Saturday, May 12, 2007

Happy Mother's Day


This is my Mother. She was a wonderful woman who is now an angel in Heaven. Mom was a quiet person who had gentle ways. She was an excellent cook and nobody could cook like my Mom!
She had a hard life really. She never worked outside the home and she never learned to drive. She worked alongside my Dad in the fields many times hoeing corn (yep, they used to do that back in the older days!), and then later hoeing tobacco, and helping to do all the other things that went along with being a farmer's wife and a mother to 3 boys and a girl. She worked in the garden and canned so much good stuff that tasted wonderful during the winter months. She cooked for the tobacco crews that came in to help cut tobacco. She gave birth to all of her children at home except one, and that was my brother next to me.
She was the one we went crying to when things didn't go right or we got hurt. She used to put turpentine and sugar on a cut and it always seemed like whatever she did was just right. She took a switch to us when we needed it, which wasn't too often thankfully!
Mom was a Christian woman who prayed fervently for her children, husband, family members, friends, and neighbors.
She loved flowers and the simple things in life. She took time to smell the roses. She had no enemies. When I hear that song, "If I Could Hear My Mother Pray Again," I always think of Mom. I have so often seen her on her knees praying out loud.
She was a saint on earth and I know she's a saint up in Heaven!!
Happy Mother's Day Mom. You were the very best of the best. I love you and I miss you still.

20 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

Happy Mother's Day Rachel.
What a lovely tribute to your own dear Mom.
((hugs))

7:56 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Oh Rachel...I can tell that you miss your mother dearly and what a lovely tribute to her memory. I'm sure she is smiling down at you from Heaven where I am also sure she has gone to.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Rachel, this was so very touching. I now know exactly what your Mother was like. Living the life of a farm wife was not easy when our parents were young.

10:03 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Beautiful Rachel.
Thanks for the terrific tribute to your dear Mother.
I cannot imagine having children at home (of course, I cannot imagine having children at all).

11:30 PM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Real nice, Rachel, real nice.

And Happy Mother's Day to you.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

Happy Mother's Day to you Rachel. Your Mother sounds like my Mother. They are both Angels in Heaven, I am sure.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Your mother certainly did a lot of things right. She raised you well and disciplined you when it was needed, and she was smart enough to know she needed the Lord's help with the stuff that was beyond her control.
Thanks for sharing about her. Your love for her is very evident in this post.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

Your mother and mine were as different as night and day ! My mother only had my father, shoes and handbags in mind !

10:35 PM  
Blogger EV said...

Wow! That was wonderful, Rachel. Thanx for sharing that word portrait of an exceptional woman. Happy Mother's Day to you, too.

5:21 AM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

Thank you, Rachel, for sharing this touching tribute to your mom. She did an amazing job raising you, and would no doubt be proud to read your poignant words.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Juryizstillout said...

What a cool sounding lady!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

She sounds like a great mom....You are a lucky ducky.

Hope your husband is doing alright. TF goes in to see the gastrointestional Doctor in a couple of hours and we will try to find out what that spot is on his liver. Pray for him.....

11:44 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

A beautiful, heartfelt tribute...such a sweet lady begat a loving a sweet daughter!
Love YOU!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Diane@Diane's Place said...

Happy Belated Mother's Day, Rachel. Your Mama sounds very much like mine was. :-)

Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog.

Have a great week!

Love and hugs,

Diane

11:09 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Nice tribute Rachael.
Ralph

6:42 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a beautiful tribute, Rachel....Your Mom sounds like a very wonderful woman and a superb Mama, too!

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww. That was nice Rachel. She has a beutiful smile and so do you. She'd be very proud of you now.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hi Rachel, your tribute to your mother was absolutely beautiful. Mom's have just a special way of doing everything!

I am doing my best to follow in my father's blogging footsteps, but he is a tough act to follow! Billy reminded me that tomorrow was 'Wordless Wednesday.' I think my father's 'blog keys' should have come with an instructional manual!!

Have a great day!
Karen

7:13 PM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Rachel your homage is very touching and beautiful! And I hope you had a nice Mother's Day!

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Belated Happy Mom's Day, Rachel.
This post is written with so much love, I can feel how much you miss your angel of a mom.
Thank you for sharing her photo and some of your precious memories of her. She sounds like someone I would have enjoyed knowing.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter