Friday, September 22, 2006

The Giant Mushroom........

We have had rain today. It was a nice day for staying in and being generally lazy. Since I was up quite late last night then that was easy for me to do. Now there is a nice breeze blowing but it's not really cool, but it feels great. I have just been sitting out on the front porch for a little while as the light turned to dark and it was very pleasant.

The past couple of days have been cooler and I did some walking, which is always a good thing!

I came across this mushroom in the woods and it is the biggest one I have ever seen. When I first saw it I thought, "What in the world is that?? A white basketball, a white helmet???" Then as I got closer I realized it was a mushroom. Naturally I had to take a picture but I did not have my digital camera with me and normally I always have it with me. Isn't that how it always goes?? So I went back yesterday and took the pictures below.

















I took my shoe off to help show the size and believe me I do have big feet. Those are size ......well let's just say that I have BIG feet, okay??? Alright all ready.......those are size 11. Usually I wear a 10 but sometimes a 10 hurts my big toe, so I got 11's so I can wear my thick socks and have nice comfy feet while walking. Now are you satisfied??

Anyway, getting back to the mushroom....I was just amazed by the size of this one. It was the only one all alone there in the woods. Later I ran into a park ranger and in talking with him I mentioned it to him. He said that once he was out working in the woods and he saw 3 of them. From a distance he thought they were debris and he went to get them and they were 3 big puff mushrooms. Very interesting for me to find this one. I probably would have thought the aliens had landed for sure if there would have been 3 of them!

17 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

That mushroom is beyond huge! It must really love the soil in which it's planted!

7:00 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

WOW! Is it of the poison variety, or can you consume this one? If it is edible, looks as if you can feed a small 3rd world country with it! As for your shoe size, Rachel, as long as you are comfy, well, don't worry about size! If you want to tell everyone your feet are smaller, go to the men's dept, you try on 2 sizes smaller, and poof! they fit.

4:27 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

WOW!!! That certainly is a BIG BIG mushroom. It's even bigger than your BIG size 11's...now, that's hard to beleive. *ROFLMAO*

Rachel...I have never seen a mushroom that big and if I had run across it, I probably would have thought it was a bright white skull or something...an alien skull because even our heads aren't as big as your size 11's. (giggle)

11:29 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

That is an especially big mushroom.
Size 11 shoe, huh? Well, I'm sure those large feet make you have superb balance. :)
We are getting a ton of rain today (Saturday). It has been very dark and cloudy and VERY rainy all day.
It's a great day for blogging!!

Have a nice weekend, Rachel.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

WOW! WOW! You do have shoes, at least one! Our sister-in-law from Northern Tennessee doesn't wear them hardly ever.
I'd love to tell you that mushroom escaped from Texas, the truth is I haven't seen one that big here yet.
We hope you picked it to brew up some real mean tea.
..

1:38 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Oh my gosh, that one mushroom alone could feed an army! lol I don't think I've ever seen such a huge one! I was thinking alien too when I saw it! lol Hugs

3:41 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

that's Papa Smurfs house...lol!!
:-D

5:34 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

It that mushroom edible?

9:56 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

WOW! That is unbelievable...I think it looks like it's from another planet, my dear...I mean, I have never ever seen a mushroo that huge!!! Don't you wonder what made it grow that big?

12:16 AM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Wow! What a big mushroom! Just amazing!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Holy cow! I've never seen a mushroom that big.

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That there is a big 'shroom!!!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Hi Rachel!!
When I first saw the shoe, I was afraid the mushroom had eaten the other one.
11's eh. That's quite a set of gunboats yer wearin there Rachel.
Just kidding. kind of. Better keep moving or you'll kill the grass. :)
Okay, I'll quit.
I like the sign down yonder. I'd never seen the last part for the ladies.
Well, I'm back and I want to thank you for keeping an eye on things.
We didn't make it out your way but will one day.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

That is a giant puffball mushroom and according to a Google search it is considered edible. I would be absolutely certain before trying it though. You don't want to end up like Alice in Wonderland!

8:13 PM  
Blogger PinkCat said...

Wow that is a truly brilliant mushroom.

Once when my Mums dog was alive we took him for a walk near a place called Seven Sisters in East Sussex. Bob (the dog) found a mushroom and he started attacking it. He was running around like a mad dog. It was so funny. Your mushroom reminded me of that. Poor old Bob. I miss him.

Take care Rachel xx

10:37 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Rachel. That is definitely the biggest mushroom I've ever seen. I wouldn't give up that alien idea too soon if I were you :-)

2:35 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
I was out the other night and came across a large mushroom as well. I had to just stand there and look at it. But, it was nearly as large as the one you found.
Ralph

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter