Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Another Memory

One time I recall spending the night with my cousins. I’m not sure how old I was but I think I was around 18 or so. They are both younger than I am. It’s kind of a long story, and I won’t go into it here, but at that stage of their life they were pretty much living alone. They have a brother who is around my age but he was not there that night, but he did live there.

It was during the winter and their only source of heat was a heating stove which was in the living room. The bedroom was very cold. We all slept in a regular bed and they had an electric blanket. They had a big electric fan on the dresser which they turned on. I said, “Good grief, what are you doing turning the fan on and it zero outside?” Susan said, “Well, if someone is going to break in and kill us we just as soon not hear’em coming.” I told them I did, so I could maybe get to heck out of their way and under the bed and maybe while he was trying to kill one of us that the other two might get away or at least try to beat the crap out of him. But they wanted the fan left on. That was the way they were used to sleeping. They liked to sleep late and the mailman came along around 9 a.m. and he usually ‘scratched off and threw gravel’ when he took off from their mailbox and woke them up. As long as that fan was going they didn’t hear him or anything else that might disturb them.

I didn’t sleep very good that night. I kept listening for the murderer to come! Funny how those suggestions make you worry. Back then we didn’t lock doors like we do now. They lived way out in the country and the closest house was about a half mile away. I slept in the middle and being crowded between two people and not being able to turn on my side and draw my legs up, like I like to sleep, and basically having to lay flat on my back, under an electric blanket keeping you toasty warm from the neck down while the fan blew on you, in an already cold room, and your head froze off. I sure was glad when that night was over!

13 Comments:

Blogger Cheyenne said...

It's really funny some of the stuff we had to put up with over the course of our lives, isn't it?

11:33 AM  
Blogger 4evergapeach said...

My sister hated sharing a room with me because I couldn't sleep without the radio on. Drove her nuts and on top of that she hated country music.

I like to be cold at night and cuddle under lots of blankets but I don't think I'd want a fan on in an already cold room.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

My son sleeps with his ceiling fan on high. I think that would dry my mouth & nose out.
I love my electric blanket. We have dual controls, so I'm toasty warm & Hubby has his on OFF.
Some people are really addicted to having fans on.
That night sounds miserable. I'm sure you were glad when it was over.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I think I'd rather be a coach of a girls softball team...the one thing I vowed never to do again. The cold head reminds me of a few nights I spent camping in the mountains. Those kind of nights just never seem to end. Glad you survived to grow up to be a blogger.
btw, can you lick your nose??

3:06 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

NO CLIFF I CANNOT!!! YOU ARE JUST TOO FUNNY TODAY!!

6:01 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am not sure I could have stayed the night under those conditions...Where are these guys now, Rachel? Still sleeping with the fan on do you suppose? I actually understand the fan thing for screening out noises but I don't think I would have it blowing right in my head! (lol)

1:19 AM  
Blogger Rhodent said...

Maybe a hat would have helped, but I can't imagine having a fan blowing when it is cold!

3:35 AM  
Blogger David said...

Sounds like a good way to sleep - I do that all the time. LOL

Childhood memories what would we do without them?

5:32 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I sleep in an airconditioned room but with the fan on 2. Hate blankets.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

If I didn't have my fan running all night long I wouldn't be able to sleep at all. I call it "white noise."

I sleep through all those murderers, police sirens, barking dogs, mailmen, children playing under the window, (not grandchildren, though), noisy TVs...blissful, peaceful, sleep.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that sounds unbearably uncomfortable! I would have been nervous about a murderer, too. ;o)

11:16 AM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

Your cousin Susan saying that sounds like a lot like a lot of my cousins; bet she said that just to scare you. Miserable night, though.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I let my younger sister protect me from the Boogie Man.
Our dog, Duke, scared away any murderers.
..

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter