Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Cake and Flowers


My computer is fixed! Whoohoo to that! It had to spend last night in the hospital. Well, actually in a garage since that is where my computer guy works from. It had several bugs and I am glad to be rid of them. He also added some more ram?? or something that will make it go faster. I am all for speed, so I told him to add it to it. I can't remember what he called it. As you can tell I failed in the technology department. It is moving faster though, and whatever he added cost $40. Getting rid of the bugs was extra of course!


Yesterday was my birthday. My nephew's wife asked me over for supper and she had baked me a cake. Pretty isn't it? They only put 3 candles on it since they didn't want the Fire Department responding...or maybe 3 was all she had! Whichever, it was good and she had homemade ice cream to go with it. Now that was good stuff!

On my last post I had left Cliff in charge and he didn't even stop by. Gee thanks Cliff. It's 20 minutes in the naughty chair for you!

Saturday I helped plant some flowers at the Veteran's Memorial down by the courthouse. Several people were supposed to come by to help. I wasn't sure that I would even get to go until that morning. I went down and took some extra gloves in case anyone needed them. The man who was in charge of it was there with his truck and he had the flowers and mulch that had been donated, plus some tools to dig with. The others who promised to come did not show up and he really wasn't able to do any work. I set in and pulled weeds and then dug up the one spot that is in the front and needed it the worse. Then a reporter from the newspaper came and she used a pair of my gloves and she jumped right in to help out. We didn't have any water and the plants had to be watered. So they left to go to her house, which was nearby, to get water and I set out the flowers. When they came back I had about 2/3's of that area set out. After we got them set out then we put mulch around them and watered them. It looks pretty don't you think? It's not a very big area at all and the 4 corners have dirt and shrubbery/flowers. I may go back and do some upkeep on it from time to time from now on. There was oodles of cigarette butts that people had tossed in there. Made me so mad and I wished some not-so-nice things on each one that had tossed one in. We picked lots of them out but many remained. People have no respect. I would like to get a couple of plants like the ones in front there to add where a couple had died on the left side. That would make it look better. At least it is pretty now for Memorial Day.

19 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

Happy belated birthday! I need your mailing addy. diva has decided that all 3 of you that picked May 21st should have a gift basket.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

I missed your birthday somehow. Sorry, and Happy Birthday, Rachel, a bit late. :-)

The flowers do indeed look nice, and how thoughtful of you to give your time and effort to planting them.

Man, that cake and ice cream is making me hungry!

Love and hugs,

Diane

9:17 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

That cake looks scrump-diddly-umptious! Happy Birthday!

9:30 PM  
Blogger b13 said...

Happy Birthday! Man, that cherry topped cake looks GOOOOOOD!!!

Glad your computer woes are gone, gone, and gone!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Rachel,
I'm so sorry I missed your birthday!
Your cake and ice cream look so yummy!
Hope it was a wonderful day and the coming year is full of every blessing!
So glad your computer is bug free and moving faster!!
xo

9:41 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Happy Birthday Rachel!
I think all of the cool people have May birthdays.
When ever I pick up cigarette butts (which is way too often) I wish I could deliver them back to the people who threw them down in the first place -- maybe in their coffee....not that I have a strong opinion about it...

9:47 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Happy Birthday dear Rachel, Happy Birthday to you. Sorry I was late with that. I'm glad you had a shindig thrown for you.
You are to be commended on the memorial flowers. Did the reporter get pics of you to put in the paper??
Sorry I was late. I didn't know I was in charge. Hope everything is alright. You have pretty responsible readers so I'll bet nothing is missing. I did stick my finger in the cake. MMMmm good.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Three candles? One for each decade, right?

Happy Belated Birthday, Rachel.

7:45 AM  
Blogger EV said...

Happy Birthday!!! And I love those flowers, too. Leave it to Cliff - he didn't know he was in charge. :0)

9:10 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I feel befuddled...I had no idea it was your birthday!!!!!
That cake looked so good!!
:)

11:51 AM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

Ooooh what a beautiful birthday cake...did you save me a piece??? hehe Woohoo to your computer being fixed...hopefully you'll have no more nasty virus and such for a long while! You certainly did a great job on planting those flowers. I know how you felt about seeing all the cigarette butts in there...as you say, there's just no respect for anything anymore:-( Thank God for people like you who care and volunteer to clean it all up!! xoxo

5:08 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Rachael
Happy Birthday!!!!
Congrats on getting your computer back.
Maybe, just maybe, people will be so impressed with that planting that they won't leave cigarette butts there. It really is nice.
Again, happy birthday.
Ralph

5:13 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi Rachel, happy birthday, better late than never, congratulations to you and that reporter for the pretty little garden cum ashtray... Yuk.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Happy belated Birthday Rachel and I think that each candle was to represent ten years of your life. I believe that makes you 30 doesn't it????

I'm glad that your computer is fixed and that you got some RAM. I got some too so that I can work with pictures.

You should know better than to leave Cliff in charge. He probably wrote a post and put it on someone else blog. Sorry Cliff...I probably shouldn't have said anything, but if you're a friend of Rachel's, I know that you can take a little ribbing. hehehe.

As many times as I have been in your city, I have never seen the courthouse. I'll have to make a point to look it up and see those pretty little flowers that you planted.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Mountain Mama said...

It's a little late but I do want to wish you a very Happy Birthday. You should be proud of yourself for making such a nice garden too. Too bad the others didn't keep their word and show up to help.

9:48 PM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

A Very Happy Birthday, Rachel! All the best to you! (Sorry, a bit late). The cake looks delicious! Cheers!

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy two days after birthday, Rachel!

You nearly had me in a tizzy saying you spent the night in the hospital! Shame on you.

I'm going to go eat ice cream in honor of your birthday now!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Your b-day cake looks very yummy!!!!
The flowers look great too.
You are such a sweetheart.
I wish you many more birthdays filled with yummy treats and loving friends and family.
Have a nice holiday weekend.

8:32 PM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

ahhh-Rachel,

So sorry I missed your birthday!

Had lots of trouble recently-computer things- so I have not been keeping up with things as I should! Anyway, that cake and ice cream looks great!

What a nice thing -to donate your time to planting those flowers! I'm with you on the mess smokers make around public places- and just think too of the mess they are making for thier insides! (sorry! I still have loved ones who smoke!)


Junie

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter