Thursday, July 12, 2007

Part 2 of my Going Back Home Visit

Here are some more pictures I took while we were out Monday. This first one with the verses was posted at a locked gate. This used to be an open road when we were kids. Now they are locked to keep 4 wheelers and such out. There were two men on a tractor and they made their way to us while we were taking these pictures. They looked kind of strange so we got in the car and left before they got over there. They had these same verses posted on both sides of the gates with lots of posted signs as well. It makes one think that they have encountered trespassers before!
This little church is where I went to when I was a child. It was right down the hill from our house and this is where we spent the night back on April 3, 1974 after the horrible tornados had come through. It was never locked back in those days.




We saw these cute ducks by the road and had to take a picture!




Next were these cows taking a rest from the heat under these trees.





We saw this one new little strange looking house. This country here is so lovely and the KY River is back along the bottom of the tree line from the hill behind. This had a deck on the back and it sits on a little knoll with a lovely view of the fields and the hills.





There was another house that I wanted to go to. You have to go back a lane and over a hill to get to the house. I visited this place so often as a child. The lady that lived there then was our closest neighbor and she and I used to ride horses together as well. She had a black and white spotted horse named Prince. This lane was also posted with signs on both sides of the lane with NO TRESPASSING. I tried to get my cousin to ignore those signs and drive on back in there. She said, "Rachel, did you ever see that movie 'Deliverance?'" I got tickled then and said, "Oh well, never mind. I guess we won't go back there then!!"

13 Comments:

Blogger Carole Burant said...

LOL After mentioning Deliverance I wouldn't have wanted to go on either! hehe I so enjoyed all your pictures once again...that house certainly is an odd shape, isn't it!! Love the little church...such a shame though that they now have to lock everything up...gone are the days where people could be trusted. xoxo

11:31 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

;0 Rachel, I am enjoying your trip back in time!! Hope there's more to come!


Junie

1:54 PM  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

Thanks for the trip to your childhood place. Very nice!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

About the sign on the post "Only in America!"

The little house is an effort to use the New England Saltbox House style. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/list/175_sal1.html

The ducks look like Muscovys, my favourite.

When I watched Deliverance I mourned the river. I understood after the movie was made the lovely river was flooded by a dam being constructed. Spoiled the movie for me.

I have a rude friend who drinks too much. He goes around saying "squeal like a pig, squeal like a pig." I wish he could for another mvie to quote from:)

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is a strange little house like it belongs to the old lady in the shoe story.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Now I have dueling banjo's playing in my head.
Thanks for these tours R.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

That little house really has a strange architecture ! so you continue your way back to the past,it's sometimes very strange when you see places today and they were so different when you lived there.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

This is a wonderful pair of tales, Rachel. I just about went there with you, from here.
We went to Alexandria, La, today. To do things for Mrs. Jim's mother's wrap-up in one long day.
It was kind of like your going back, but ours wouldn't be so interesting.
We did meet with Mrs. Jim's sister at the cemetery. This was the day to order her tombstone and they wanted it to pretty well match their father's.
..

12:12 AM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Great pictures Rachel. It sounds you had a great time. It is a shame that all the no trespassing signs were posted but the comment about "Deliverance" gave me a good laugh.
Ralph

8:00 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

That is a strange little house indeed. It would look great in a fairytale movie with little dwarves living there. Or maybe a movie like Harry Potter - have you seen The Weasley's house in those Potter movies??
I've got Potter on the brain; We just saw the new movie last night, and we are excited about the new book coming out this month!!

Okay, back to your post... :-)
Those verses are there to intimidate trespassers, I guess. I would have fled the coop as those men approached too!!!!

What a cute church. I'm sure you have many memories there.

10:28 AM  
Blogger nora leona said...

Lovely photos and and memories.
That house is really intriguing. I'd love to know its story.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I enjoyed looking at your pics and reading your part 2 of going back home and I'm glad your cousin didn't listen to you about entering a no trespassing zone. You just never know about people nowadays and you did mention those strange men.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Loved these posts about your childhood haunts Rachel, great photos too.

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter