Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Part I of My Going Back Home Visit

Monday I met up with my cousin and we had a day trip going back to the places we grew up at. We weren't able to see everything or spend as much time as I would have liked, but it was a wonderful day and brought back so many memories for both of us. We also had some good laughs! She is so funny and she had me laughing until my side hurt and the tears were running down my cheeks from laughing!! It doesn't get any better than that. I was amazed that things had changed so much. Really I was glad that the place had not become subdivision havens, but then this is WAY out in the country, about 20-25 miles from town. The places that we went to as kids had all grown up with brush and trees. Our swimming holes were no longer used. Houses were gone and nothing left. Oh, there might have been but we were not willing to brave the brush to get in to see. We plan to go back when the leaves have died back and maybe then we can find other things to bring back more memories. This picture used to be the driveway to where we lived at one time. We saw a deer rush off through the jungle it has become.


This used to be the old corncrib.



This was the old shed and I remember a man coming to shear the sheep right in front of it. I remember looking for doodle bugs in there. It was a great place to play as a child.



This is a field that has corn growing in it now but my cousin and I used to gallop our horses at full speed along these fields. When the river flooded the back waters come up and I have seen this field flooded many times.







This picture is one that had us laughing until our sides split. This is right by the road. There is a basketball hoop up in the tree as well. My cousin got so tickled and we got out to take pictures. I know that there is very little traffic here, probably maybe 3-4 cars a day?? You can also see it's not used at all, but someone did take the time to put it up at some point. If anyone were swinging from this tire swing they would swing right out in the road, plus they'd be playing basketball in the road. She said what kind of parents would set their kids up like this? She went on and on and she is so funny!!



We went as far as the road goes in one place. We knew who used to live in all the houses along the way. Some were empty, others had been remodeled. Back then there was a place by the river (Kentucky River) where everyone swam. There was a big rope and they would swing out and drop into the water. There was ample parking for cars. Some folks drove all the way from town to come to this spot. But now the weeds were high and we could only glimpse the river through the weeds and from higher places. No one comes there anymore to swim or to do anything. My cousin said she had swam across the river when she was a kid. Now if her grandchild did that she said she'd give it a proper spanking and that she should have had one back then, but her parents never knew about it.
The scenery is so pretty there. Truly beautiful country.
More to come..........

14 Comments:

Blogger Gattina said...

That's amazing that a place you lived suddenly has become a kind of desert ! Unimaginable here in Europe !

8:41 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I love all the lush greenery. I'm enjoying how lush and green it is here too. Back where we lived in CA, all the hills are golden brown - dead, dead, dead.
I just love that it stays green all summer long!!!

I'd say those parents were trying to get RID of their kids by putting the swing dangling above the road like that. VERY funny!!

How nice that you and your cousin had such fun on your old stomping grounds.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

It's always a mixture of sad and happy memories when you visit old home places like you and your cousin did, Rachel. Isn't it funny how things just freeze in time in our memories, never changing from the last time we saw them?

I loved seeing the pictures and reading about your memories. :-)

Love and hugs,

Diane

9:23 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

Your pictures are wonderful. You obviously had a great time reminiscing. I agree with Diane, thinks freeze in time in our memories. It is usually a disappointment for me to see the changes. I always long for the 'old' days. It's a good thing you had someone to keep you laughing.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

I love going back to the place I grew up. Ever so often I do this. The barn is still standing but the house has fallen. We had an outside toilet and we had sheep. One ram was mean and every time I would start to the toilet (or anywhere 0utside) he would come running at me and would have butted me down, but I learned if I sat dawn on the ground, he would go on and leave me alone.
Thanks for your post today Rachel....it took me back to my childhood!

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

everything is so green. Here it has been so hot and no rain. What an odd place for the swing. And what is a doodle bug?

DayByDay

10:48 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It all looks so Lush & Green, Rachel....It is BEAUTIFUL there...
Your Coudin sounds like GREAT fun! So happy you had such a fun day!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

How wonderful that you were able to spend the day with your cousin and visit the place where you grew up!! You always expect it to look the same and it's quite a shock to the system to see it all grown in and barely recognizable, doesn't it! I know I feel like that when I go visit my birthplace!! I so loved all the pictures and I giggled when I saw where the swing and basketball hoop are! lol xoxo

12:32 PM  
Blogger Martin Stickland said...

Glad you had a good time, we used to play in an old shed like that, it brings back memories!

2:29 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

What a fun trip.
Thanks for sharing and taking such great pictures.

6:33 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures and memories of your day with your cousin visiting and retelling tales of years gone by.

Can't wait to read about the next part of your trip.

That swing is much too close to the road for any of my children to swing on, but I guess those parents knew what they were doing when they hung it there. I've see many basketball goals put on curbs, but never a swing.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

It's so lush and green. Is this a part of KY that is getting lots of rain? Loved all the photos and reading your fun memories.
Can't wait for part 2!
xo

7:39 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Nice photos of your "going home". it is nice you can do that. My childhood has been paved over with suburban sprawl. How mother nature will take back what is hers! At least she leaves a living breathing environment. When I get within 50 miles of my "home" I am overcome with an overwelming sadness. I am glad you found laughter.

Around me are a lot of small farms being reclaimed by Nature. My sadness about this is that I know how hard for families it was just a couple or three generatrions ago to clear this land for agriculture.

Perhaps, Nature is holding it once again, in trust, to be used to help feed us in the future. For now, it is once again becoming the lungs of our planet at leaat.

My reaction to the tire swing was "who would put a road so close to a child's tire swing??" I guess it is all in one's point of view.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

How nice. You must be thrilled to have spent the day doing that. What fantastic memories.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter