Sunday, January 24, 2010

Rainy Sunday

We have had a deluge of rain overnight and today. I'm not sure how much we got but it's been a lot. Here is a photo I took today. You can see the water here is level with the road almost. This was taken on a road a couple of miles from where we live.



















When I was a kid I loved to go horseback riding after it rained. It was so much fun to go splashing through the fields, and even more fun to find a small creek and have the horse jump it. It seemed like the horse was always frisky and feeling good after a rain too, and enjoyed the splashing. That part might have just been my imagination though! :)


************************************************
One summer evening during a violent thunderstorm a mother was tucking her small boy into bed. She was about to turn off the light when he asked with a tremor in his voice, "Mommy, will you sleep with me tonight?" The mother smiled and gave him a reassuring hug.

"I can't dear," she said. "I have to sleep in Daddy's room."

A long silence was broken at last by his shaky little voice:
"The big sissy."
***********************************************



SUNDAY SIGN







12 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

I like your church sign, Rachel. I have never found one I don't like. :)

Minnie was my horse (Dad's of course) when I was growing up. She was the one I rode to high school for two years.
Anyway, when I first started riding her she didn't know how to jump but she learned pretty fast for an old horse.
Just like Mrs. Jim learned to hold on pretty fast when I would jump my motorcycle.

That big sissy, huh? That's good!
Have a nice day and week,
..

4:56 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Wow Rachel. I love that church sign.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

I don't like to ride horses but I can certainly picture my dad enjoying a nice horseback ride splashing through the rain puddles.

I'm a bit of a sissy so I can relate to what the little boy was saying.I'm so happy to have Ron to protect me from things that go bump in the night.

Your church sign says it all.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

We've had a lot of rain, too. Four inches last week, and almost an inch this morning. Very unusual for us! But, nothing about this winter has gone by the book.

4:10 PM  
Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Got our rain on Sat. and Sunday was colder, sunny and windy. Been the same today, only 42 for our high. The National Weather Service just issued a special weather statement about us having snow or freezing rain, etc. starting Thurs. night into Friday and Sat. I sure hope it's more snow than ice. I don't want to go through all that again anytime soon with the ice like we had last January! I think you're supposed to have all snow, thank the Lord.

Love the sign, as usual, Rachel.

Take care and stay warm!

Love and hugs,

Diane

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the sign and the joke is so funny. My girls like to ride in the rain. It has done a little of everything here today. Sun, rain, sleet, snow, wind and blizzard conditions. I am so ready for spring.

11:36 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Rachel ~ This (and the date of your post) made me think maybe they should change the name of that song to "Rainy Days and Sundays Alway Get Me Down?"
I'm hoping that all is well! ~ jb///

11:54 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Cute Joke, my dear...lol....And a great Sunday Sign, too....

It sounds like riding after a rain must be a wonderful thing to do. And I'm sure your right about the Horse being friskier snd happier, too!

2:16 AM  
Blogger Tipper said...

LOL the big sissy! We've had tons of rain too. There are wet weather springs where they've not been in 20 years.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

You sure are getting a lot of rain. I hope it slows down soon or you will be looking for an ark!

I love the "Big Sissy' funny. How cute!

I like the sign too. What a great message!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Ileana said...

Ha! Your joke reminds me of my son. He used to beg me to sleep in his room...that dad is old enough to sleep by himself! lol

That looks like a lot of rain over there. I would love to go horseback riding after a rainstorm. It's been years!

Hope you're having a good weekend, Rachel!!

3:51 PM  
Blogger EV said...

The simple pleasures of rain and childs play; thanx for stirring those memories. That sign is spot on, too, Rachel.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter