Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Mother Nature Confused?

I trust everyone had a great Christmas. Ours was pretty low key here. It never really seems like Christmas to me much anymore. Santa did take time out to stop by, which just goes to show all of you that I was good this year!! I got a nice red pair of house shoes and they are high topped and very warm. They even keep your ankles and feet warm with no socks. Very nice, as I hate having cold feet. He also brought me some more items; a nice big jewelry box, some of that nice bath/soap/body spray items that we women folk like to indulge in sometimes (and maybe some of you men folk too), gift cards, a beautiful flower arrangement, and some various other items. Yeah, I was good this year, no doubt about it.

Our weather has been super mild. We had lots of rain during Christmas. No white one for us.


You can see from this picture that my dahlia bulbs are popping up. Some folks have daffodils and tulips popping up through their mulch. Some buds are flowering on maple twigs. I also have blooms on my vinca vine. The last two weeks have been more like March than December. Doing a little research on our weather I found out that on January 24, 1963 the official temperature was recorded at 28 below zero. A new record was set more recently on January 19, 1994 when it was 32 below zero! That's the coldest ever recorded for our county! In January 1977, and January 1978, the lake was frozen over solid due to sustained long periods of cold weather with temps around zero.

I'm sure eventually we'll get some more of that cold weather. For now I'm enjoying it being not quite that cold!

13 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Anything like those temps is sure gonna burn the tops of your dahlia bulbs Rachel,
glad to hear bein' good paid off for you.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Sorry my animated moose was not very animated when you visited my blog. If you click on him it will show you him animated.

The wood pile you saw is just a fraction of it. About a quarter of my basement is piled with wood. It takes a lot of wood to keep two woodstoves fed to heat this large house.

Doing wood here is an art form that I am not very good at. I was not born to it. It remains a form of meditation for me, the Zen of Wood.

5:04 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds like you got some LOVELY goodies from Santa, my dear Rachel...You have been a very very GOOD Girl! (lol)
Those house shoes sound toasty warm...like you, I hate for my feet to be cold!
The weather is really strange, isn't it? Those statistics Rachel are very scary! 32 below???? HELP!!!! I'm glad you are enjoying the warmer weather right now, too!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Our Christmas was low key too. It was just the four of us, and we had a rainy Christmas Eve and Christmas too.
I'm glad there were NO lumps of coal for YOU!!!
You are a such a sweetie, that I had no doubt that Santa would be good to you.
I hope you plan on ringing in the New Year with some truffles.
Happy Holidays!!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I like the sign.(((SMILE))))
Yes it sounds like you were a very good girl.I hate cold feet too so your slippers sound wonderful.
We don't have any sign of spring yet, but then the first day of winter was officially just about a week ago. I have over 250 flower bulbs to plant. Mostly tulips. After the first of the year I hope to get started on that project. It will be very cold work, but at least I won't have to fight the snakes to do it as they are all hibernating now. At least the smart ones are, the others are most likely frozen to death.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Santa brought me warm slippers for my tootsies too! Sounds like you were very good this year!
:)

9:50 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Dearest Rachel....wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas! I know I'm a few days late but I'm just now catching up with everybody:-) Sounds like you were a very good girl this year..Santa brought you some lovely goodies!! It was also a green Christmas over here, which is VERY unusual in these parts. Just seems so funny to look out the window and remember that it's the end of December...seems more like March! Much love xoxo

11:03 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
Sounds like you had a great Christmas. Want a change in the weather - move to Colorado! I am very unhappy with our weather at the present time!
Ralph

12:44 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

Rachel, Christmas here ws nice and chatoic here! We must have been very very good, because our house has been taken over by the Christmas bug! I agree with you, we are having a warm weather spurt here too in NY andmore specifically, Long Island, and we are going to take it for as long as Mother Nature intends to keep it here. I too can do without cold feet and also without cold noses!

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got lots of cool loot for Christmas and great weather as well..

7:54 PM  
Blogger Kendra Lynn said...

Wow...those facts are amazing! My kids were disappointed that there was no snow, but they quickly got over that when they saw the gifts under the tree.

Wanted you to know that if you go to the archives on my site, go to March 2006 and you will be able to listen to three more songs.

Thanks for all the great comments.'
Kendra

8:38 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

My last comment disappeared. (or maybe Rachel censored it) anyway:
Rachel, I'm glad you were able to fool Santa again.
Also, if someone told me they could see my 'vinca', I'd pull my coat down in the back.

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have the buttercup weeds growing in the yard. Weird, huh?

Hope you have a Great New Year!

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter