Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tuesday Ramblings

I turn on the news, which I so seldom watch, and I hear reports of swine flu. I hadn't heard that one mentioned in a long time! I remember the swine flu from back in the 70's and they were giving vaccinations for it. I hope this new wave of it doesn't spread any farther than it already has.

Two weeks ago Sir Scarlet, one of my cats, was missing. He had been here the night before and then the next morning no Scarlet. Okay, no need for alarm. He's probably off hunting. As the day went on and no Scarlet I walked along the cliff and called for him with no results. Three days and no sign of him. My neighbor says he's probably off "tom catting," since he's not been neutered yet. I said, "Maybe, but he still seems young and innocent to me!"

That night I woke up around 3 a.m. for a bathroom call. As usual, I looked outside and wondered about Sir Scarlet and where he could be. I went outside and walked to the end of the porch and called for him again and did my "kitty kitty kitty" routine calling. At that time of the night it's quiet with no traffic noise, no noise from the lake, and the concrete plant is quiet. During the day you can hear traffic noise, at times, from 3 different roads. The bypass is about a mile from here and so is Hwy. 27. These both are heavily traveled areas. There is a concrete plant just behind the houses across the road, and believe me, it can be noisy, sometimes even late at night! You can't see it from here but we do get some dust at times and noise at times. Then on the other side is the lake which has the noise during the day of boats, talking, laughing, etc.

Anyway......as I stood there calling in the quiet of the night in my nightgown, I thought I heard a meow....so I called again louder. I listened and I could definitely hear a cat meowing and it sounded like it was coming from behind my neighbor's house over the hill, and it sounded pretty frantic. I came back in and put my pants, sweater, and shoes on. To make this story shorter (you're welcome!) Sir Scarlet was locked in the neighbor's garage. The next morning I went over and they let him out. He was one hungry cat! He had been in there 4 nights and 3 days! They had been gone and her Mom had been coming over in the evenings to feed their inside cats. She had opened the garage door briefly for something (it's a detached garage), and Sir Scarlet has went in and got himself locked in. I was very happy that we had this nice ending to the story...and so is Sir Scarlet!! They asked me the next day about Scarlet and how he was. I told them he was great and asked about how things were in their garage. They said, "Mouseless!!!"

Now, I have a question for all you folks, who surely know the answer! I saw an advertising sign on the back of a vehicle recently and it said they did "permanent makeup" and "ear stapling." Okay. I know what permanent makeup is, but what is ear stapling??? The only thing I can think of is if you think your ears are too big and need to be stapled back to the side of your head? Why would anyone need their ears stapled? Piercing I understand. Stapling I do not.

21 Comments:

Blogger Scarlet said...

I'm so glad you were able to hear Sir Scarlet and get him out of your neighbor's garage! Poor thing! :(

I'm sure he's happy to be home after spending four days on a mice diet. ;)

As for the ear stapling...ouch! I'm not a big fan of needles (or staples, for that matter!), so I'm not familiar with the term.

Happy Tuesday to you, Rachel! :)

7:31 AM  
Blogger Peggy said...

ear stapling?? never heard of it and don't think I want to. Glad Sir Scarlet is home safe and bet he won't venture in their garage anymore. LOL

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Linda in Erie said...

I'm so happy Sir Scarlet was OK. It's a good thing you called him in the quiet night.

I haven't heard of ear stapling, either, unless that is the new term for piercing.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I'm glad that Sir Scarlet is fine, home and safe. What an ordeal for that poor kitty.

Our neighbors cat got locked in a metal building for 3 weeks and you should have seen how skinny that kitten was when they finally found it. I don't know how the little thing survived.

As far as ear stapling I have no idea what it is. Maybe they fold their ear down or up and staple it in place there...I really don't know. I'll have to look at kids ears the next time I'm in a croud.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Granny Annie said...

I'll bet Sir Scarlet will be sticking closer to home for a while. We had a cat, Mrs. Tiggy Winkle, and she was locked in a neighborhood outdoor shed for one week!

Maybe the ear stapling is for weight loss like my tacks in my head.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Renie Burghardt said...

Hi Rachel,

The news about the swine flu is getting scarier by the minute!

Oh, I am so glad to hear you finally found Sir Scarlet! Poor kitty. What a relief it must have been to locate him. At least, he was safe inside a garage, although hungry, I'm sure.

I never heard of ear stapling either. But it sounds painful to me! If I had floppy ears that needed stapling, I would still not go for stapling them. I just would wear hats all the time. lol.

Have a good rest of the week.

Hugs,

Renie

4:33 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Great news about Sir Scarlet. The Missus would have stayed out all night until she found her kitty.

I think ear stapling is more like acupuncture to try and lose weight.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Ralph said...

Glad things turned out for Sir Scarlet and I have no idea what ear stapling is.
Remember the last time swine flu was here the the vacination killed more people than the flu did.
Ralph

7:07 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

Glad to hear bout your kitties and everything turning out okay

Stapling your ears is like hypnosis... kinda

Its for a goal in your life... weightloss, smoking, biting your nails...supposively by stapling yoru ears it helps with your goal. Some people swear by it...not me though. LOL

Hope all is well

Love, Jess

7:19 PM  
Blogger 4evergapeach said...

I'm so glad there was a happy ending to Sir Scarlet missing! Poor thing must have been scared. I'm glad he's safe and sound at home.

This swine flu is scary. I won't be taking any cruises any time soon.

I thought I'd heard it all, but ear stapling? Nope, not that one.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I think ear stapling might be for guys who are used to getting their ears boxed by their wives. If you staple them to your head then she won't notice them so much and will not think to do that as often.
..at least that's why I do it.

7:29 AM  
Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Rachel,

So glad you found the kitty! That same thing happened to my Tiger a couple years ago...got locked in our shed for 2 days!

Ear stapling???....That must be to pin the ears back if they stick out too far! lol-HAS to be that!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

It can be lovely at night. It has altogether different sounds, or no sound at all. I often am out in the wee hours of the morning with my dog where I can enjoy the night time. Here the big treat is to hear the wolves singing. But sometimes it is just an owl or a twig breaking in the bush and you are reminded of nocturnal movements of many animals.
I am far enough away that I cannot hear any traffic noise at night.

I am glad you could hear you cat in the quiet of the night.

3:55 PM  
Blogger nancygrayce said...

My cats won't even go near the door for fear they'll have to go outside!

I have permanent eyeliner, love it....but I believe ear stapling must be for weight loss. As a matter of fact I'm going to staple my ear right now!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

Oh I am so glad you went outside that night and heard Scarlet's meow. That could have been a cat-astrophe had you not found him soon enough. It does my heart good to hear stories like that...rescued in the nick of time.

I think ear tapling is like acupuncture.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Clara....in TN said...

I'm glad you found sir Scarlet. Poor thing! I had the same experience with my cat dissapearing, but I have never found mine! Houdini....I named him the right name! He got away from me one afternoon and has never returned. I keep looking in the road to see if he has been hit, but NOT! I think someone liked the way he looked and latched onto him. I miss him!

7:03 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I Googled "ear stapling", and it is used for weight loss.
It's sounds painful, so I'll keep my flab thank you very much!!

:-)

I'm so glad you found Sir Scarlet! I bet he was SO glad to see you and to be fed after all that time. Maybe he really DID eat a mouse or two in that garage, but he was still hungry and glad to be free.

2:29 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I never heard of stapling, OR, if I have I have completely forgotten what that is all about!

Poor Dear Sir Scarlet! How traumatic that must have been for him....! But good that there were some mice for him to sustain himself....Better than nothing, I guess, when you are locked up in a garage! What about water? They say Cats can live quite a long time without food, but not water,,,,
Poor little guy....It is wonderful that you actually heard him over there in the middle of the night!

11:40 PM  
Blogger possum said...

Trying to get caught up... it has been a crazy few weeks... But your poor kitty has had a rougher time that I, it seems. Poor BABY! I bet he thinks again before he goes in THAT garage again - or maybe anyone elses!
I used to LOVE the night noises at our place in the Poconos - then they put in Rte 80. It crosses our river about a quarter of a mile away. Now we hear a high pitched zinging noise, much like a mosquito, from the tires on the pavement, all night long, and the roar of the deisel engins as the trucks shift gear. I hate it.
I hear it is still quiet in the snow storms in the winter!

7:11 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Ear stapling? Is that anything like leg pulling?

2:36 PM  
Blogger nora leona said...

I imagine that Sir Scarlet shot out of that garage when it was opened! Was Jerry's cat in there too?

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counter