Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Doctors, Exams, and Boobs, Oh My!

This is where I was today. I don't have to tell anyone since you have all been there before. If you haven't then you have been really healthy or have a doctor that makes house calls.

Sunday night I was sitting in my husband's room talking to him and I only had on my nightgown. I was feeling under my right arm and I found a knot under the skin and it's a tiny bit sore. I immediately thought, "swelled lymph node = cancer." I jumped up and hopped around the room flapping my arms like a wild woman saying, "Oh No, who will take care of you if something happens to me? Who will take care of Pup? Who will take care of the cats? Who will go through all my clutter and have to clean this house? Ohhhhhhhhhhhh."

After my initial hysteria passed by I calmed down a bit. My husband told me not to worry about him. He knows where he would go if something happened to me and that would be a nursing home. Yesterday morning I made an appointment to see a surgeon this Friday. Then later in the day I thought maybe I'd try to see my family doctor and maybe he could reassure me. He wasn't in yesterday but they worked me in today. He did reassure me and told me not to make funeral arrangements just yet. He said that he didn't know if it was a lymph node and it isn't a hard lump and can be moved under the skin. He said anything could cause it from a scratch to a sore throat. He did a breast exam (because if you have breast cancer then that would probably be the first place it'd spread). He felt no lumps but it's been 2 years since I've had a mammogram so I'm getting one in the morning. He suggested that I take a round of antibiotics, which he prescribed, and to get the mammogram and postpone the surgeon's visit until a couple of weeks and see if the mammogram was okay and see if the antibiotics made the lump go away. If it doesn't go away then I can go and have the surgeon remove it and send it off for pathology and go from there.

All you ladies who have had mammograms know what fun it is. Think of me in the morning while my boobs are tucked and pulled and every bit that can be gotten including any skin from all around will be squeezed under that glass until it's flatter than a pancake. Then she'll say "Okay don't breathe!" Like you can while you are in that position! If you are a man reading this then just think of your private parts being stuck under a piece of fiberglass material and squeezed down and down until it looked like a toothpaste tube that has been run over by a semi.















On another note, I made these nice little cherry topped cheesecakes for church tomorrow night for the AWANA kids. I also made some cookies.
I sampled one of these miniature cheesecakes and it was really yummy!


17 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

I'll keep you in my prayers Rachel.
Did you see the link on my post today for the free mammograms? It's a very good cause and costs nothing except a mouse click!
The cherry cheesecakes look yummy!
:)

7:14 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Those cherry cheesecakes look really good! Tomorrow sounds painful. Mrs. Jim does that every year, maybe it is easier now than it used to be?
Best wishes and I too will pray for you and about it.
..

8:14 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

PASS.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

I hope everything turns out OK. Yes, I hate, hate, hate those dreaded mammograms.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Mmm, cookies.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

It was only by the grace of God that I started reading this blog at the cherry cheese cake. I thought wow, what a cook. It's Rachel RAY.
Then I went to the top and you had me worried to death about your lump.
That means I finished with the toothpaste tube and I'm with Peter. (throws cards face down in middle of table) "I'm Out."

3:45 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Oh, what an awful day.
Good luck with the mammogram. I always manage to move while during the procedure and have to do it over.
My prayers are with you..

3:46 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
Sometimes the worst part is not knowing what it is. But I guess you figured that out due to all the jumping and hopping you did in your husbands room.
You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.
I was going upstairs to brush my teeth but after the toothpaste tube visual I might wait awhile.
Ralph

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sweet Rachel, I've been there, through the intial worry, callback, lump removal(benign), and still each mammo, I cringe- not for the &*&^%pain anymore, but waiting for the results. Sometimes, I'm lucky and the radiologist can read the xray on the spot instead of the w a i t i n g. Hope you have good answers soon!

They've come a long way (baby) with early detection and most likely you're fine. So glad you DID go to your dr right away. Too many women ignore a "small knot or lump."

You're in my thoughts for a good outcome. Love cheesecake. You must be a great cook. They look scrumptuous!

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you for gettin' your butt in to see the doctor ASAP. Some women would quietly freak and do nothing.

I hope all turns out well -- keeping my fingers crossed for you.

And pass the little cheesecakes, please. They look scrumptious.

7:27 AM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

I hope everything will be fine with you! Good luck! I am sending to you positive thoughts! (((Big hug)))

8:22 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

Bless your heart!!
I hope everything is alright with you...please keep us updated!!!
(((hugs)))
PS...I wish I was one of your AWANA kids!!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Dearest Rachel...I can just imagine how scared you got when you felt that lump, something all women are terrified of finding! I know it's easier said than done about not worrying but at least you saw the doctor right away. Good luck with the mammogram...they can send a robot to Mars but they haven't come up with a way to check our boobs without squishing the heck outta them! lol Those cherry cheecakes look soooo good! Hugs xoxo

2:25 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I'm faithful with my mammograms. I've already had the cancer scare. Please keep us posted!

9:40 AM  
Blogger savvycityfarmer said...

Okay, I think the cherry dessert cup would take my mind off of breasts...
Bless you dear friend.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I pray all of yur tests come back just fine. I know what you mean about the mamogram. I have read some really funny stories about them too. LOL
Now I am having visions of that toothpaste tube you mentioned!
Keep your chin up and remember, "Our Lord is stronger than any illness!"
God Bless

4:05 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

So sorry I haven't been here and I missed this post, Rachel! Lord...it is scary when these things happen...I hope and pray that ALL is well, and that that lump is nothing!
I sure understand you feeling the way you do, my dear!
Prayers are being said, dear Rachel.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter