Sunday, August 13, 2006

Visiting the Resort

This Sunday has been very relaxing, basically because other than go to church I have been pretty lazy. I did some minor cooking and washing dishes. Otherwise; drinking coffee, reading the Sunday paper, taking a mid-afternoon snooze, things like that!

Friday evening my neighbor and I went to a resort that is near here.
Woodson Bend is a gated resort that I had never been to. (that link was the only one I could find). It's probably about 10 miles from us. They have a golf course, restaurant, pool, boat ramp, tennis courts, and all kinds of ammenities if you live there. I have been wanting to go for a while now. The restaurant doesn't open until 5 p.m. They said they have a grill or something at the Pro-shop that you can eat at during the day. I made reservations for us at 6:30 and when we got to the gate the security guard had to call and confirm that we did have reservations. I was surprised at how big the resort is. It has condo's that about all look the same. Most do not have garages but they have small garages behind them for folks to park their golf carts in. (They look like little garages for midgets or something!). Seems everyone had a golf cart and there was several parked at the restaurant. They have a huge pool that was so pretty and it was right behind the restaurant. We ate with a view of the pool. Our county is dry but since that is a private resort you can BYOB. These folks at the table beside us brought their cooler and they had several bottles on their table. No we did not take any booze. I had pork chops, green beans, baked potato, rolls, and ice tea. It was good too. Usually green beans are not that great out, but these were southern down home yummy, seasoned just right. We both agreed that they had a good cook!!

When we came out we passed by some golf carts parked there. Now I am not a golfer and really know nothing about it. They had their clubs on the cart and they had these cute little things stuck over some of their clubs that looked like socks on the bottom! These particular ones had Ohio State on them and were bright red and very pretty. I laughed and said, "Oh look at these cute little sock things they have on here!" Now I want you golfers out there (Cliff, Ralph, Jim) to tell me what those are for!! Do you all have those on your clubs too?? I'm sure you don't have Ohio State but maybe something? And what is the purpose or is there a purpose?? I was just wondering as I knew you all would know. We drove around the area and it is kept up so nicely. I'm sure the monthly fees are expensive. We never did find the boat ramp or the pro-shop.

After we left the resort about a half mile down the road we saw 10 deer in the field! That was a special treat for us too.

16 Comments:

Blogger PinkCat said...

I am glad that you had a lovely Sunday. I like chilling out and then going out for a meal. Sounds like so much fun.

Take care xx

9:13 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Sounds like a lovely Sunday outing. I was surprised about the "dry county" In CA, you can buy liquor in every store, drugstore, convenience market, as well as many liquor stores!
I didn't know there were places that had restrictions!!
My KY grandparents did not touch liquor. Maybe they came from a dry area???

9:32 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Your Friday night outting to Woodsen Bend with your friend sounded really nice.

You asked about those little socks covering each golf club...Well those are to keep the clubs warm and to keep their little feet clean *LOL*. I guess those golfers couldn't afford to buy the shoes for their clubs, with the high cost of living in a place like that either *ROFLOL* I'm sure by now you can tell that I don't know anything about golfing either. I hope that I didn't offend any golfer out there, joking about their clubs.

I've passed the Woodsen Bend billboard sign, but for some reason I thought it was a ski resort. Don't ask me why.

So you were lazing around today...that's a good thing to do on a Sunday afternoon.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Rachel. Those socks do keep the clubs warm but that isn't important.
They keep the club heads from rubbing against each other, kind of like an old fashioned bundling board [look up in Wikopedia if necessary]. That keeps them from getting knocked around and getting dings.

Their real name is head covers. Mrs. Jim has an LSU Tiger head cover.
Mine are antiques, some have club brand logos. Some people do use socks.
..
Oh yes, Texas has dry areas, so does Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri, and most other Southern states you can think of. I'm not sure about Florida, but I think the panhandle area has dry areas.
..

11:42 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

That was a fun comment. So might this one be.
Britmum tagged me. At first I wasn't going to do it, but changed my mind and did it today.
Now I have to tag YOU.
..

11:44 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

To continue on what Jim said. With the head covers on...you aren't so apt to knock the paint off of your clubs when you SLAM your pitching wedge into the bag after a poor shot.
There use is not so important now that most of the 'woods' are now made from different and assorted metals. They aren't so apt to be dented.

5:23 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

from what Hubby tells me they are club covers and they protect the "expensive" clubs from clacking together and scratches and pits...and lol on the Ohio State ones...everything here is Ohio State Red and it gets even worse in the fall football season!!!
:-D

7:51 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

also dry laws are bogus...there are always bootleggers and that is such silliness, because people are gonna find a way to do it especially on a resort...lol!!!
I remember blue laws too but they've been gone for a while (no stores open on Sunday for those of you that don't know)
I was raised by tee-totalers...in a dry county...with blue laws...very Mayberry...lol!!
Those were the days......

7:56 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds like a very nice place though sort of regimented in a way. I have never quite understood the places all looking alike, have you? But I guess once you are inside it doesn't matter. I think those little socks are to keep the clubs warm! (lol) Sorry, Rachel....forgive this very stupid bad joke!

9:37 PM  
Blogger 4evergapeach said...

Sounds like my kind of Sunday! I can't remember the last one that I didn't have to work. The resort trip sounds enjoyable but a bit ritzy for me. Give me a hole-in-the-wall out in the boondocks and that's where you'll find the good food!

My son has a gopher head cover for one of his clubs. I've seen lots of different animals, Tigger, and other cartoon characters. Lots of different ones out there. I've gotten lazy and just taken mine off. Maybe if I find a cute one I may use it.

4:10 AM  
Blogger 4evergapeach said...

Oh, I almost forgot.....it seems about 1 cup of salt per pound of peanuts seems to be the way to go. Try them, you'll love them!

4:12 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Sounds like great fun. I'm glad you had a good break.
Thanks for passing by.

4:27 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Rachel, I've missed your sweet stories and photos and funny cartoons. I read down through the drive-in post.
I remember going to the drive-in when I was little.
What fun it was! I'd like to find one and take my teenaged kids so they could experience it.
We have really needed rain. We did get some, but not nearly enough. The storms that come through are passing through quickly, so we don't get a good soak.
The resort you visited sounds nice. I'm not a golfer, but I think those little sock thingies are pretty cute. I think fellow golfers like to show off their golf covers and would probably not like the fact that I said they were cute. But let's face it, little sock-like golf covers are not that manly.
I will have a new post up on Wed.
My blog break was nice and very busy with my family. I enjoyed my parents and brother's visit very much, but I now need to rest from all the traveling we did. I have much to share, and I look forward to being back in the blog world.
One time, we had a barbecue at church and we had on the flyers: BYOB (bring your own buns.) :)

8:53 AM  
Blogger Ava said...

Sounds like you had a very enjoyable time.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

What a lovely way to spend a Sunday...sounds like you had a fun time:-)I would have especially loved seeing all those deers!!

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happen to live very close to Woodsen Bend as well, I have spent many days golfing at Woodsen, and it is a very nice place with, for the most part, friendly people. I have never ate at the restaurant though, how are the prices? Also a lot of people from Ohio have condos there, maybe why you saw the Buckeye head covers.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter