Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ale-8-One, Made in KY

Maybe you have drank an Ale-8-One before or maybe not. Personally I have not ever been a big fan of this soft drink but some folks love it. I have a friend that moved to Florida for several years and she couldn't buy it down there. Sometimes I would mail her some, which seemed to thrill her to no end!! She moved back to KY several years ago so now she can buy it any time she has a craving for it.

Ale-8-One, the soft drink unique to Kentucky, has been bottled in Winchester since 1926.

Still a closely guarded family secret, the Ale-8-One formula was developed by G.L. Wainscott in the 1920's after experimentation with ginger-blended recipes he acquired during extensive travels in Northern Europe. He sponsored one of America's first "name the product" contests, and "A Late One" was the winning entry. The drink's logo, Ale-8-One, was adopted as a pun of its description as the latest thing in soft drinks. (yeah, I got this info off their web site.)
I decided to buy a 6 pack not long ago. I have to say that only one is gone so far. So no big fans here.
One night I was going through my purse and counting my $$$ and I noticed that one of the $1 dollar bills had something stamped on it. It said, "Track George at www.wheresgeorge.com "
I had never seen this before so I went to the site and registered and then I put the serial # in of the bill and it brought up one entry. It was posted back around Thanksgiving and the person that had the bill then was posting from Frankfort, KY and they said they were going to Lexington to shop the next day and would spend it there. In the meantime it made it to me here in Somerset! I had gotten it back in change but I'm not sure from where. I know most people probably wouldn't have noticed it, and I wouldn't have either if I hadn't of been just counting my money and putting it in order, $20's to the back, then $10's, then $5's, etc. I thought that was interesting. Anyone ever see that before on any of your $$$??

15 Comments:

Blogger Karen H. said...

Good Evening Rachel,
I have never heard of the Ale-8-One before. I guess they only sell that in Kentucky. Do they have them in the decaf kind? I only drink diet decaf soda's. Wow, I have never seen that website on a dollar bill before either. Well, let's just say I've never looked at the dollar that close. I do my bills like you do, 20, 10, 5, and ones. I don't know why I do that, but I have been doing that as long as I can remember. Did yall get any Snow or Ice over the weekend or today? We got nothing here where I live at. They are saying we have another chance for Friday. I doubt we will tho. I have been thru Frankfort, KY before with my DH out in the truck. We stopped at a Pilot there and spent the night. It is some pretty country thru there. Take care my friend and have a great evening. May God Bless You and Yours.

Love & Hugs,
Karen H.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Ale-8-One? Nope, I haven't heard of it but if I ever see any, I'll try it.

Yes, my granddaugher Jasmine and I found a dollar bill with that email address. We went there and read about our dollar and then posted how it came to us. I'm not sure, but I think we checked later and found another entry or two about our bill. We thought it was great.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Never heard of the drink, but the website for tracking money I have heard of. I got a dollar bill in some change a couple of years ago with the "where's George?" stamp on it and went to the website and entered my information. I got one email tracking it but that was the last I heard of it.

Hugs,

Diane

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard of the drink before, either. I did get one of those dollar bills with that printed on it and went to the website and tracked mine. I haven't checked in a long time to see where it has been. I don't even remember what email I used to check on it. I'll have to go through my paperwork and see if I can find it. It has been a few years so it may even be out of circulation by now.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Not surprisingly I've never heard of either>

5:54 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I have never heard of Ale-8-One or the George thing either. Interesting. Now I have to go look at my money.

11:22 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Rachel,


I have never heard of the $$$ tracking thing...but any $$$ I have gets gone so quick I probably wouldn't notice anything written on it! :)

Have never heard of that drink either.


Junie

2:00 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Let me be the first to say that I like Ale-8-One, but I never buy it because Jimmy doesn't like it. He says it tastes like 'stump water.' I of course asked him how he knew how stump water tasted and he said he just imagined it tasted like stump water.

I've never seen 'wheresgeorge.com' on my money. Mine usually just has that blue dye on it...and no I didn't rob a bank.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

That Where's George thing is neat. My kids were into it for awhlle back a couple of years ago, so I know it's been around for quite some time now. It's a fun idea, I think. Our money sure does get around!!

I've never heard of that KY soft drink. How neat! I wish I'd bought some when I was there. I'll be sure to try some next time I'm in KY.
When I was in NC, I had a soft drink called Cheer Wine. It tasted kind of like Dr. Pepper. I'd never heard of it before, and they even served it at the local fast food places.
I like these kinds of interesting tidbits from various parts of the country. It makes each place unique.

I hope you're keeping warm. It's been pretty cold here lately, though not as cold as it's been at Cliff's farm. I'd DIE if I lived there!! Keith and I lived in SD for the first year & a half of our marriage. What a shock that was!! I'd never in my life seen snow and cold like that before. I nearly froze to death!!!! Thank the Good Lord that my hubby doesn't like cold or snow either.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Rachel -- I've not heard of Ale-8-One before either. But next time I'm near Kentucky I will try it. At least once a year, I'll try to remember to ask my sister-in-law about it.

There are other things on dollar bills too, here are a few. But this is just a drop in the bucket.
http://www.fundistraction.com/2007/11/things-people-write-on-dollar-bills.html
..

10:28 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Nope, never heard of it Rachel. Might as well load it up and bring it to BS so us midwesterners can try it.
We are at 24 degrees right now and I must say it's been a long time since we got that high. I am giddy.
We're supposed to hit the mid 40's on Sunday so I'll either dust off the clubs or find my bikini. Oh , never mind. If I wore a bikini you wouldn't be able to see it anyway so I'll just go golfing.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Never seen the where George thing but it interesting about the money. In the morning I do the exact same things 20's (if I have any) in the back, 10's 5's and ones. Generally by the end of each day it all messed up.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so this pop taste like beer? I hear alot of the energy drink do too.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

I am registered and have found one of my dollars listed that a person in texas got. my money travels more than me LOL

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ale-8-One is absolutely fabulous IF it is drank very cold. I've been drinking it since I was 4 years old. In hot Kentucky summers it was always a treat. Perhaps an acquired taste.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter