Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Okay Here We Go, Heavy Stuff

I read a funny post by Doug at As I See It which made me LOL because I can so totally relate to that post. He writes some funny stuff and some of it is fact and some is fiction. I have even copied some of his stuff and read to my husband so he could have some good laughs too. This particular one is where he discusses how men carry wallets and women carry purses and that we do carry everything but the kitchen sink in them. I had to laugh because he was describing my purse to a T. Recently my sister-in-law was here and she lifted my purse off the chair and sit it on the table. She said, "Lord A Mercy, what in the world have you got in there? I couldn't carry a purse that heavy." I told her it had all my "stuff" in it. After reading his post I was thinking of all the things I have in my purse. When I was working the other girl in the office asked if anyone had any matches. I don't smoke, never have, but I dug in my purse and pulled out a book of matches that had been in there for ages. She was amazed that I had some. She wanted it to light a candle. Another time she needed a safety pin. I dug in my purse and got her one. The Doctor came in and asked if anyone had a KY road map. We just looked at each other. I said, "Well I know I carry lots of stuff in my purse but I don't have that!" But I did have one in the car!

I think the things that make it really heavy are the cell phone, digital camera, spare batteries for the camera, and enough loose change (like Doug said) to fill a bank vault! I have a side pocket that I put loose change in. Sometimes when it gets to overflowing I will empty it. Lots of the loose change gets tossed in the purse and stays there until I clean it out (which is rare). Loose change gets quite heavy. Then you add in the comb, lipstick, mirror, 2 checkbooks, a large wallet, appointment (not that I have any) calendar with notepad, Kleenex, ink pens (2-4), reading glasses, huge bunch of keys (which are also quite heavy), address book, asthma inhaler, and then you have the miscellaneous stuff; safety pin, matches, couple of separate keys, small container of Tylenol, maybe an extra allergy pill or two, an extra pair of earrings, paper clip or two (just in case I need one), emery board (don't you hate to get a broken nail and no emery board), coupons, lip gloss, nail clippers (a must have!), dental floss (another must have!), and ....I think that's about it. I've probably got something in there I left out though! However....no kitchen sink, probably because there's no more room!! I bought a new purse and it's bigger than the one I have now.......so...that means I can carry more items! Let's see.......maybe an extra pair of shoes??? Nah!!

19 Comments:

Blogger PinkCat said...

Oh my Rachel that sounds like my bag too (we call our purses handbags in England). I can always find something in the bottom of my bag to soothe a fretful child. Too funny. I love your posts.

Take care xx

10:24 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

LOL!!! You described my purse to a "T"! I also find old reciepts and flower seeds on the bottom. (I can't resist collecting seeds)
Oh yes, I find an occassional doggie biscuit (for my yorkies, not me) Lots of bubble gum and breath mints.
My purse is so heavy I joke about carrying it around in a wheelbarrow!

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My jaw's on the ground. You need a backpack maybe even a dolley?!? :)

3:53 AM  
Blogger Miki said...

Rachel, I carry a back pack, not a purse, pocketbook or a handbag. I started carrying it when my youngest was just out of diapers, you know the change of clothes for the little one, so that I wouldn't have to carry a pocketbook and the diaper bag too! I have a large envelope, the plastic kind with the tie colsure with little envelopes in side, they contain my organized coupons, and are in a large place to find quickly. I could go on and on and on about what is in there, but we haven't the space or the time, and I am getting tired just thinking about what is in there! i TRIED NOT TO CARRY IT, I REALLY DID!

4:47 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

I have most all that stuff and then some!
I can't get over the feeling that "I might need it" when I'm out!
Most of the time all I need are about 3 or 4 things which would fit in a small purse!!

7:36 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

A dear friend of mine in Ky used to carry a purse such as you have described...she ended up with a back problem that the doc blamed on the purse...he banned her to only using a wallet now...
:-D

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised Rachel, no KY roadmap in your purse, (had most of the other States covered though?)

4:35 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Are you old enough to remember the old game show "Let's Make A Deal"? In it, the host would ask members of the audience if they had this or that in their purse and if they did, he would give them $25 or $100....you would have won easily!! lol My purse also gets heavy at times but I don't have half the stuff you do...my goodness, it certainly must be heavy! lol

5:04 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

My kids go to school with a purse, and a backpack. Between the two of them, they have the kitchen sink and the rest of the kitchen, too.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Jimmy gives me that look when I even look at a bigger purse to buy...and then he reminds me that it has to fit in the saddle bags of the motorcycle.

I carry my cell phone, camera, extra batteries & memory cards, checkbook, credit/debit cards, drivers license, various insurance cards, comb.
I spend all my change unless it's a rare coin I come across and seldom carry over $20 in bills. Oh and I have a pen in there too & sunscreen & advil. This is all in a VERY TINY purse.

You saw my red bike...it has locking luggage...well the rest of my stuff is in there and I do carry a Kentucky road map.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

That is so funny! I know a lady who has everything known to man in her purse. She carries scissors in her purse! She may even have a map of KY in her purse, and she lives in CA!!
I can relate to the loose change thing.
I don't carry tons of stuff in my backpack purse thingie. I make sure I always have anti-bacterial wipes in there though because I am a germ freak.
My kids laugh at me for always wiping my hands clean before we eat out anywhere.
I think it is great that you carry so much with you.
You are always prepared!
I bet that some of the coupons in your purse have been expired for a LONG time.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Jamie Dawn - oh no, no expired coupons for me. I don't carry that many of them!! I don't like loose papers in my purse, so they do get checked out frequently.

8:30 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL...So funny, my dear! I think what you need is one of those small suitcases that the Airline Stewerdesses use, you know? On wheels...Then it would be easy for you to get around and it won't ever possibly strain your back....not that you mentioned that..but I always worry about that...! AND, you COULD carry an extra pair of shoes....Lunch and an afternoon snack...and maybe an extra pair of socks, too! Think about that, my dear...!

9:22 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Thanks for the inventory. Someone around here posted a picture of what all was in her purse. Not nearly all that junk you have.

Those mushrooms are pretty, all different looking. They would make a wild tea.
..

10:46 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

OOLOTH - Naomi, you have given me food for thought now!! Extra shoes and socks, and maybe some food, huh.......

Jim, What are you calling JUNK????

2:31 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Rachel, I keep my spare change in my pocket. Until my pants start to fall off then it's decision time.

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I utterly HATE to carry a purse. I think it stems back from when I was in jr high and left it in class one day. Let's just say that kids can be so mean when they find certain items...anyway.

My mother used to have a purse like that. She kept it beside her bed as she was afraid someone would go through it..like us kids.

Hey, thanks for stopping by the blog! Nice to meet another Kentuckian!

9:20 AM  
Blogger Doug Bagley said...

LOL! Shall I say,"case in point?" Loved your post.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I missed your church sign today!
..

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter