Sunday, February 07, 2010

My Sunday Chatter

In my previous post I mentioned the British sitcom "Keeping up Appearances." The lady's name is Hyacinth Bucket (she prefers it pronounced 'Bouquet'). I also mentioned girls/women being named after flowers. I didn't think about it when I posted that post, but her sisters names on the show are Rose, Daisy, and Violet, so they do all have flower names! Anyway, that was just on my mind! Really, I like all those names!

Once again I had to have my laptop worked on. I had just had it worked on week before last. The viruses they "devirused" came back very soon. This time he basically cleaned it up and started over. I wish I was good enough on a computer to figure these things out myself. With so many computers I would think that would be a good line of work to get into. I have used the same computer guy from the first time I had a computer. He built them back then and he brought it in and set it up for me. He gives me lifetime support...well as long as he lives here or until he dies anyway! I can call him anytime (evenings and weekend are okay too) and he will walk me through a problem if he can. Of course I'd never call him late at night or not on a Sunday, just because I'm nice like that! :) One time I called him on a Wednesday evening and he was at Bible study. I apologized and he said it was okay because they were getting ready to start but hadn't started just yet. Otherwise he wouldn't have answered. Really, it's refreshing to find nice people like that.


A friend of mine called me Friday night to let me know she was in the hospital. She will be 85 in March. She is a real character! I asked her why she was in the hospital. She said, "Everything just went haywire. My B/P is too high, my suger is too high, my potassium is too high, and my temperature is too high." I went to see her yesterday. They have been running a bunch of tests to try and figure out what's going on. She can't wait to get back home again. I sure don't blame her for that. There is no place like home!

When I first saw this sign I wondered what big game it was referring to. Then later I was in a restaurant and overheard someone say, "Oh I just like to watch the beginning of it." The other person said, "I only watch it to see the commercials." Then I wondered if it could possibly be Super Bowl time. As you can probably tell I am not into sports, but with the hint of the commercials I knew enough to know it might be the Super Bowl! Seems I was right!

SUNDAY SIGN

15 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh Rachel, you are so very lucky to have a Computer guy like that...Not only nice, but available and smart, too.....Here in L.A., it's very hard to find GOOD People who are willing to take on 'private' customers, like me.,..They all have these Corporate accounts and it doesn't pay them to do one person....OR, they are sort of crazy people...lol!

Great Sign....I'm not into sprts either but I did see some of the game today---it was excitng when one of the players caught/stole the ball who was on the Saints and ran 70 odd yards to make a touchdown, when it had been the Colts ball...!

I hope they figure out what is wrong with your friend so she can get home very quickly....As many doctors say, "A Hos[pital Is No Place To Go When You Are Sick...."!!!

Glad you liked the Orchid, my dear...Me too! So unusual and stunning!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

There are actually some churches around here that dismiss for the Superbowl, and some that have Superbowl parties with big screen TV's showing the game, food, etc. Not my thing at all. We had our usual services tonight, along with a baptism and welcomed 2 new members that joined our congregation this evening.

We're to get more snow tonight and Monday. I'm not sure if you'll get any this time, but stay warm and safe either way.

Love and hugs,

Diane

11:24 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Sorry about your friend R. The game was a good one. That field was no place for sissies. They were hitting pretty hard.
The computer guy soundslike a keeper.
Want some more snow. The wind has come up again with a vengence so I've had to plug in the tractor I run my big snow blower with. I'll need to do that this afternoon.

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sign! I, too, think you are so lucky to have someone close by you can depend on to work on your computer. I hope your friend gets better and can go back home soon. I am not much of a sports fan but enjoyed the new show that came on after the game called Undercover Bosses.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
Getting ready to buy a lap top, I am willing to pay a little more for service. Quality of service is a key factor to be sure. Don't know if I'll ever find a person as good as the one you have.
Yes, super bowl was last Sunday and the food was really good.
Ralph

10:16 AM  
Blogger Janell said...

Keeping up Appearances is very funny. We still get it on our Nebraska public tv station. I like to listen to them talk, no matter what they're saying!

My favorite computer repairman works for a company called The Computer Guy. How perfect is that? Sorry you're having 'puter troubles. That's very annoying!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Hi Rachel, I hope your computer does run longer than last time. My Norton [360] told me it has stopped two Trojan Horses (??) in the last month. It checks every site on Google that I am thinking about pulling up. Some are bad and it say to proceed at my own risk.

I am glad you still get 'Keeping Up Appearances' there in Kentucky. It has been gone from our PBS now for several years.

Like your church sign, that sounds like a good place to stop before the games. Do they serve hors d'oeuvres?
..

1:28 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Rachel - is your computer guy single? He sounds like a dream!
"My team" was in the big game and it was disappointing to lose, but it's hard to be mad at the Saints!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Jerry in Texas said...

If you've got a computer, problems aren't far behind. You are not alone.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Peggy said...

I wish I had a computer guy like yours! I love watching Mrs. Bouquet! LOL it was one of my mothers favorite shows. Hope you have a very blessed weekend

5:53 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

I've seen that sign before around our big city. When we lived in Dallas, we saw it all over the place every Cowboys home game.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I hope that your friend is better and all her problems have been taken care of and she is home from the hospital.

Good computer techs are hard to find, but I have sort of lucked out with my grandson. My son used to take care of my computer, but now I just ask my grandson to help me when he comes to visit.

I didn't watch the Super Bowl game either.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Ileana said...

Cool sign and appropriate for Super Bowl Sunday!

I have a friend who is always smiling and has a full head of thick and wild blonde hair. I call her "Daisy" and she loves it. Flower names are always cheery, aren't they?

Happy Valentine's Day, Rachel!!

♥♥

12:24 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Good sign, good message.... Hope your friend gets home from the hospital soon.....

3:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, those signs, how I love them.

My children affectionately call me the "help desk." Now that they have Macs, though, they're on their own.

I hope your friend recovers soon.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter