do the kids get all that energy?!
How much snow did you get? Here in Chicag it would take about 2 feet to slow things down for very long....

8:59 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You had a busy day with that little bundle of energy.
She had such fun with the pets & strays and of course, YOU, that she wanted to stay.
Have a Happy Valentine's Day.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Seeker, we only got about 2 inches and it's all gone now. The backroads being icy and slick are what closes the schools.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you believe that we all had such energy once? LOL! Yes, I'd love to have that back. I could really use it.

Happy Valentine's Day, Rachel!
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

12:00 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

And you loved every minute. We get to do that with our 8-year-old every now and then. Feb 27 is our next time.
These nice little kids keep us a bit young.
..

1:31 PM  
Blogger 4evergapeach said...

I remember those days! It was pure physical exhaustion. Now that they are teenagers it's mental anxiety! I don't know which is worse! LOL!

Glad you enjoyed your day, enjoy a nice rest tonight. :)

1:48 PM  
Blogger EV said...

What a day! Happy Valentines Day, Rachel. :)

2:54 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Happy Valentines Day..

4:17 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your exhausting day! It is wonderful to hear the laughter of children, my daughter has such a musical laugh, when she does laugh, I just sit and listen! My oldest has a contagious belly laugh, that is great to hear too! My middle one laughs hard and giggles too, it is so cool! Happy Valentine's Day!

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still no snow here in Missoui, but it is supposed to get cold this weekend :( I am just ready for spring. Hope you had a great Valentine's Day!!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
I have to admit - I got tired just reading about your day. You have to admire the energy and appreciate the giggles. Sleep well.
Ralph

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel,
I must have run all my energy out when I was a kid, too. Because I sure don't have any left now. Get some rest.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Congrats on a great day. I would agree. I think childrens laughter is about the most infectious thing I can think of.

9:10 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Talking about kids, they really have an endless energy. My grandson who is only 1 & 7 months really wears me out. He never sits down. If he does its only for seconds or minutes. The only time his quiet is when he's asleep.

2:02 AM  
Blogger David said...

I could do nothing but laugh at this post - it was only ONE child. Try five at one time like when my five show up. But 0515 is early.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

npoor you :-) most parents get a chance to get acclimatized to it...you just thrown in the deep end! sounds like you had fun.

7:35 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

So good to see you back blogging and I hope that means you are feeling beter!
This child sounds like the Energizer Bunny! I laughed when you said you'd like jusr one teaspoon of her energy...LOL...Me Too!!! Poor kitty...so worn out he was panting!! Good Lordy....

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter