Wednesday, November 22, 2006

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!


This piece was taken from an article I read in the paper by Mr. Craig Harris of CNHI News. It was all worth sharing but I'm only putting part of it here.

What are you thankful for this year? The point of Thanksgiving is finding things for which to be thankful. The world will never be perfect, but there is always enough good to give us hope. It's up to us to look for it, find it, and remember it. If we really look, we can always find something.
Yes it is important to stop and give thanks, even if the only thing we are thankful for is that we survived another year. You see, it is at that moment that we begin to realize there truly are many things good about our lives. We begin to think about the joy our loved ones give. We remember our shelter, transportation, job, friendships, our kid's successes in school, clothing, church, and our daily bread.We are thankful for getting well when we were sick or for living another year with our sight and hearing intact. Maybe we got a raise. Maybe we reconciled with an old friend. Maybe we have learned something that we never knew before.
Then it hits us: that maybe life isn't so bad after all. Maybe there is reason to have hope. Without hope, life would not be worth living and being thankful reminds us of the hope we have. That's why I think Thanksgiving is so important and why I am glad it's a national holiday.
If we don't teach our children to be thankful, they may go through life without hope and they may not appreciate the world around them. How sad to live with blinders on to all but our own interests. How sad to go through life with a chip on your shoulder. How sad to go through life with no desire to take care of our world. Teach your children to be thankful. Count your blessings and let them hear you. Tell them they are high on your list.
My wife says Thanksgiving is the "middle child" of the holidays and some people overlook it. She's right and that's sad. Life is more than a party, and it's more than giving and receiving presents. Life is at its best when we are thankful.
What are you thankful for this year? I'm thankful for faith, hope, and love. Sometimes that's all we have, but it's always all we need.
********************************************
I personally do have so much to be thankful for and not just at Thanksgiving but all year long. I do appreciate and count my blessings. I do agree with this article so much. I think that Thanksgiving is the "middle child" and is often overlooked or it's just a day to feast for most people. I wish everyone a very happy Thanksgiving. One of my blessings are all my blogging friends! I am thankful for you all.

11 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I so agree with you Rachel...I know for some people it is hard to find something to be thankful for...and in certain ways I understand that...but on the other hand---for some other people there is so very much to be thankful for and one hopes they can find it in their hearts to feel thankful...
I hope you have a beautiful day tomorrow Rachel....and I anm very thankfu; for your friendfship, my dear....!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Happy Thanksgiving Rachel!
Stopping to count our blessings is a good exercise for each of us...
:)

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Rachel.

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a really nice post. Have a happy Thanksgiving Day..

7:33 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Rachel. Have a great holiday.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Happy Thanksgiving Rachel!
Thanksgiving is in the middle of Halloween and Christmas?
..

10:17 PM  
Blogger Miki said...

Thank you, Rachel. I too have so much to be thankdful for, especially this year! Last year was a rough one, with Scott in the hospital getting his hip replaced, and all of the worry. THis year, the worry will be absent from the day, at least. He is hear, amongst us, and that is what is important! I am so thankful that I have all of my blog buddies too! It is nice to know that you are all here for me, so thank you Rachel, for being amongst us and for being there. Happy THanksgiving!

4:42 AM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Rachel!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

And I am Thankful for you Rachel my friend. I loved the pic and the post. How very true.
Today is the big Colorado v Nebraska game and the Campbells and a whole lot of Morrow's will be here. Some of the female types are going horseback riding. Wish you could be here.

4:48 AM  
Blogger EV said...

I hope your Thanksgiving was a great one Rachel! I too am grateful for blog buddies such as you. :)

5:39 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Great post Rachel. The article is right. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.
We are having a great time at the Morrow's and as you probably can tell I am using Cliff's computer. Once again the wives are coming to the conclusion that 600 miles is just the right distance between Cliff and I.
Ralph

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter