Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Bits and Pieces



I got this basket some time back at the Goodwill store for 50 cents. I thought it was the cutest thing. Someone went to a lot of work to make this. All around the sides are clumps of pine needles that are wired together. That alone took plenty of effort. Then they wired pine cones to the bottom edge and then touched them up with a little gold paint. I saw it sitting there in the store and it caught my eye and said, "Take me home!" I haven't regretted it at all. I still think it's the cutest thing.

My hubby wanted ice cream and cake this afternoon, so I made a devil's food cake with 3 layers. I put butter creme icing between each layer and on top. He had his with ice cream and I had a generous slice without ice cream. Either way....delicious!


We have had some rain today. Just light rain and now it's foggy. Strolling around the yard I noticed that the crocus is just about ready to bloom and so are the daffodils. Spring is just around the corner. Spring gets me excited!! I love seeing the flowers and the leaves. It's a renewing of life.

Speaking of which, that reminds me I saw an obituary in the paper where a 36 year old man had died. I wondered what happened to him. I found out he had hung himself. Married, 4 kids, wife had left him a few months ago, his weekend to get the kids, he called them and they didn't want to come over. He hung himself and his poor mother found him. How sad is that? Things like that just break my heart to hear.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm, Where is this world taking us?

6:56 PM  
Blogger Motherkitty said...

Hi, Rachel. Thanks for your comments on my site. And, I appreciate you leaving a comment on my sister's new blog. I'm sure she will enjoy reading your comment.

We are in far western Kentucky near Paducah. And, we have family in Berea which is near you. Kentucky certainly is a lovely state and we have noticed that spring is coming closer to us every day. My daughter just posted some pictures of yellow crocuses blooming in her yard with bits of snow around them. Very pretty. I also noted that my lilac bush has buds on them and I'm hoping the latest round of snow hasn't hurt the buds.

About the obit you read, we also had a death in our little town recently -- similar circumstances, same ending. How very sad that someone would get that depressed to take their own life. How it must affect the wife, children, and family left behind.

My cup is full and sometimes runneth over!!!

8:36 PM  
Blogger David said...

We will NOT talk about cake and ice cream - it is out of my mind.

That is such a sad story about the man. His kids will live with that for a long, long time. No time for Dad..........

5:33 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Back here in our Country, we don't have spring. But the month of May is the month where all flowers start to bloom so I guess this is similar to your spring.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

We've had a few of those deaths lately in our little community. I guess I don't understand all of that.
About the cake, I'm thinking you've still got my address and overnight express can't be more than $50 and...oh never mind.
About the basket. Anytime you can buy a 'talking basket' for 50 cents, DO IT.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I love a good bargain, and 50 cents for anything these days is a goooood bargain.

I'm glad you & your hubby enjoyed the cake you made. Yummy!

How tragic about that young man taking his own life.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

I love the basket, such a great find! And PLEASE, everyone, stop talking about cake! I'm on the 7th day of my diet! Ya'll enjoy it for me!

A mother should never have to go through such a thing. The things that will go through her mind the rest of her life are horrifying. Devastating for everyone involved.

6:24 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

So very sad, Rachel about that 36 year old man...it's hard to understand sometimes that someone sees no other way out of the pain they are in...it is deeply heart breaking, all aroiund, for each and everyone in that family...

Yummmmm Rachel...that cake and ice cream sounds soooo good to me...I was so tired yedterday..(today, too, I'm afraid...that I ate a very very VERY good Big Brownie...and a 2nd one today....
Oh Dear...! But I am bone tired...does that excuse me???(lol)

7:56 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

We just ate the last of the cake Karen made for Mema. You could send the leftovers to us.
This Sunday a fairly young (39) minister in Dallas lost his life.
He was on the way to preach three services at his church in Fort Worth.
His SUV slid on the ice, he hit the guard rail and was thrown out. The sheriff said he died instantly.
His unpreached sermon:
http://blog.myspace.com/ylrock
..

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That basket is amazing!

Oh I want spring to come so badly. I am very tired of winter...

That truly is heartbreaking about the man who hung himself--to be found by his mother of all people! Ah! So much sadness and despair in the world. A serious infusion of hope is desperately needed.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter