Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Memories.....

Today I made the apple pie and delivered it, along with a half gallon of French Vanilla ice cream, to my neighbor's house. I sure hope it turned out okay. They were getting ready to dig in when I left. Last time I made my own crust but this time it was 'brought on.' Do you know what "brought on" means? We used to use that word a lot when I was a kid. Anything that came from the store and not made at home was "brought on." So in my apple pie I used those frozen crusts, so I hope it all turned out well. Sure smelled good cooking and looked good. I'm sure they'll let me know.

I had an e-mail from a girl I used to work with. She and I used to share the same office. She was always hot and I was always cold. She sat right by the thermostat and controlled it. She also had one of those little fans that clip on your desk too. I used to tell her that I was going to bring my electric blanket and plug it in to keep warm. I told her I was going to build a fire in the trash can. She usually had no pity on me. She said my blood was too thin and I needed some vitamins. I told her she had thyroid problems and needed medication! This was all in good fun. We were, and are, buddies. She is a very quiet person. One day I was so cold and my hands were like ice balls. I dug in my purse and found some matches. I lit one and cupped my hands around it. She saw me and grinned and then she reached up and cut the thermostat down some. That was the only time she had any pity for me!! I used to bring a banana to work for a snack sometimes and when I left my desk she would write on them and draw pictures. She would write, "Please don't eat me" and draw a sad face! She gave me the nickname of Bud (short for Rosebud she said) and she still calls me that.

We worked in the same office but we worked for different doctors. She had one of those big adding machines. Our boss bought one much smaller for us. She always laughed and said it was a "wimpy" one!

She lost her husband to cancer last year and I know she gets really lonely. They have one son and he is 17 or 18 now. Her husband was only 52 when he died. She is a cancer survivor herself and has been doing well now for about 7 years since her surgery. Now her mother has cancer of the throat.

We'll have to get together and do lunch soon. There are 5 of us from that same office that all get together and have lunch periodically. Getting her e-mail made me think of those times in the office and brought a smile to my face.

11 Comments:

Blogger Cheyenne said...

Around these parts things from the store were "boughten" and I never ever used that. I had too much pride in my English and just couldn't bring myself to talk that way. But the other kids did. Lord knows I said enough dumb things without adding to it.

9:23 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

How wonderful to meet friends that you have been with for so long.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Your friends are wonderful. Still to come you ladies will really enjoy each other's company a lot.

Mom used to play Canasta with a group of ladies. Now there are only two left.

We say 'store bought.' I'm not sure that would pass Cheyenne's English test.

One time we drove the folks to Oregon to see Mom's step-mother and half brothers and sisters.

On the way back we stopped in South Dakota (can't remember the town) where she was born.

The little cafe had 'home baked apple pie.' I had some, it was very fine.

Then I asked the waitress who all was making those pies, there seemed to be too many for one person to be making.

She said they were Mrs. Smith pies, they just baked them in their homes.
..

10:07 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

The town was Presho, South Dakota.
..

10:30 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

That was really sweet of you to make your neighbor an apple pie as appreciation for mowing your yard.

Isn't it nice to meet up with old friends. I often run into people I worked with and it's such a delight to reminisce and catch up on what's been going on with them.

7:38 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds like you had fun times in that office though it must have been difficulkt to share a space with someone who's temperture guage was so different from yours...I would be wearing coats all the time! (Lol)
We would say "boughten" (or "store bought") by the way...which is similar to "brought on"...interesring how language is different in different parts of the country, isn't it?

Hope you get to see your friend sometime soon...that would be so nice, wouldn't it Rachel?

9:50 AM  
Blogger PinkCat said...

Rachel its great that you have stayed in touch with your friends from work. I often think of the friends that I made when I was working and wonder what they are doing. Lots of them were young like me at the time and I wonder if they got married and had children. Its a shame that we can't keep in touch with everyone for ever but I guess at the time you don't think of it as being a priority especially when you are young and silly. I have however kept in touch with one girl and her name was Catherine too. It was funny because she was little Catherine and I was big Catherine. LOL I have now known her for 12 years. We were both around when we had our children. Funnily though she emigrated to Portugal the same year as we emigrated to Phoenix.

I am sure your pie was awesome even if it was a store bought base.

Take care xx

10:58 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I bet your apple pie with the brought on crust and the brought on ice cream tasted delicious.
I'd sure like to try a piece.
I hope you get together with your friend soon.
I'm sure she is very sad having to see her mom go through cancer. What an awful disease. It is so sad that it took her husband at such a young age. I am glad she is a survivor!!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Oh, I'm cold blooded too. :)

I'm always adjusting the thermostate at our house because the boys always have it set way too low.
Courtney doesn't bother it much at all, but even she gets too cold with the way the boys have it set.
It's like a meat locker in here!!!!

7:09 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

What a sweet story. Your pie post of Tuesday was the one that got me to thinkin' about pies. Now I have pie on the brain.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

This, right here, is what blogs are supposed to be like. Great stuff Rachel. Thanks.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter