Saturday, February 18, 2006

Memories...

It's a little chilly today but not too bad. Tonight it's supposed to go into the teens. I know for folks who live in the colder areas that is probably like a heat wave! We had some snow earlier but not enough to cover the grass good.

I was trying to think of what to blog about. I decided I would share this picture of me when I was a kid. Now I'm not sure what my age was here. If you look close you can see that I had a space between my two front teeth. My brother used to call me "Railroad Spike" and make fun of that space. Yeah, he was a meanie back then. Thankfully he grew out of it!



I have 3 brothers but this one is 4 years older than I am. He used to pick on me quite a bit. When I was a kid I was terrified of bugs. Any bugs. Even moths. Of course we always called them "millers." I don't know how that came to be but that's what we called them. I was pretty old before I knew they were actually moths! Then there was those brown beetle looking bugs that always come around in the summer if you leave the porch light on. He used to catch them and throw them on me. They would always cling to your clothes. I would have a hissy fit of screaming and crying and flapping at the bug trying to get it off. He would just die laughing.

My Dad always told me that if he bothered me for no reason that I could pick up a land seed and kill him with it. Now a land seed is a rock. At least that's what my Dad was referring to. Of course I knew he didn't really want me to 'kill' him, but just defend myself.

I recall one time my brother had an old car and he came driving in the lane. I was riding the pony and had not done one thing to my brother. I wasn't even close to him. He stopped the car and got out and started throwing corncobs at us. I think he was probably trying to get the pony to buck or run off with me, or something like that. I got off the pony and picked up a good sized rock. I meant to throw it at the side of the car and maybe make a dent. Instead it hit the rear window (the one over the trunk area) and it shattered into a zillion pieces. I was shocked and he was too. He stood there with his mouth open a few minutes and then he said, "What'd you throw?" I said, "A big rock!" I got back on the pony and rode off.

My Dad didn't get upset with me. He said that my brother started it (which he did) and so I had only done what he had told me to do!!

20 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

We need some judges today, with your Dad's common sense.
What a great story. I've never heard of a land seed, and those beetles here in Nebraska are called June Bugs.
A space in your teeth probably means your teeth had room to fill in and still be staight.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great memories. I didn't have a brother, but it sounds like you were blessed with yours. I like the way your dad handled things.

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like bugs either. My brother was younger than me so he didn't pick on me much. Hope you are having a very nice weekend!!

4:27 PM  
Blogger EV said...

I love this kind of post! Thanx. Cute picture, too.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Cliff, June bugs are green! These are those beetles that are a lightish brown color and they always come to the lights in the summer.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Rurality said...

You just made me glad I didn't have an older brother, LOL! A little brother was annoying at times but at least he didn't throw bugs at me. :)

6:01 PM  
Blogger 4evergapeach said...

Cute post! And touche' for you! I grew up with 5 younger brothers. We had our moments but we couldn't be closer.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Rachel, Rachel, Rachel! June bugs are brown. (in Nebraska)

5:21 AM  
Blogger Miki said...

I wish that my parents had told me to throw a land seed at my brother, he was perfect in theri eyes, never would he torture his little sister, not even as an adult, right in fromt of them! He needed to have something thrown at him, so as not to stay on that pedistal he was placed on so many years ago! Too bad he never realized that th rules did apply to him. You and your brother worked things out, in a nonsensical kind of way, very nice memory, very cool kids!

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel--That was a nice write up. Nebraska and Texas people don't know what 'land seeds' are, there is just good dirt without rocks. Texas June bugs are brownish yellow.
..

10:40 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Oh, I loved reading this story! I used to throw those same little beetles on my sister when we were kids. She was absolutely terrified of them! My great grandmother used to refer to rocks as land seeds too! How funny!

I hope you're enjoying your weekend. hugs!

11:01 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You stood up to him, and I'm sure it made him think twice about pestering you. I think your picture is adorable, and I love that space between your teeth.
My daughter has one tooth that didn't descend into place, and we call it her fang. She currently wears a retainer to pull it into place. Everyone calls my front teeth Rabbit Teeth because they are big.
I guess teasing people about their teeth is a favorite family pasttime.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

We called them 'millers' too. Maybe it's a regional thing?
..

10:16 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Sometimes Big Brothers can be really mean...I know they think it's fun, but it sure isn't! Glad he grew out of that! (lol).

I love the term 'land seed', by the way..it's so original...I'm going to start using it myself!

1:54 AM  
Blogger David said...

Ah the memories of our childhood years - they never get old. I still like to play with bugs - especially fake cockroaches. You can have so much fun.

Hope you survivied the cold.

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Land seed! Two new words to define something I see every day. I had never heard of a land seed before I read your sweet post. Your photo is great!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Great post. I'll just bet your dad picked his words rather carefully after that.
Ralph

6:58 PM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

I dindn't have a brother, only a twin sister and I remember told my mother that I wanted have a little brother. Love reading memories of childhood years. What a lovely memories, Rachel. Love your photo too!

5:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photo. *SMILE*
Way to go with throwing that rock! So did your brother leave you alone after that?

(I have a sister who is a year older than me, and she was the meanest person I knew when I was growing up! We get along a lot better now. Phew!)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

In Southwestern Virginia those gray moths were 'millers' and the brown beetles were June bugs. Oh, how I hated the June bugs. They would dab around the windows, especially at church (probably the only place that had outside lights bac then. I wasn't a squeamish kid, but those things really bothered me. Fortunately I'm older than my brother, too!

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter