Friday, October 20, 2006

"Why Did I Get in That Check Out Lane??"


Cooler weather is here. The leaves are changing colors fast now. This picture was taken about a week ago and they have changed a whole lot since then.









This next picture shows the cosmos in the yard. They are truly at their peak right now.








Yesterday I was in Kroger shopping. There was only 3 lanes open. One was the 10 items or less. One was the 15 items or less. Only one lane for the regular folks like me, who had about 20 items or so. The girl in front of me had a cart that was full. Her total came up to the $135 range. She was paying with her food stamp card and she only had $85 left on it. So she started taking things out to return until she had gotten it down to what she could afford. She gave back milk, a huge bag of sugar, several packages of bacon, and lots of boxed frozen items. I normally think "Why did I get in this lane," but there was no other lane for me to get in! I was patient but I could tell the girl at the register was not real excited by it. The baggers had to take all the things she couldn't afford back and put it up. I wanted to tell her why she didn't carry a calculator with her so she could keep better tabs on what she was spending. Without a calculator I can come pretty close most of the time, but she was waaaayyyy out of her range. She offered no apologies to anyone. I would have been embarrassed to no end if it had of been me. Finally they got her back down to her range and she left. I asked the cashier if that happened often. She said it happened sometimes but not to that extent, that sometimes people might run over a few dollars and have to put back a couple of items, but this was extreme. I agree.

It's Friday and another week almost over. They sure go along at a fast pace. I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

14 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

You get in the wrong lane because it seems there is no correct lane. Maybe the woman can't afford a calculator. Or maybe she's not too bright.

I blame the store. They should have opened another lane when they saw what was happening.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Sounds like she had no clue! I think that happens when people are not spending their own money!
Here in CA, they give the food stamp recipients an ATM card so no one knows they are not paying with regular means.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

The older we get the faster the weeks fly by. Ah to be young again but just as smart as we are now. Right?

10:49 PM  
Blogger PinkCat said...

When Scragend and I first lived together I had to take a calculator with me shopping for a long time. We had a budget and I had to stick to it. I knew it and we managed. I do wonder about people. I know that I am fortunate enough to not be in that postion but I can honestly say that I know roughly how much my shopping is going to be when I get to the checkout.

BTW I usually end up in the slowest lane. LOL

Take care xx

11:03 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

That would be so embarrassing for everyone. Her inability to estimate is probably what got her into trouble to begin with.
I like the mule pics Rachel. You have a good time don't you.

5:08 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I'm sorry, but I have no clue either of what my total is going to be. I can't even tell you what milk or bread even cost. I guess I am one of the lucky ones never having to live on a budget, but never being rich either.
If I was spending someone else's money or was on food stamps I guess I would just have to carry a calculator with me.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
Cooler weather arrived here again last night - about three inches of snow on the ground. Every lane I get in not matter what slows down the minute I enter it.
Ralph

7:18 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Those 10 items or less aisles are disciminitory against people like me who shop once a week and usually have 50 items.
I seem to pick the wrong aisle every time. I will get behind someone who has just a few things and I will think that I've really hit a fast lane. Then, the person will have coupons to turn in and then have trouble with their debit card, etc...

You just can't win!!

Our trees are turning pretty colors of purple and gold. I love fall!!

Happy Weekend! Have a truffle!!!

10:41 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It is amazing that someone who shops all the time would be so far off the mark...well, it just occurred to me, maybe SHE doesn't shope all the time!

I'd love to see some of the pictures of the leaves turning, Rachel...we have a tree here and there that will do that but generally speaking we don't have that beaituful phenomenom...!

11:35 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

lol...this reminds me of last saturday at walmart...we got behind a lady that was neurotic...she took every item out of her buggy one at a time and after it was scanned checked each price...and she had a buggy of groceries
:-O each can was taken out each bag of whatever...just imagine!!!
Then on our way out she was in the customer service line...I guess she found something that was not right...wacko for sure!!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I am kind of feeling sorry for that lady. It sounds like she is almost as bad at math as I am. :)

By the way, I do wear galsses, but I don't need them for close vision so I don't wear them all the time.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you are having a good weekend.
I felt kind of sorry for the food stamp woman. Not only is she poor but she is obviously an eternal optomist, where money is concerned anyways..

7:08 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

How sad. I would be taking a calculator with me if I was concerned about over doing it.
I agree it would be very embarassing.

1:19 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Rachel my dear....I wanted to let you know I posted some more George Flowers Pics today---Close ups whuch I absolutely LOVE!! The light is so extrordinary in them...If you get a chance, drop by and take a look!

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter