Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Decorating and Basket Making

I have been busy lately trying to finish up the last of my Christmas things. Trips to the post office, wrapping some gifts, etc. I actually did some decorating, which is unusual for me. Last Sunday afternoon the women's group had their annual Christmas home tour. I was given a free pass so I went to 5 of the 6 homes that were open. I always try to go, free pass or not!! I love going to the home tour! One was farther out and I did not go to it. Of course they were all beautifully decorated for the holidays and so it kind of got me into the spirit of it. I purchased some wreaths and put out on the porch railings which makes it look more festive. I decorated inside some as well and put up one of those smaller fiber optic trees. It is relaxing to turn out all the lights and just watch it as it changes colors! As you can see I had a helper (not really any help though) when I was putting up some garland. I had just gotten it out of the package and it all landed on Pup who was just laying there minding his own business! He didn't mind being covered in garland at all.
Then yesterday I finished up my egg basket. It was lots of work but it is so pretty!! Each basket I make is a learning experience for me. This one has not been dyed yet. We also spent some time yesterday (my neighbor and I) dyeing some reed to have on hand to decorate future baskets we make. We dyed some reed green and some red. We had a pot of walnut stain, a pot of red dye, and a pot of green dye all simmering on the stove! My reed is in the basement drying now. That will really pretty up the baskets! Stay tuned!
















This picture was taken looking over the end of our porch when we had that snowy day last week. It was pretty on the trees but looks really cold looking down at the lake and the houseboats below. It has warmed back up nicely now to the 60's. More like it!!!

10 Comments:

Blogger TJ said...

I've been doing some of the same things as you this week...almost, but not quite too busy to blog...hehe!!
Lovely snow picture!!
:-D

12:50 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Rachel...All I can say is WOW!!! after looking at your baskets and I can't wait to see them dyed. Have you decided what colors you are going to use yet?

Thank you very much for the SURPRISES you sent us. I put up the pictures on my blog today. We felt like young children tearing into our package today...You would have thought it was Christmas Day! Thank you. You are SO sweet and thoughtful.

Love you,
Sandy & Jimmy

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute picture. You've certainly been busy, Rachel. It may hit 80 here on Saturday - weird, huh.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

I just love going to those home tours and usually my mom and I go every year but this year we had to miss it due to other obligations that day. I love getting new ideas from the way other people decorate:-) Oh, Rachel, I just love your basket!! You are so talented, it's hard to believe you've only just started learning how to make them!! It's been raining here all day and our snow is now pretty much all gone:-( Sigh! Hugs xox

2:00 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I think the baskets are neat and I too like the red green show and have also nearly died watching it.
No, really, I love the baskets and envy your view. Well, not the snow part.
Back in my 'drinkin' days I used to do some of those 'home' tours. If I remember right it always made folks really mad to have me go thru the house.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, such a cute puppy!
Pretty snow photo.
I just read your profile; this was the first time I noticed the very creative band names (I'm chuckling thank you!) you came up with even though I thought I read your profile a while back.

12:15 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I love that picture of the snow and the trees and the lake....it really captures the feel of cold and winter bleekness...Beautiful, Rachel....
Your Basket looks fabulous, even not dyed...So neat!
I've been busy with Cards and shopping for Christmas on the Net...Soon I must start "wrapping"...I'm exhausted, but it is fun!

3:16 AM  
Blogger Miki said...

love your basket! Whether it is dyed or not! Glad that you found this hobby, it looks like fun, and you are really good at it, Rachel! Hope your holiday decorating goes well!

4:04 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Rachel,
Your talent at making baskets is amazing. They would be beautiful in any color you chose.
Busy is the word I keep hearing out here in blogland. It's just that time of year...
:)

2:40 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

Today is Friday the 15th and I just thought I would drop back by today to say~
Have a great day!!
Love & Hugs,
Tammy
:-D

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter