Sunday, April 03, 2011

UK Lost, and more ramblings............

Well the UK Wildcats lost their game by one point. Just ONE point! Oh well. They can't all win and of course they all want to win. They did well to get as far as they did. I had decided that if they won last night I'd go buy a T-shirt with their logo on it. Now I don't have to!

It's been warm today and very windy. Tomorrow and tomorrow evening they are saying we might have severe storms. I sure hope not. It's been 37 years today since we had those awful tornado's of 1974, which I have posted about before. So hard to believe it's been that long!

"The Super Outbreak is the largest tornado outbreak on record for a single 24-hour period. From April 3 to April 4, 1974, there were 148 tornadoes confirmed in 13 US states, including Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, and New York; and the Canadian province of Ontario. It extensively damaged approximately 900 square miles (1,440 square kilometers) along a total combined path length of 2,600 miles (4,160 km).[1] The Super Outbreak of tornadoes of 3–4 April 1974 remains the most outstanding severe convective weather episode of record in the continental United States." (This was copied from Wikipedia.)

Currently the same weather pattern is lined up with the two fronts and the warm air moving north from the Gulf of Mexico. It all makes for very unsettling weather for many many states, Hopefully it'll all calm down and be less than the Weather Channel is predicting! I sure hope so. The 1974 tornado hit us straight on. Thankfully no one in my family was harmed, but there were 4 people killed in our area. It got the house, barn, and well....everything! I was not at home at the time and my parents, along with my oldest brother and his son got into the cellar. Needless to say, that is a night that reminds etched in my mind very clearly as we walked back in there later with lightening constantly, the lightening that looks like little veins running everywhere. We spent the night in the church, which was about 1/4 of a mile from our house, and it didn't receive any damage. There was me, my parents, my brother and his girlfriend that stayed in the church. No, I did not sleep one wink that night and my Mom didn't either. Not sure if anyone else did, but they tried. Mom and I just sat in a pew together with no thoughts of sleep! Then at daybreak we walked back up the hill and I just couldn't believe the sights that met our eyes. Amazing how it can all be destroyed in a few seconds.

On another note, I bought a wireless mouse for my computer. I LOVE it!! The cord on my old one broke in two, so when I saw the wireless ones I was elated! Yeehaw!

Now I'll leave you with this lovely daffodil that is blooming so pretty in our front yard right now. I set the bulbs out kind of late, but they came right along and did great!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

You did wonderful with the daffodil picture, Rachel! Good thing you told us what it was because I was going to call it a Dandy Lion flower.

We had a lot of those Dandy Lion flowers in Nebraska. In Texas it is hard to make them grow.

Too bad for the U.K. team. But now you can root for our Texas A&M girls. They beat our Baylor and not they beat Stanford. Both those teams were # 1 seated.

Here is hoping the tornados don't get bad like 1974. That must have been terribly scary.

8:01 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Rachel. ~ I loved the Daffogil shot. Those tornadoes are something I wished I didn't know about... at ALL! ~ j///b

9:44 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

If I were a superstitious person I would say you should have bought the t-shirt BEFORE the game and they might have won. LOL

Yep, here comes tornado season again and I dread it like the plague. We are having to make multiple trips to and from Tulsa for medical and just know we'll probably have to deal with some weather before summer is out. Yikes!

3:02 AM  
Blogger Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Thanks for stopping by and come back and see me soon!
Patti

7:21 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

That Torbedo sounds so very scary...I hope and pray this will not be the case again for you, dear Rachel....!

Such a BEAUTIFUL Flower my dear.....Spring is really there now, isn't it? I know you are glad, but could do without that possible very very bad weather....Prayers Are Coming Your Way....!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

I can't imagine living in tornado country. I would be on pins & needles.
Your daffy is so sweet. I have some blooming here but we had had so much wind, and rain they are pretty ragged and soggy looking. I hope the warm spring days come soon.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

The weather event I remember is Hurricane Hazel in 1954. It hit Toronto and cost deaths and destruction. It was a unique experience as we have not had another since.

We are at the tail end of the Tornado zone here in Northern Ontario. I have experienced a couple of small ones but the last bad one was in 1972 not 1974.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

I actually remember hearing about the Super Outbreak...Windsor, Ontario was affected the most on this side of the border. In 1970, here in Sudbury we experienced a hurricane/tornado that I'll never forget. My oldest brother Denis lived in Vancouver and he had heard on the news that Sudbury had been "wiped out" so you can imagine his panic when he couldn't get through to us on the phone! Imagine that, the media had it wrong, we were not wiped out although 6 people were killed and 200 injured, plus quite a few houses had their roofs blown off, even a church's roof. Something I'm not in any hurry to experience again! lol

I love the wireless mouse as well, good for you for getting yourself one:-) Just make sure you have lots of batteries on hand! lol

Your daffodil is so lovely. Mine have just started coming out of the ground but with the cold temps we're getting again, I think they're thinking of getting back underground!!!! xoxo

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter