Friday, April 27, 2007

Sleepless and Leaking Water

A couple of days ago I had posted a link about Miss America 1944 who used a gun to shoot the tires of a vehicle so a man who planned on stealing from her couldn't leave before the police got there. Tonight she is going to be on Jay Leno!!

This is Friday but has seemed like a Saturday. I have had a couple of nights with very little sleep. Last night my husband woke me up around 2 a.m. While I was up I thought I heard water running in the basement but I wasn't sure. I decided to lay back down and not check it out. I had barely laid back down when I heard cats fighting on the front porch. Since Munchie (our cat) was outside I jumped out of bed and went flying out there. Miss White Lily was out there and Munchie was up in the Bradford pear tree where she had gone to get out of the feud I'm sure. We have 2 stray tomcats that hang around and I'm sure it was those two that were fighting. The other evening they were nose to nose out in the driveway and both yowling like crazy. I got the broom and put between them. They simply ran into the neighbor's yard and began their yowling again. Since I had to put clothes on to get Munchie out of the tree I decided to check the basement to make sure everything was okay. It wasn't. The water line was busted and water was spewing everywhere. I got the flashlight and went out to the meter to turn it off. Then I came back to the basement and it had stopped except for a small stream. I cut the water to the house off and it stopped.

I called my BIL early this morning and he came right over and fixed it. I went to get the part he needed while he got it ready. It cost me less than $4 to get it fixed and he was here about 30 minutes, several of which was waiting on me to get back with the part. He will never take any money for payment and I always try to make him take some. He is such a good hearted person. He's sure been a blessing for me.

Next time I think I hear water running down there I'll check it out pronto!!

My nephew had a garage sale today. They did really well. I knew they would. I never saw so much stuff at a garage sale! I went over yesterday for an early preview! They had some furniture that they sold and oodles of electronic equipment. It looked like a store. When they got married they both had homes so they have had stuff in storage for a long time. They have gotten all that stuff out and trying to get rid of it. They made around $900 today. Not bad I say!! Not bad at all. Tomorrow they will continue it and I'm sure they will do good again. She had it advertized in the paper and she had made neat, very readable, signs that she put up at every intersection to direct folks on how to get there. Those are things that bring more customers in. Some people stick up signs and you can't even read them.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel,
You need to keep BIL on retainer. $4 is a good deal for a plumber. Good thing you caught it when you did.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

That was very reasonable to get a water leak fixed! Glad it worked out so well for you!!
:)

9:01 PM  
Blogger b13 said...

Want to send him my way. I have some work and can offer him $8 ;)

Glad it all worked out.

11:11 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

How lucky to have a BIL that is so close by and can fix things like that water leak...The cost of plumbers today can put one in 'the poor house' as they used to say...LOL...though not really funny....
Those cats sound like a noisy bunch...Poor Munchie...How smart to get up into that tree!

12:27 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Sure, blame it on the tomcats. They probably started fighing because of Munchie. Glad you caught that water leak when you did.
Sounds like your nephew did a little better than Cliff did. But then the object is to get rid of stuff -right?
Ralph

6:44 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

What a blessing your BIL is to have around. He's such a sweetheart to come over so quickly.

We have also had tomcats prowling around our house, since Callie and the kittens are here. All 4 of our other female cats are fixed, but they are fighting over Callie. We have finally given up and don't even try to stop the fights anymore because they just continue it when we leave the scene. But they sure are noisy.

Hope you are now resting well.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Kendra Lynn said...

oooh sorry bout the water break...not fun!
Hope all is well with you.

Kendra

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter