Wednesday, May 10, 2006

My Uncle

This has been another rainy day. That'll make the gardens grow!

I remember one time when I was a kid and we had had a really dry spell. Then one night it started raining a good steady rain. My Dad went in to where my Uncle was sitting and asked him what he was so quiet about. He said, "I'm just sitting here listening to the taters saying, 'move over and give me some room' as they are growing." My Uncle was a nut anyway. He always wore bib overalls and he never buttoned them up. He would roll the legs of them up to about his knees. In the summer those bib overalls all rolled up is all he wore. No shirt and no shoes. He never wore shoes in the summer. I have seen him strike a match on his bare heel, the skin was so thick and hard from going barefoot so much. If he got a splinter in them he just took his pocket knife and cut the whole hunk out. Didn't bother him since that skin was so thick. He used to plow with the mule and go barefoot plowing the fields. He didn't put his shoes back on until it got really cold either. One thing I didn't like was when we would go to see them, many times he would get you on his lap and then rub his stiff beard over your face and it hurt. He called it "bearding us." He thought it was great fun! He would play the harmonica and dance around the room and get us all tickled. My Mom told me he used to feed me when I was a baby. She said he took his dirty fingers and poked food in my mouth and I just loved it and smacked away. When they were weaning me from the bottle he and my Aunt were staying at our house. Mom said that at bedtime I began to whimper for my bottle. Then my Uncle upstairs made a noise like a wild cat. She said I put my head under the covers and never whimpered anymore and forgot all about the bottle!! He was truly one of a kind!!

13 Comments:

Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

That was a wonderful story of your uncle. Just passing by to say hello.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Sounds like he was a real charactor.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I laughed about the "whisker" thing......My dad used to do that to me and I hated it! Enjoy your blog very much...........

6:02 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Your uncle sounded like quite a character and a real hillbilly. As you told the story I could just imagine him talking, plowing, feeding you and screaming like a wildcat. My husband takes his whiskers and tickles our great grandson with them.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

What an interesting guy! I can just picture him in those overalls with no shirt or shoes, dancing a jig.
I have sissy feet. It kills me to walk barefoot outside if there is any kind of rocks or gravel. Inside, I usually wear just socks around the house.

11:49 AM  
Blogger EV said...

What a word picture, Rachel. Thanx. It was fun hearing about Uncle.

3:41 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
He does sound like an interesting guy! I bet he was just fun to be around.
Ralph

11:46 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Uncles are special.

My grandpa used to smear tobacco juice on us kids' checks and then rub his whiskers all over in it.

None of the uncles chewed.
..

12:13 PM  
Blogger PinkCat said...

You tell great stories Rachel. I can just imagine it.

Take care

Catherine xx

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel,
I think everyone would be better off if they had an uncle like that.

Great story!

3:53 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh I LOVE your Uncle. He sounds like such an individual..such a very interesting man. I know some would call him a "character", but he sure sound quite wonderful to me! I love how he scared you out of ever whimpering again for the bottle! (lol)
Did he and your Aunt have children, too? I think you should write more about him, Rachel...he really sounds like a very unique person.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Susie Hovendick Chan said...

And your aunt, too, was unique for putting up with his eccentricities.

12:16 AM  
Blogger SuzieG said...

You're a great story teller! And your Uncle is quite a character... I can visualize him in my head, and it inspires me to sculpt a doll like him in polymer clay. Whiskers, rolled up overalls and bare feet. I'll start working on him right away and send you a picture! Won't he be a hoot!

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter