Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Results

I got up early this morning and went to Kroger (grocery store pharmacy) for a free cholesterol screening. Of course they do your weight and your BMI (Body Mass Index), your body fat, and all that good stuff! I'm happy to report that my cholesterol was 129. Whoo-hoo!! That's great! However, my fasting glucose was 108 and they like it to be below 100. She said I needed to exercise to lower it. Okay.

Next my HDL (good cholesterol) was 37 and they like it to be higher than 50. Okay.
She said I needed to exercise to raise it higher.

Point taken. I certainly do not want diabetes, and they consider a 108 glucose to be "pre-diabetic" these days. Also my mother was diabetic.

My Triglycerides were great, the total cholesterol was great, and the LDL (bad cholesterol) was great.

It's been raining hit and miss here and there, to and fro and hither and yon, but we haven't had any right here today. I got the lawn mowed and I used the push mower a lot. I was so sweaty and my hair was dripping. (I considered that exercise!) Wonder if that got those numbers moving in the right direction?!

This pretty rose is from a rose that we have growing in the yard. It sure is a pretty color and I love how this one has some rain drops on it. I don't know the name of it though. You can click on it to enlarge it.












Fall of the year and time for Mums again. I think Mums are so pretty. I always have a hard time deciding on what color to get, but you can't go wrong with yellow, in my opinion!
At one time I had some huge ones in the flower garden, but over time they died out. I'll probably set these out and see if they come back next year.


I hope everyone is having a wonderful week!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Hi Rachel, I love mums, too, and your rose is just beautiful. Mine are doing better right now than the whole summer. I guess it is all the rain. I am sick to death of it. Makes me think winter is just around the corner! It is raining here as I write this. I am glad your cholesterol was good. I need to have mine checked, too. My yard needs mowing so bad but it is so wet here.

5:19 AM  
Blogger possum said...

You can stop by my place anytime you want for all kinds of exercise! Grass mowing, weed pulling, branch trimming, cucumber picking, tomato picking, more weed pulling... well, I bet you have the idea!
Beautiful pics! LOVE that rose!

6:07 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Yep, I'm trying to exercise an hour a day. It's work but it does keep the numbers in line.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

My HDL finally got to 44 (after 6 years) and this time it was back to 33. We are trying to reach 50 also. So my doctor is now trying to raise my LDL which got too low in order to bring up my HDL. I can't exercise until my knee is healed!!!!!! Kids these days speak in codes of BFF and JK and LOL,etc. while most adults speak in terms of EKG, MRI, LDL, HDL........

4:46 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

It sounds like you are in good shape Rachel... Keep up the good work and get your exercise...lol. Using that push mower was a good idea...

Beautiful rose and I love mums...It is a sign of fall and fall is my favorite season.

5:12 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I never know what all the numbers you mention are and what they mean. I guess I need to asked the doctor next time. He just says if my colesterol is OK or not.

I am always concerned for diabetes as my mother suffered from it and there is an inherited element. So far I am OK inspite of being a little over wieght. Tyroid problems run in our family too. I have dodged that bullet too.

I would call the rose's colour, mauve. It is lovely, well shaped and so fresh looking with the water drops on it.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Yup, I'd say pushing a lawmower is excersise enough! lol I need to go for one of those cholesterol screenings soon, as well as have my BP checked. Glad to hear your cholesterol was good:-)

I love mums as well and want to go buy a couple of plants to put out on my deck at the front of the house. When I go out later today to run some errands I'll have to go look and see what they have available. Like you, I always have a hard time deciding which colours I want:-)

Your rose is absolutely beautiful and I agree, what a gorgeous colour!

Have a wonderful weekend dear Rachel. xoxo

10:22 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

I am glad your numbers are good. You are doing good! That is what my doctor told me today as he wrote out a new prescription.

Probably those pretty flowers you grow are keeping your blood pressure down. Don't eat those kind though, they can make your glucose go up.

My heart doctor told me to walk at least two miles a day. That is about the umteenth time a doctor has said to do that. Do you think they are getting the right hint?
..

8:33 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I CLICKED on that Beautiful Rose and got some horror-show message that GOOGLE Couldn't find that page...UGH UGH UGH! Blogger...AND, Mercury Retrograde....! (lol)
That is a Perfect Picture, dear Rachel.

12:38 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Rachel,
It sounds like you're doing the right things to get the numbers in line.
i've always been lucky that my cholesterol is good. The last time I got mine checked they doctors office called to tell me the numbers were good and I should just keep doing what ever I was doing. I was having mac and cheese and a diet soda for lunch, so I'm guessing they didn't mean exactly that minute!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

You are doing good Rachel. Keep it up! I joined Silver Sneakers at the YMCA. In case you don't know, that is an exercise class geared for "older folks like me." I go three times a week. I am a diabetic but so far I haven't had to go on a pill. I do have to take a pill for my cholesterol. As long as I can keep moving, I feel lucky!

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter