Thursday, September 07, 2006

Different Stuff

Here is some tobacco and part of it's cut. The low long building you see is where they will house the tobacco to let it cure out. Since I took this picture this tobacco that has been cut is already hanging in there. We always hung ours in the barn when I was a kid growing up and people still do that too. You do see more and more like this though where they just hang it in these....and I'm not even sure what they call them. This one runs the whole length of the field and it's covered but no sides. A lot easier than building a barn and does the same job I guess.








Pup loves to have his face in the wind when he's riding in the car. Sometimes he is in the front seat and then he'll get in the back. If he has his head up there and a loud car or truck comes along he is quick to get back inside and lay down! He used to bark and bark at the garbage men and run out in the yard and just bark and carry on like he was so bad! One day he did that and the air brakes made that big noise and then they decided to dump the container from the front into the back of the truck and squeeze it up like they do. That scared poor Pup so bad he came running back to the porch. He will bark from the window now and doesn't want outside when they are near!! He just tells them off from the safety of the house!!
















I saw this van at Walmart. It's not the best shot since I didn't want to be too obvious that I was taking their picture. That van loaded down like that really caught my eye! They have all those coolers and stuff on top and the back was as full as they could pack it. That is several jugs of orange juice sitting inside the sliding door. I am assuming that they were going to a houseboat or a cottage maybe they had rented and were just stocking up on provisions! It's unusual to see a person on top of a van like that! But the guy is wearing a blue shirt and you can see the white lid of the cooler up. Reminded me of the Hillbillies when I first saw it!! That date is bad wrong on the picture. I must set that camera with the right date. I took that picture about a month ago or so.

19 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

It's a wonder that poor van didn't collapse with all that stuff loaded on it!
Sounds like you have a very good watchdog!

6:56 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

Having just come home from down Kentucky way, we did notice they were cutting the early tobacco, glad it was them and not me...lol!
I just wanted to stop by and thank you for coming by my blog this week!
Pup is a cutie btw!!
:-D
PS...also from looking at your previous posting about Ky Hot Brown...I've never had any but my Mom said it is great and it looks great...I may need to look a recipe and try that!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
How many people were they able to get that van? Doesn't look like there would be room for anybody except the driver.
Ralph

12:42 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Pup sure is cute, and SO tough!!

The Kentucky Hillbillies! That van is WAY overloaded.

I sure enjoyed the photos in the previous posts!!

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel,
I like seeing pictures of crops that are foreign to me. You just see miles and miles of the same thing up here. Very interesting.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I can't believe the van is loaded up so high. That looks like an accident waiting to happen to me.

That tobacco looks so pretty growing and then cut on sticks. I've never seen one of those curing thingys that is so long. I've seen a couple of rows of shorter ones. It sure beats climbing up high into the barn and standing on a very thin rails (2 1/2 inches wide) and 35 feet in the air.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Jimmy walked in to look at the tobacco and I forgot to mention how cute PUP is. PUP is very smart...he only has to hear a loud noise once and he's off to safer ground.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

You've been TAGGED!
Name 5 weird pet tricks/characteristics and then pick 5 friends who have pets to play along.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Interesting how the tobacco is cured. I didn't know it needed to be.
Do you know if any chemicals are used on tobacco at any time? Just wondering if that may have something to do with cancer...

9:00 PM  
Blogger David said...

I so do not understand why we have not outlawed the manufacture of tobacco. We know full well what it does to people.

Van looks like it could be heading to a tail-gate party at a football game????

5:51 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I love when you write about things there in Kentucky that I never get to see here in this Urban Mass of a Mess...(lol)..The tobacco is amazing, isn't it?

LOVE your Pup...he is so adorable....and it sounds like he is a very good watch dog, too...well, at least with the Garbage Men, he is...

That Van looks like it might not make it over a bumpy road..it looks so low slung with all that syff inside plus the people!(lol)

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! that van was surely loaded. Surprisingly it's still standing.
Good post.
Thanks for passing by.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

It looks like those people with the van are wearing shoes. That would make them visitors, not natives.

Pup sure is a cute and prissy dog. He'd best hide while he is watch-dogging because he just doesn't look a bit ferocious even though his bark is scary.
He is looking like a little kid sitting back there. I think he likes to ride.
[Adi has him beat for ears flapping.]

11:30 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

When Marilyn is driving, I like to stick my head out the window and let my tongue flap in the breeze too.
The two guys near the van are both young. I think this had something to do with beer.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Chickie said...

Your Pup lives the good life!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

Cool pictures!
Pup is so cute!
Hahaha at the van. The guy standing at the back looks like he is trying to figure something out..
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Cool Raggedy one

1:54 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Mountain Mama- I think the only chemicals are sprays they use to kill suckers and maybe for tobacco worms. I think the real killer with tobacco is the tobacco itself.
Yes it must be cured and then the leaves are stripped off the stalks and baled and then it goes to market.

Okay Jim - I WEAR SHOES!!!

The van isn't buying booze. We are a dry county here. They probably brought it in the coolers on top and bought ice here. They were stocking up on groceries! I saw at least 5 gallon jugs of orange juice!

Cliff, I hope no one sees you when you let your tongue blow in the breeze! Might be a little embarrassing, especially for poor Marilyn! Pup doesn't hang his tongue out. He just partly closes his eyes and lets the wind hit him in the face!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Ava said...

Oh my goodness, Pup is SO cute!!!!

Love the picture of the van. Isn't traveling fun??? Not!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Wild Thing said...

I just adore the photo of Pup.

And the photo of the van is so funny, I can see why you took a photo of it. A person just does not see that kind of thing every day.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter