Friday, May 18, 2007

Hardworking Smart Women!

Yesterday I worked my behind off.....oh well ...no, it's still there after all. I got up early and went to Southern States and got some flowers and then I stopped at Lowe's and got some more. Then I came home and worked in the flower garden pulling weeds, chopping weeds, and pulling up flowers that just came up in the wrong places. I love them and love that they volunteer and spread themselves around but sometimes they get carried away. I went ahead and got rid of some and then I set out some new plants I had gotten. We have a rail fence that is about 40 feet long and I set some out under it, and removed some of the old dead things and some leaves from the fall that got left and were stuck in there. So after getting everything set out and watered, tools put away, trash picked up, putting down mulch, then I got the weedeater out and used it. My neighbor has mowed the lawn for probably the last 6 times it's been mowed but he doesn't weedeat, so it needed it badly, especially below the garage where I had several of my plants waiting to be set out parked there. I thought it surely was 5 p.m. or so, but when I came in the house it was only 2:30 p.m. I couldn't believe it! I guess that just goes to show what you can get done when you get up early and get at it. Normally I am a late sleeper.

Is it possible to weedeat without getting it all over yourself? My pants are always covered from my thighs down with grass. Solid. I just wondered if maybe that little shield on there is supposed to shield the grass from getting on you so much? If so, then I haven't learned the knack of it yet because I have grass all over me, including plenty in my hair and bits on my face and neck. I do wear safety glasses always when I use the weedeater.

I was very glad to get that all finished up. It was quite nice to work outside yesterday. It has cooled up (blackberry winter I think), and the wind was blowing, so even though I was hot it wasn't nearly as bad as if it had of been 80's like it was before this cool spell came through.

*************************************************************
When Dan found out he was going to inherit a fortune when his sickly father died, he decided he needed a woman to enjoy it with. So one evening he went to a singles bar where he spotted the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. Her natural beauty took his breath away.

"I may look like just an ordinary man," he said as he walked up to her, "but in just a week or two, my father will die, and I'll inherit 20 million dollars."

Impressed, the woman went home with him that evening and, three days later, she became his stepmother. Women are so much smarter than men.

13 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL...Well, not exactly a nice joke about women, but there is much truth to it, unfortunately...!

Love that you got so much done, Rachel, and in much less time than you thought it would take....I would LOVE to see the new plants you spoke of...Pictures? (lol)

I am completely unfamilar with a weedeater...not having lived with a lawn of any kind for over 46 years! I'd love to see a picture of it, too! Maybe I will Google it!

12:40 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Rachel,
You are one hard working woman!
I always get carried away weedeating. It is a messy job, you are smart to wear goggles.
Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

It's been several years since I've had to use a weedeater, but as I recall, I got grass all over me, too, from head to foot!

You've been doing what I NEED to do...I have a few things to plant and I need to pull some grass, etc. from my few flower beds.

Hope you have a great weekend, Rachel! :-)

Love and hugs,

Diane

1:33 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Oh THAT'S a gooood one!!

You certainly did a lot of yardwork. I bet it looks so nice now.
We don't have a yard yet, so I just dress up our porches. One of these days, we'll have some grass and other landscaping.
It cooled down for us too. I've enjoyed it because it's not as humid either.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

Wow!!!! What a Woman!!!!! So much work in so little time. I imagine you have everything looking really nice. I just finished covering my tomato plants in case the frost comes. That's what the weathermen say is going to happen.
I know all about the weed eater...one of my favorite things.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooohhhh....Love it, Rachel! You're not supposed to make me laugh like that. Yes, women are much smarter.

Sounds like you've been busy out there in your yard. When do we see the pics?

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have slowly been adding flowers to the yard this week. Mostly because it has been raining and it has not been possible. Today I worked in the garden for almost two hours. Now to sit back and watch them grow. .... and wait for the weeds too.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Carole Burant said...

I'm really not sure about the weedeater...my husband is the one who does that part and I don't recall him getting full of grass...so I'm not sure what you're doing wrong! lol Sounds like you did a good day's work on the garden and yard:-) xoxo

8:38 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I can't get rid of this image of you down on all fours munching into the weeds with relish... or mayonaize... WEED EAT??
I think you need to adjust the shield on your weedeater so that it deflects the debris away from you.
Became his step mother!!!!!!!!! some women are evil like I said a couple of posts back.

1:43 AM  
Blogger Kendra Lynn said...

Great joke! Loved it. Thanks for makin' me smile.

Kendra

9:21 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

The comments section isn't open on the post above Rachael, some church signs my sister posted... sorry no pictures.

Church Signs

The best Vitamin for a Christian is B 1.

Come in and have your faith lifted.

This is a ch--ch. What is missing ?

You are not too bad to come in and
You're not too good to stay out.

Can't sleep ? Try counting your blessings.

Where will you be sitting in eternity ? Smoking or
Non-smoking ?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Try Jesus. If you don't like Him, the devil will always take
you back.

Under the same management for over 2000 years.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel

I have come up with various means of making the grass easier to remove from ME and my clothing but keeping them from getting on you IS impossible in my opinion. And NO! you cannot adjust the little shield in such a way to block all the grass. In fact, the little shield is FIXED not adjustable. What's worse than getting the grass on me is getting the grass on all the surrounding surfaces and stuff that I must use the hose to wash off later. Goggles are the best idea. Eyeglasses help but still, little bits of debris can hit under them and bounce into your eyes. I learned this the hard way.

Of course, you could opt to put on light-weight cover-alls before you begin or do as I do at times and place some of my wife's used, cut-off pantyhose legs to cover my shoes, and legs up over my knees and that way, when I am through using my string trimmer, I simply take them off, removing the grass at the same time. That's always where the thickest deposits of grass accumulate.

The older type string trimmer NEED that little shield to hold the line cut-off blade which keeps the line at a usable length. If it were not for that, one may as well remove the little shield all together because it does little to protect your lower legs from being struck now and then by small stones and sticks that are launched by the string anyway.

Perhaps you have noticed that the little shield can become a problem now and then when it hangs up on the taller grass, tilting the cutter head and causing one to gouge a scalped spot in the grass.

I know some women who claim that a string trimmer is simply TOO HEAVY for them to use properly. That's just an excuse in my opinion and you are proof that women can and DO use one and use it well.

I like the term String Trimmer rather than weed-eater. Weed eater conjures up a repulsive image and an untrue one at the same time. It doesn't eat anything. It only makes small pieces of anything it strikes, including one's toes if they get in the way. BE CAREFUL...PLEASE!

6:21 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

WOW!!! You really got a lot of work done in a short time. You must have really been enjoying working in your yard. I don't think it's possible to come away clean after weedeating.
That joke was hilarious and I didn't see it coming. hehehe

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter