Thursday, May 25, 2006

Visiting the Graveyard

Earlier this week my sister-in-law and her husband were down from Shelbyville, IN. They always come in around Memorial Day to decorate the graves of their many relatives here. They had to come before M. Day this time since they have grandkids that are graduating this weekend and next up there.

Tuesday I went with them out in the country to the graveyard. It's on the side of a hill. This is the view from there. The man that used to live in the brick home you see in the photo just recently died and his is the newest grave out there. He retired and sold the farm and bought a nice home closer to town. Then he got cancer and died. He was only 64.

My sister-in-law fussed and fussed over the flowers. She is far more pickier than I am. She said, "Do they look okay?" We assured her they looked fine but she would go and fuss with them some more. The gnats were buzzing around me like I was pure honey. They bugged the living daylights out of me, even getting in my eyes. I got a branch with some leaves on it to swat at them. Made me think of the animals that have to endure those pesty things and how they use their tails to continually swipe at them, but their face they don't have anything to swish them away with. Poor things! I was so glad to get back in the car and away from them.

This is the view looking down at the older part of the cemetery. Lots of them only have stones with no names on them. Many are from the 1800's. It was nice to get to ride out in the country though.

11 Comments:

Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

That's a beautiful view looking over the hills of Kentucky. I think Ky is one of the prettiest states with all of its forests and lush greenery...I'm always glad to come home to it.

I'm already seeing baskets of flowers adorning graves nearby...the cemetaries are filled with color and that's nice to know that people still remember their families who have passed on as well as the soldiers who have died fighting in wars, defending our country and its freedoms.

It's nice that your family came down to visit.

7:06 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I love graveyards...There is something so very peaceful about them, isn't there? I sure wouldn't like those gnats though...Not At All! (lol)

8:39 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Rachel. That hill is pretty steep, isn't it.

Going to cemeteries where relatives and ancesters are burried is special. Sometimes educational, but it just about always gets us thinking back to our roots.

Thanks for writing this. I enjoyed hearing of your little jaunt. Guess your company is gone by now.
..

9:41 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Tomorrow I am posting about a post office.

You wrote such a nice article on May 17 about the one you found, maybe you and/or somebody wants to write what they think the one I like may have been through.
..

9:44 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I actually really enjoy walking through cemeteries and reading the headstones. I really enjoy old cemeteries. I have visited several in MO, NC, SC and GA.
There is a really interesting one in Savannah, GA that has so much history in it. I learned about some of the people buried there. It really intrigued me.
Some of my dad's family are in a couple of graveyards in MO. It was neat walking through one of them with my 91 year old great-aunt as she told me about these people, my ancestors.

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love graveyards. I always have. I like to walk through them and imagine the people there and their lives. That was one of my favorite things about Scotland too.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That's a beautiful spot to be laid out. Like something you'd see in the movies.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Well Rachel, I'm glad to hear that you were with relatives and out and about. You went silent for a while and it began to concern me. Nice blog. Thanks.

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're invited too. Please read my post from Thursday. Don't miss the comments. :)

Blessings,

Shirley

7:17 AM  
Blogger doubleknot said...

What beautiful views. Like most of your comments I also find cemetaries quiet and peaceful.

8:38 AM  
Blogger PinkCat said...

Reminds me lots of England. Very beautiful indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Take care xx

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter