Monday, January 02, 2006

A New Year and Ways to Relieve Stress

A new year is off and running. Today is like a spring day. It's 66 degrees and sunny. We had thunderstorms last night and this morning. Another round is headed our way. Then the temperature will drop and it'll be around 41 tomorrow. Still very nice for this time of year.

My neighbor with all the Christmas decorations and lights has taken advantage of this lovely day to take it all down. I only had a wreath on the front porch and a bow on another wreath. I told him that it was going to take him a lot longer to take his down than it would for me to take mine down!

I have decided not to make any resolutions. I usually fail at them so why bother? Instead I will strive to do better in some areas of my life. I plan to take better care of myself. When you are a caregiver for someone else you tend to not take as good of care of yourself, so I'll try to amend that! I go to a Caregiver's Support Group once a month and they are always telling us that we have to take care of ourselves in order to be a good caregiver. Makes sense, even if it is hard sometimes. I think stress is the biggest issue.

So in order to relieve some of my stress I think I need to laugh more. I'll start right now by posting this picture of Ralph from http://homespunheadlines.blogspot.com/ It always makes me laugh!!!


14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! So many caregivers (and non-caregivers) forget to take care of themselves.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Well Rachel, if you were around Ralph much, he'd make you laugh just because he's Ralph.
You are correct. I need to get that picture in 'My Pictures' that run as a screensaver.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel,
That one cracks me up too. Cheers to Ralph for making us laugh.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Laughter is the best medicine....One way to releave stress is thru deep breathing. Breath in thru your mouth and out thru your nose. Long slow breaths. Check out www.oxycise.com for more details. It works wonders for me.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
If that picture makes you laugh and relieves some stress I will get one printed, sign it, frame it and mail it to you! Take Care of yourself.
Ralph

7:42 PM  
Blogger Curious Servant said...

That is pretty good!

Thank you for your comment on my blog.

Happy new year!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

Dear Rachel,
That pic sure cracked me up when I first saw it on Ralph's blog. I'm glad you made this resolution for yourself. It's so true about humor releasing those endorphins to relieve stress and give warm feelings. As a caregvier, you need much more than that but it will help. Hugs to you.

2:46 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Very Very Funny, Rachel...Hilarious in fact!
Do take good care of yourself Rachel...all of us out here in Blogland want you healthy and not too stressed for your own sake, my dear....

3:22 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I forgot to tell you Rachel, I used that pic for my 'background' on my computer for two days. I couldn't take it. It kind of broke my concentration everytime I sat down to do something.

5:07 AM  
Blogger David said...

Ah Ralph has the right idea. What a great attitude. I did not make any resolutions either. Never meet them.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachel
Just for the record - that picture even makes me laugh.
Ralph

11:36 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

That picture of Ralph is SO funny. He has caused several of us to have a good, belly laugh.

I hope you will take good care of yourself. Pamper yourself sometimes. I'm sure you get drained. I don't know your husband's condition, but I know you have mentioned that he needs care and to have someone there to watch over him. You deserve to be cared for as well. I hope you will take time out to restore yourself.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, laughter is definitely great medicine! I am not making resolutions, either. I can't discipline myself to keep them :( Have a great evening!

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, Rachel. I hope you'll give yourself lots of care and love this year. I resolve to do the same (especially to get healthier--ack!).

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter