Monday, January 22, 2007

Monday's Musings

Here is a picture of the Moo Goo Gai Pan that I made. I must say it turned out really well and tasted delicious! I cook the veggies more than they do if you order this at a Chinese restaurant. I would have put some baby corn in but I didn't have any.


Here is a picture that I found for those who like to camp! This just attaches to your back hitch and there you have it - a commode lid to sit on (without the commode!). This guy sitting there reading the paper, can you imagine what would happen if a bear came along about then? Ha! He'd be trying to run with his pants down around his ankles and you know that isn't an easy thing to do!


When I was a kid we had a two holer toilet down over the hill. When I went to my friend's house to spend the night I thought they were so rich because they had a 3 bedroom brick home with a bathroom and a full basement! The floors were even hardwood! They had a hole in the wall of the bathroom (like a doggie door thing) where you could put your dirty clothes into and they landed in the basement in a big hamper right by the washer and dryer! Yeah, I thought they were rich for sure compared to us! She also had several Barbie dolls and I never owned a Barbie doll in my life.
In the basement they had a chalkboard and we used to play all sorts of games down there. She enjoyed coming to our house too. We did lots of fun things there that you couldn't do at her house, like using the two holer!! Well, for her that was an adventure! We also played in the hayloft and ran over the fields like wild Indians! It was all fun back then!

14 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Rachel, that food looks DELICIOUS!!
Pass the soy sauce and hot mustard, please!

You probably didn't have a fortune cookie after tha meal, so here's your fortune:

"This year, you will bring joy to others and you will recieve joy from others."

For the first time in their lives, my kids have their own bathrooms. I would have been overjoyed to have had my own bathroom when I was a teenager.
It is easy to take for granted all the wonderful blessings we have.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Yum! We love Chinese food! That camping commode is hilarious.
Most of the state parks in CA had outhouses when I was young and I really didn't like using them.
Still don't!!
:)

2:28 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Those friends really did seem rich, didn't they?
What did you do with two holes? Isn't one enough?
I never had a Barbie doll and probably wouldn't have even if they had been invented (they weren't).
..
Do you want to go into using corn cobs when the Sears catalog ran out? We NEVER bought toilet paper with those handy items around.
..

5:00 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

I'd love your recipe...looks delish!!
:-D

5:52 PM  
Blogger savvycityfarmer said...

I am in stitches...wondereing what do these two photos have in common ...a beautiful food dish and then a guy taking a dump?????


You made my day!!!!!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

MMMM that Moo Goo Gai Pan looks soooo delicious!As Tammy says..have a recipe to share??? hehe

Oh Rachel...LOL...that camping toilet is just too funny! Growing up we went to camp a lot and we had to use an outhouse...I hated it, was always scared I'd fall through! lol

Wonderful memories from when you were a child...in those days it didn't take much to keep us happy! lol Hugs xox

7:33 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Your Moo Goo looks absolutely delicious, Rachel..It is making my mouth water to look atit and I'm not even hungry...BUT, I could eat some of that right out of that pan this very second! (lol).

The old days do have some wonderful memories...The contrast of your house and your friends...WOW! But what is so great is how much she enjoyed that two holer at your house....The Grass Is Always Greener....!

12:10 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Your Chinese dish looks wonderful. Making it yourself guarantees there is no MSG in it. You make me wish I lived around the corner and could talk you into an invitation for dinner.

I built a one hole outhouse two years ago to use at our cabin, (which is a memory place for my grandchildren so it is as rustic as possible.) I always remember two holers. I thought there were two holes because women always go to the bathroom in pairs. My mother and aunt never went alone. Seems strange now!

5:59 AM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

Wow! The Gai pan looks great!
Yummy.
LMAO at that toilet chair picture.
What wonderful mememories from your childhood! Things are way different now then they were then. Thank you for sharing some of your memories with us.

Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from
the Cool Raggedy one

7:23 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I didn't hear the phone ring when you invited me to dinner. Looks good!
I like the pic of the guy. Pretty funny.
Okay Rachel, a cowboy is using a two holer when another cowboy walks in and starts to drop his drawers. A dollar bill fell out of his pocket and went in the hole. He knew what he'd done so he pulled a twenty dollar bill out of his pocket and threw it in to joing the dollar. When asked why he did that he said, "You don't think I'd reach down in there just to get a dollar do you?"

11:55 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
Your Moo Goo Gai Pan looks really, really, good. I got hungry just looking at picture.
The other picture stirred up a thought, "Could I do that at 75 MPH?" Doubt it!
Ralph

4:58 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi Rachel, I have no idea why but I always thought the two holer outhouse was exclusive to Australia, I am very pleased to share one with you.

9:36 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Rachel,
I love your stories about your friend's house.
I always begged to visit the family down the road. Eight kids and lots to do. And we could be wild and say the word "poop"--which was not allowed at our house!

3:43 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I also love Chinese food and I think I have finally caught up with your posts. Excuse me for being gone for so long.
xoxo
Sandy

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter