Monday, January 04, 2010

CLOSE THE FREEZER DOOR!!!

Okay, whoever has the freezer door open, would you please close it?? It's doggone cold. Us folks in this neck of the woods aren't used to it being this chilly at this particular time of the year. It's not supposed to get above freezing until next Monday.


What happened to global warming??


Yeah, I know that most people are feeling this cold weather and I have no need to complain. I'm not really complaining, I'm just telling about our cold weather! The good thing is that when it goes above freezing it'll feel like a heat wave to us.


When watching the weather channel they always seem to mention International Falls, MN as being the coldest spot. I wouldn't mind visiting there, but not during the winter!


This morning we had a covering of light snow and it flurried most of the morning, but the snow doesn't stick around. I have been spending some time laying on the sofa enjoying watching the snow flurries outside and trying to find something to watch on TV. With 76 channels you would think it'd be easy....but it just isn't so. Some people might find it easy to find things to watch, but that's not the case with me.



Maybe it's those alien spaceships making it colder?? Haha! This cloud sure reminded me of one.















Today I took my car to be checked to make sure that it had enough antifreeze in it. I don't recall when it was last checked. They told me it needed the radiator flushed out. They didn't do that there so I took it to Valvoline and had it done. He said I am good now to -34 degrees. If it were to get that cold here then we'd all be in trouble! Everything would be froze up around here.


I hope everyone is having a good year so far and keeping warm! I think Munchie has the right idea! She stays inside more than usual. She went out today and in about 10 minutes I looked out and she had a mouse caught and was playing with it on the driveway. Don't know where she caught it at, but she is a good mouser.


18 Comments:

Blogger Gattina said...

I noticed that since Global Warming became a problem, it is cold in winter and warm in summer in Belgium. Before it rained the whole year or cold or warm, lol !

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Linda in Erie said...

Good and cold here, too. Lake effect snow ruins the day again. I love your cat!

11:54 PM  
Blogger Farmgirl Cyn said...

Living in Michigan where the past few winters have brought more snow and cold weather than I can remember, I have come to believe that global warming is not all it has been cracked up to be! We certainly are NOT feeling it here!
Keep warm, Rachel...spring is just around the proverbial corner!

3:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about finding something on t.v. I did watch a good movie on Lifetime last night but I get bored to death when I have to stay in the house like this. I am going to be big as the house from eating everything in sight, too. We still have the weekend and more snow to look coming!

4:09 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

Is that a genuine cloud photo or photo shopped? Wow!

Yes Rachel, you and I sound alike -- a couple of winter wooses.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Heyyyy, if I have to have snow and frigid temps, then so do you!!!! hehe It's only fair, right? lol It went down to -6F (colder with the windchill) but today it's a "balmy" 10F:-) All the cars here have to have block heaters...in case you don't know what those are, I found this online:

A block heater is an electric heater that heats the engine of a car to ease starting in cold weather. They are connected to normal AC power overnight or before driving, via regular power plugs that are fed through a vehicle's grille. This allows easier starting in cold temperatures, by keeping the coolant warm. Heaters are also available for motor oil so that warm oil can quickly circulate and warm the engine during startup. The rapid heat circulation caused by block heaters also aids the initial vaporization of fuel in the engine; because of this effect, block heaters reduce pollution, as poor fuel vaporization causes much higher emissions.

Without those, we'd never be able to start up our cars during the winters we have here.

That's quite the cloud you got a picture of...sure does look like a spaceship!!!

Keep warm:-) xoxo

8:49 AM  
Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

It's cold here too, Rachel. We're supposed to have snow on Wed. and Thurs. The high for Thur. is 14F and the low for that night is -2F. Brrrr!!!!

Munchie has the right idea. Y'all stay warm! :o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

4:15 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Try and stay warm Rachel. It's cold here as well but not as bad as other parts of the country.
That cloud picture is great.
Happy New Year back at ya.
Ralph

5:04 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Yeah Rachel, I'm for warmer weather. Let's geter done.
Happy New Year to you too.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Rachel, yes that Munchie does have the right idea. Only you let her in too early, she wasn't done playing with mouse she brought you.

My therory on global warming is that when we have the hotter weather it will be followed by colder weather too. The yearly temperature swings are getting bigger in differences.
We may all freeze to death before we burn or are indunated with melted polar ice.

Next time you see Mr. Gore at the mall ask him about that. He's been pretty quiet lately around here.
..

9:31 AM  
Blogger Doug Bagley said...

All I know is I'm living in Central Florida and we're down in the 20s and 30s at night. What's up with that? I'm dying, lol!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I can tell you where the heat is Rachel... its HERE in OZ, as for feeling like a heat wave if the temp gets above freezing... I've never been able to notice the difference between - 1 and + 1 degree!!!
Hope you survive your cold spell.

4:32 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Rachel ~ That's no alien... it the Snowman and he's stuck over my house! Hope you had a nice Christmas and New Year! ~ jb///

5:46 AM  
Blogger Janell said...

Hi Rachel! How's the job market in your neck of the woods. Husband and I are ready to move out of this snow-zone to one that's more human-friendly. Just getting above zero has been a challenge this year.

Munchie is adorable.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Ileana said...

Munchie has the right idea! lol Cute picture!!

It's chillier than EVER here in South Florida and we are totally unprepared for this. I'm making hot chocolate tonight and sleeping with five blankets over me...again! Brrr!!

Stay warm with Munchie!

8:38 PM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Hi dear Rachel,
I am so glad with your visit and greetings!
I wish to you and your loved ones a Happy New Year and all the best too.

Sounds you have a weather very cold indeed!

Many hugs,
Sonia.

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:29 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I am glad you are weathering the colder weather well. Some blogging friends are really suffering living in housing not made for it, or, as in Britain, living where they have neither the equipment or plan to efficiently clear the roads.

I am sure International Falls gets very cold. In Canada I always find the temperature reports from Baker Lake in the North West Territory the coldest.

It was cold here last night at -22C but there is a warm spell coming with it going up to -2C on Thursday which will be a nice relief from all the effort to keep warm. I guess that will be the closest we will get to a January Thaw. Normally, we are never supposed to get Winter rain here as they do in Toronto to the south but occasionally we do. Could that be a bit of Global warming.

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter