Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering 9-11


I know everyone can remember where they were when they first heard about the senseless attacks by terrorists back on 9-11-01. I was at work in a doctor's office. We had a TV in the waiting room. The office manager came back where I was and told me what was happening. I immediately went out in the waiting room to watch in horror. There was only 2-3 patients there at the time and we were all glued to the TV. The other doctor who shared our office (he was not seeing patients that day) was also there watching. We watched in stunned silence, shock, and horror as the tower's were hit and then hearing about the Pentagon. Once I heard about the Pentagon it suddenly dawned on me that my stepdaughter was working in Washington, DC at that time. I didn't know where in DC but I knew she was there. That sent a new fear through me. She works for a company that produces software out of NC and they were there training employees at a company that had purchased their software. I dug her business card out of my purse and then got on the phone and called the company that she works for in Charlotte. They told me that they had not been able to be in contact with any of their people yet but they were desperately trying to find out about their safety. They took my name and told me they would call me as soon as they had any word. I then called her mother in Ohio and told her that I was trying to find out. She was beside herself with worry as I knew she would be. She also had called the company. We promised to let each other know when we knew anything.

I went back to the TV to watch and then to see the added horror of the buildings falling and all the dust and debris and the people all running in panic.

I spent some more time watching and then I finally called her company again. He said that he had just gotten contact from the team leader of their group and that they were all safe. He didn't know where they were exactly when she had called but that they were safe. He said that they would try to rent a van to go and bring them all home as soon as they could. Then I had that wonderful relief that she was safe and I called her Mother to let her know. She was very grateful and thanked me for making the calls, etc. I knew she was too upset to do it since she was crying on the phone each time I talked with her, and that is certainly understandable.

In a few days they did send a van and brought them all back home. They were working a block from the Pentagon and heard the airplane hit and saw the smoke. Then their building was evacuated and they had to walk back to their hotel. She said everything was pretty much in chaos and they, like the rest of the world, was in shock. They watched from their room then and found out what all had been going on. She did call later that day.

Such a senseless stupid act that killed so many innocent people. My heart goes out to the families who lost loved ones. I'm sure many of the survivors have their own difficulties dealing with the memories as well.

We are never safe though. I pray that our country will not let their guard down and always be vigilant in this area. I'm sure the evil ones are always looking for an opportunity to do something else to kill as many as possible. We must all be alert. I pray that God will protect us from anything like this again.

I must say I agree with the sign on this truck below whole heartedly!

17 Comments:

Blogger 1 plus twins said...

thanks for sharing your story. your right this day will always be etched in our hearts, minds and souls. such a sad unneccessary day. i am with you i agree with what the back of the truck says.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Amen and AMEN.
Rachel, what a hearfelt post and what a terrible day it was for you and yours. I'm with you on every word. We must not let the morons shame us into hiding our flags, and Bibles and beliefs.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

All Americans must keep an eye out & be watchful, not just those in command. There were many events leading up to 9-ll and I'm glad that we finally said enough is enough and declared war on the terrorists. They have a distorted way of looking at life & death. So many innocent lives have been lost to terrorists in the U.S. and around the world as well.

I agree with the bumper sticker on the truck.
And I'm glad that your stepdaughter was ok. We had a similar family experience except that Billy, 2nd cousin worked at the one of the WTC buildings and was last there the day before when he left on a business trip. All his friends were killed.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Rachel,
I got a bit of a chill reading this. Yours is one of several I've readwho had a loved very close to the affected areas.
Glad yours had a happy ending.
May we never forget...

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a horrible day!! Gotta love that truck sign. She still waves proudly.

3:43 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

You are soooo right Rachel.
I too feel for the survivors...it breaks my heart to read all the tributes, but my heart will heal...Bill Hunts Mother and Father's heart will never heal, ever ever. Nor will any of the survivors hearts...A hole that cannot be repaired is what each of them walk around with...Bless Them All!
And I don't understand when The Flag became something we should NOT be proud of or Love???
Help!

4:42 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Rachel -- You had a more scary time than I did for a while there. I'm glad it all worked out for your daughter.
I was glued to the TV almost all day. Couldn't do anything else. I had been watching the Today Show when they broke in.
Your flag picture reminded me to go our to get our flag. Mrs. Jim came home through the garage, then turned off the front light.
Technically we aren't supposed to leave the flag out at night unless it is lighted. I'll go now.
..

7:32 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

Wonderful Tribute!
Thank you.
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Cool Raggedy one

8:38 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

I know we aren't supposed to do ratial profiline, but all the terrorists are of Muslim decent. I saw James Wood on the Jay Leno show tonight and he said tht the FBI werent allowed to check out some of the Muslims on planes because of ratial profiling. It seems that he was on the same flight from Boston, just a few weeks prior to the actual attack and four of the two terrorists were on that plane acting weird. He and a stewardes made a complaint but it wasn't acted upon because of profiling. Hummmm......

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would have been completely horrifying to realize a loved one was within harms distance during that time.

Thank you for sharing your story Rachel. I'm happy your loved one escaped harm that day.

3T

6:11 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Who can ever forget that dreadful day...I remember every second as the horror unfolded to reveal even more horror. To this day my heart still aches for all the loved ones that were torn apart...hard to believe it's 5 years ago already, seems so fresh in my mind still.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Good and riveting story, Rachel. I was up early that morning and watching Fox and Friends. I saw the second plane hit and I was so stunned, I couldn't believe it. I wanted to wake up the rest of the family, but I waited until they got up. Then I spent the rest of the day glued to the tv. Terrible event. May it please God never to let it happen again.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Doug Bagley said...

It's still so heart breaking,isn't it?

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched the end of that Path to 9/11 movie and it just brought all those feelings back to the surface. The fear. The unknown.

We need a reminder every now and again, that it could happen again. We must not let our guard down.

Great post, Rachel!

8:58 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
Thanks for sharing this. It is truly a great post marking a time we will never forget.
Ralph

7:14 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly!
The only sad thing is...after it happened a burst of patriotism that I had never experienced...US flags everywhere...where are they today???
:-(
PS...I just wanted to stop by and thank you so much for your support during my down time...I am taking it easy but trying to slowly catch up...thanks for being a great friend!
(((hugs)))

11:05 AM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

What a horrible and tragic day!
Touching tribute!

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter