Saturday, August 26, 2006

Tobacco, B&B, and Horses, Oh My!

Here's some more pictures from my drive the other day. This shows one tobacco patch and then another patch that had been cut. Soon the tobacco will be hauled into the barns and hung up for curing out. Dirty hot work!





This is a B&B called Raintree Inn. It is only a few miles from us. It is a historic Civil War era home. It got the name since that location was used for some of the movie "Raintree County" which starred Elizabeth Taylor. That movie was made back in the 50's. This home also has a carriage house and barn which were also turned into guest rooms. It sits real close to the road and I just took this photo from the rolled down car window.


This horse is so pretty. Love that dapple gray color!! I tried to get him in the car and I think he was willing too, but he just wouldn't fit. Besides I really didn't want to be hung for horse rustling!

11 Comments:

Blogger Desert Dreamer said...

I love your website, hope you keep those beautiful photos coming. I am an animal lover too...need some cats? LOL

8:42 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Loved seeing the tobacco fields! As I think I mentioned by Dad's family were tobacco farmers in KY!
The old B&B is lovely too...

8:53 AM  
Blogger PinkCat said...

Awww I would have tried to sneak him in my car too. He is a looker.

I loved the house picture. We have lots of B&Bs in England. I loved staying in them but when we had children we found out that a lot of them are not tolerant of children. Shame really because my two were always good travellers and behaved well.

Take care xx

11:42 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

That house is gorgeous! A true southern mansion.
I'm sure the whole entire place is lovely.
The tobacco fields look great too.

12:17 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

ree, I knew it had to be coinnected to that film! Lovely looking B&B!
Sweet horse, too! Too bad he wouldn't fit in your car Rachel, but, on the other hand I would NOT want to hear that you were hung!!! (lol)

4:20 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

I had never seen a tobacco field before!! How i'd love to stay in that B&B...I love old colonial homes like that!! The horse is gorgeous too!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Those are very nice pictures, Rachel.
I'm sure you had a very nice ride.

I was in a tobacco field once, in
Georgia. The tobacco was still short and young. The harvesting part looks interesting.

Do you have those tall tobacco curing houses in Kentucky?
..

9:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

LOL...I would have had to come and bailed you out if they got you for horse rustling. That is a handsome horse.

The tobacco cutters are busy at work these days. I saw several yellow fields ready for cutting. Yes, I've heard from you & hubby that it's very hard work.

I stayed at a B&B Thursday night...it was our first time and we loved it. We always shyed away from them, but now we won't.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Mountain Mama...Around here machines don't cut the tobacco, men do. I've never seen a machine cut a tobacco field.

6:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous house! Neat historical info.
Liz Taylor came to my university and...but well, I guess someday I'll blog about that.

1:56 AM  
Blogger Ravenbajan said...

Nice photos! Thanks for the trip to your area!

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter