Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Are You Tired of Cake??

Here is another cake for your viewing pleasure. No, I didn't make it. My nephew's wife did. Told you all she was talented at this. I think this snowman is so cute! I think she made this one in January.


It's amazing what they can do with cakes these days. There are so many tools, pans, and gadgets you can get. You can use fondant or make gumpaste flowers, and it just goes on and on as to how creative you want to be. Lots of work though. LOTS!
When I was a kid we never had fancy cakes like this. We had cake at times and it seemed my Mom could find something delicious to fix when there was nothing in the house to eat. She used to bake up soft cake-like cookies for us sometimes and they were so good. We didn't have treats all the time like we do now, so I guess that made them all the more special. Later on I remember this man came around and he had the back of his pickup truck loaded with cakes of all sorts. My Dad would buy a few off him and that was another treat. I have no idea where he got them. Maybe they were out of date or something, but if so, we couldn't tell the difference. He came around every now and then and my mouth started watering when I saw his truck turn up our lane. I was hoping that bed of his pickup would be full of cakes!
Today was so nice and warm....well warmer I should say. It was in the 50's and tomorrow will be in the 60's. It sure felt good after that cold weather we had over the weekend. It's feeling more like spring all the time. I hope it's warm in your neck of the woods too!

9 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

I love the snowman cake!!!!

10:31 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Rachel, that snowman cake looks wonderful....Can you eat the scarf?

When I was a little girl, my brother was a boy scout. They were have this blue and gold banquet and the participants were to make a cake depicting what made Houston the city it was. There were all kinds of cake, some with a space ship, depicting NASA and many other things. The judges picked a cake that depicted the ship channel as the winning cake. With out our ship channel, we would not be so grand, so that cake won... ... This is the first time I can remember a cake being such a big deal...Funny how that just came back to my mind.

5:26 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

That cake is really cute! But it's soo cute I would hate to cut it and eat it ! :)

Hope spring is on the way for you there. I think (hope) our real cold weather is over for this time! I'm ready for the end of cold!!


Junie

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a darling cake. Cake was always a big deal when I was a kid.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Sometime those cakes, like the one in your post, are so good looking you almost (key word - almost) feel guilty about eating them.
Ralph

1:32 PM  
Blogger 4evergapeach said...

The cake is darling! She did a wonderful job. I have never worked with fondant icing. Looks like too much trouble. My LARGE rubbermaid container is overflowing with cake pans.
It finally is warming up here. Tomorrow may even reach 60! WhooHoo!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Thanks for the memories again Rachel. The cake is nice. Cute.
I'm fearful Marilyn might shoot someone who came around selling cakes on a regular basis.

4:17 AM  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

I love the snowman cake too. Hope they ate it before it melted. LOL
I worked in my yard yesterday and that's where I will be today. It's going to be in the 60's today and 70's tomorrow. WHOOOOO---HOOOOOOO!

6:01 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

The snowman cake is so cute. Your niece is so talented.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter